Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I Hated Mmorpgs Before This

OrokinNoob

Hello everyone and forum lurkers lol.

I'm one of those people who thought MMOs were for saps and could never meet the quality of console/commercial games. Wow, was I wrong.

I started playing Warframe about a week and a half ago and now....I'm ready to take on the whole genre lol. I watched the Freemmostation's video on YouTube of 2013's most anticipated. I never even would have heard of must of those games in GameInformer or my circle of friends, so glad to be here and hope to learn more from the community.

I love the community and seems like typing out messages, puts some buffer between idiots who just yell swears at each other. Thanks for the oppurtunity to play this awesome game, can't wait to get a commercial copy.

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying the game. Not sure what you mean by "commercial copy" though.

I mean a copy ready for retail and or in its final stage and ready for strictly commercial (money making use). Technically it is still in Closed Beta. They can take our money and change the entire game tomorrow, just like they have in the previous updates.

But commercial means basically final product. We'll probably get more cinematics, story and character elements then.

To the post earlier, I define MMO and RPG as broad categories. MMORPG is synonymous to the genre as well as certain titles. So we are both right.

Massive Multiplayer Online- Millions of players global: CHECK

Role Playing Game (a game usually defined as a player assuming a character role progressing through different story elements and events to progressively evolve their character in rank, skills or play style): CHECK

Mass Effect is an over the shoulder third person shooter, yet it is often referred to as an RPG. StarCraft is a strategic rpg, yet it is referred to as an MMORPG. Just because one game is a perfect example of an MMORPG doesn't mean they can all be defined by that game. Vice versa, they can all also be the same as a single genre.

Edited by OrokinNoob

StarCraft is a strategic rpg, yet it is referred to as an MMORPG. Just because one game is a perfect example of an MMORPG doesn't mean they can all be defined by that game. Vice versa, they can all also be the same as a single genre.

What on earth are you talking about?

Role Playing Game (a game usually defined as a player assuming a character role progressing through different story elements and events to progressively evolve their character in rank, skills or play style): CHECK

StarCraft is a strategic rpg, yet it is referred to as an MMORPG. Just because one game is a perfect example of an MMORPG doesn't mean they can all be defined by that game. Vice versa, they can all also be the same as a single genre.

What are you on about? First off typical MMOs are games in which you're actively (and passively) are connected to a persistent world. This game does not have this. Second I don't know a single person (and a lot of my hardcore SC2 players are diamond and master ranks) that referred to SC2 as an MMORPG. It's not MMO, S#&$ it's not even an RPG. It's an RTS plain and simple.

By your logic every game that has multiplayer is an MMO.

So far the only MMO shooter that I know of is Planetside *both 1 and 2*. 

As far as RPG I would agree, at the very slightest. RPGs suggest multiple roles and typically you need the other roles to complement yours. Warframe does this very very subtly with the frames. Still there's almost never a time you're in a group of 4 and wishing you had a healer or a tank etc. Though this is more of just my personal opinion and can totally see calling this and RPG.

​But definitely not an MMO.

Edit* Also to add there is no "commercial" release . It's a free game. Also Closed Beta is done. It's been Open Beta since it went on Steam. You don't seem to understand what a CLOSED beta means.

Edited by Mogar

Well, welcome to the community.

MMO is loosely defined and can be applied to all things that connect players together in a persistent world. In this case Warframe is pretty much barebone since our 'world' is now just a map of star system.

RPG is about assuming identity of a character. However, the more refined definition usually involve storyline and other stuffs as well. Not quite there yet.

I prefer Cooperative TPS more at the moment.( wait, cooperative? Oh well.)

I don't mean to nitpick this topic, but I have to politely and respectfully disagree with OrokinNoob saying this is an "MMORPG". While I agree that this is indeed an MMO, and that there is indeed some sort of "role" to play within the Warframe universe (rebelling against the forces that try to suppress your people, the Tenno), you are using the term more loosely than needed. Following your defintions, there is no such game that has multiplayer functionality that is not an MMORPG. In its most basic form, every multiplayer game has enough players that you can confidently say that there are hundreds, if not thousands, or million of players connecting from all over the world. Since you yourself defined MMO and RPG as 'broad categories", I can also say that, according to your logic, there is a role to play in every multiplayer game. if a role is not obvious(developer created), then roles are automatically created when you are trying to lead your team(you and anyone else that is on your side) to victory against the opposing team(the player you are competing against). The role in that case is to simply lead your team to victory by beating your opponents, typically by getting a higher score.

To go with a more specific and locked-down theme for this game, JRMC has nailed it perfectly. You cooperate with other players to take down various enemies. In its very essence, it is a shooter with a 3rd person perspective, hence Cooperative Third-Person Shooter. However, if you do not wish to go with specifics and wish to apply your broad theorem everywhere, then yes, Warframe is a Cooperative TPS MMORPG.

