The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... Cosmic Break And It's Potential(?) Sequal

Yazeth

If you haven't heard of Cosmic Break, here's my quick summary:

Cosmic Break is a Sci-Fi third person shooter that features bots. Heavily influenced with Japanese culture, the game has a mix of Gundam and the bishojo (cute girl) from your typical anime and mangas. A NA server was set up and the game fully released in December 23, 2010

My review:

The gameplay is really fun and amazing. With a multitude of bots, parts, and weapons, you are given a great amount of flexibility in how you want to play. There are also stats you can specialize in, such as better flight speed, run speed, dmg, etc. The graphics, although blocky and simplistic, give off a nice appeal to me. You are also able to upgrade your equipment as well with materials like in an RPG game. Finally, although the game focuses more on PvP, the PvE aspect of the game is enjoyable, and some missions provides some nice goodies.

The game falls short and sadly fail in its monetization aspect. Starting players would easily be overwhelmed by paying players right in the beginning. The separation between the newer and older players through the use of rooms exclusives to only the starting players does not help the situation, since a starting player could put in enough money in the game and be able to fight alongside the veterans, or at least not die instantly like the other starting players. This ultimately drew the majority away, leaving the server with a measly 200 players online on average (for the NA server). 

Now, why am I talking about this game? Well, Cyberstep, the developers of Cosmic Break, had recently started a Kickstarter for a sequal of the game, Cosmic Break 2. The game features better graphics and a few new mechanics that are not that impressive. I am pretty surprised that the team made such a move, since of the lack of players they have. I'm still surprised that they only shut down one server, the EU server, and they still have a number of servers running in other regions as well.

Well, I guess this just show how whales can be a driving force for a game.

Link to their Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/709332004/cosmicbreak-2

I've been playing Comic break since it's release. Sadly the down fall of the game was the way it was run and how they turned it into a money sink. I've been a few hundred dollars if not in the thousands by now because why not on the game and I can play terribly and still not be damaged usually. Even if they did go through with any sequel I am hesitant in putting faith in their ability to properly run a game like that. If they do everything right they can easily revive the community and bring new players in since it is indeed such a good game. But they'll have a lot to prove to people, I believe they aren't doing the best for onigiri either. The game will always be fun, but yeah for the above reasons is why it declined. 

The server only has 200 players online at all times, during events, without events, it's at 100 and below.

Monetization was one of the problems that killed any fun in it, others being how poorly optimized it is (it runs worse than Warframe does on my computer, which just by that, is terrible) and how no base mechanics got updated ever since... forever (in Warframe we get 2.0, in Cosmic Break it never got past 1.0 in much longer period of time). And what ultimately killed any potential players that doesn't sink hundreds and hundreds of dollars in the game was the lack of balance, since the game is meant to be PvP (PvE is a bonus).

They shutdown 2 servers, EU and BR. EU never took off properly since it was awfully expensive, and most players that would play on EU would not do so since they already had an account in EN, filled with good things, many had charge in EN as well, so no reason to change server to only end up starting over. That meant that they would have to rely on new players mostly of it to take off. And then even though they had more "free" stuff, the same problems that I mentioned above still applied anyway.

For CB2, they already confirmed that Garapon will stay, and they don't seem any interested into changing into a different monetization system. They did mentioned that there will be parts/bots/whatever on the shop and dropping as well, and that there would be other methods to get parts, but honestly, you can say that about CB(1) as well, they didn't really say anything actually new, they didn't mention how much they are changing out of gara.

They did mention that they might do like other games, where if you roll like, 50+$ on a gacha, they give you a guaranteed rare. This is not a better system, because they are still asking you to gamble ridiculous amounts of money, and they can make 1~3 gachas every month if they want (they will probably have 1 per month at least). There's also how some games give you rares if you spend XX$, and then make mega rare items to make people roll harder. In short, improving a terrible system that will never be good, isn't any better.

I'm honestly just waiting to see how much gara will limit the game, and if there is actual good ways to get EVERYTHING without gambling or without a poor band-aid system that will take you longer to get a decent amount of items than the game will last (ala lotto cubes). But for now, with them confirming that gara will stay, I don't have any hopes for it, nor feel interested in it, even when some things look better, because I don't like being vastly limited because I can't sink XXX$ per month on it.

I'm much better here in Warframe than in a game like that. Even if RNG makes me farm for hours in here, I know that everything that is gameplay related, doesn't require me to spend hundreds of dollars, they don't ask me to spend plat on void keys to get better content, they don't limit the amount of keys I can get per day, and even if I get sick of farming and getting screwed by the RNG, I can just pop a couple of dozens of plat and get the part/mod I want. (And I actually want buy some plat once I have enough money, despite having enough plat right now to last me for a long while, since I'm constantly trading stuff. I don't need to buy plat, but I'm whiling to because I feel that in a way, the developer deserves the money for what they did, despite how they also make mistakes some times.)

CS had a great idea, they made a fun game with an interesting system, but they couldn't keep their game healthy, they couldn't keep developing the game basics into something even better, all they did was rely on garapon without doing anything else to make the game better, no wonder it met it's fall so early.

Edited by Sorrow0110

ello, been playing CB1 since Open Beta

imo, the biggest problem for me in this game was that lack of "Upgrades" in this game

and by upgrades i mean, one Unit Evolving into