Starcraft, LoL, DotA, Hon, etc, have already been clearly established as RTS/MOBA's. In case you do not know what these acronyms stand for, Real Time Strategy and Massive Online Battle Arena.

TLDR: Your definitions are too broad and loose and basically say a super fancy version of "multiplayer". They don't explain specific genres. The word MMORPG doesn't tell me anything. There is a reason why MMORPG sites have filters such as "Action", "Adventure", "Martial Arts", "Sci-Fi". Unfortunately, sometimes titles are put up that don't belong in MMORPG sites, although they might feel like one. If I wanted to find Warframe through a search engine, Third Person Shooter should get me very close to it by means of a random search.

Edited by Ruzu

I mean a copy ready for retail and or in its final stage and ready for strictly commercial (money making use). Technically it is still in Closed Beta. They can take our money and change the entire game tomorrow, just like they have in the previous updates.

But commercial means basically final product. We'll probably get more cinematics, story and character elements then.

To the post earlier, I define MMO and RPG as broad categories. MMORPG is synonymous to the genre as well as certain titles. So we are both right.

Mass Effect is an over the shoulder third person shooter, yet it is often referred to as an RPG. StarCraft is a strategic rpg, yet it is referred to as an MMORPG. Just because one game is a perfect example of an MMORPG doesn't mean they can all be defined by that game. Vice versa, they can all also be the same as a single genre.

Typically the "Massive" part means persistant world and large-scale world events (20 man raids, 100 v 100 gvgs, 200 man battlefield), and usually some sort of resource choke/competition. The alert system and new operation/war thing is cool and all, but doesn't really make Warframe an MMO.

A true "RPG" usually has important character defining moments, and a story line. e.g.  if you're good/evil in ME, and who you sleep with, your relationship/friendliness with crew members, etc. Usually character stat progression is referred to as "RPG elements". A racing game where you can make your car faster is not an RPG, but if you add in things like faction alignment, rivalry systems, etc it could possibly called an RPG.

@ Planetside 1/2

Planetside feels like a large arena rather than living world. Firefall is probably a better example of a MMOshooter. Also, global agenda is sort of an MMORPG with shooting elements. Also possibly Defiance, but I haven't played either, only Firefall and Planetside 2.

TLDR: MMORPG, as most people see it, is not the proper description for Warframe. You can nitpick semantics, but the language is defined by how people use them.

Edited by ChaosBloodterfly

Hello everyone and forum lurkers lol.

I'm one of those people who thought MMOs were for saps and could never meet the quality of console/commercial games. Wow, was I wrong.

I started playing Warframe about a week and a half ago and now....I'm ready to take on the whole genre lol. I watched the Freemmostation's video on YouTube of 2013's most anticipated. I never even would have heard of must of those games in GameInformer or my circle of friends, so glad to be here and hope to learn more from the community.

I love the community and seems like typing out messages, puts some buffer between idiots who just yell swears at each other. Thanks for the oppurtunity to play this awesome game, can't wait to get a commercial copy.

Welcome to Warframe!

I'm happy you found it so much to your liking that it changed your entire view of MMOs, this is awesome!

Perhaps once it is a refined product it will even set new standards for others to follow.

The future is brimming with joy and new shinning content.

May we all enjoy great times everlasting together, cheers!

Well thank you all for proving my point. 4 of you gave very different, yet interchangeable answers to the fact that you can give anything a title and it will still fit in whatever genre to someone. Some people will call a game an MMO some will call it Co-OP FPS. Some people even argue over whether there should be a difference in acronyms for First Person Shooter (Call of Duty) and First Person Perspective (Dishonred/Farcry 3). I really don’t give a crap. I just play games.

Yes, I made a mistake referring to "closed" when I meant "open" beta, does that change the meaning of "commercial? No. "Free" games still have commercial releases, its part of the product development process. No matter how players acquire it, there is always a commercial release.  The game is still in development and is more for building to the point of reaching "commercial". I'm referring to the business term for those who still don't give a crap. When development testing is done and it is a full product, devs spend less time looking to fix bugs and apply new features and expanding the final product.

I am also glad RPG, role playing game, has so many definitions to you all who defined under “your” definition. Congratulations, you are now part of the percentage that thinks one way, while others think differently. RTS vs RTS RPG....same thing, rather you are a tactician, space captain, fleet commander, whatever you are placed in the role of some character you are not in real life. Some people call Civilization and Simcity the same, others say they are different. It doesn't matter to me.

LOL, so thanks for the great welcome, who would have thought that a simple phrase "take on the whole genre" would get me so much attention from people wanting to tell me I'm wrong, partly right and give their opinion while insulting me for saying everyone sees games differently.

I also appreciate the new genre "labels" to add to games I've played and knew about, yet never would've called them the same.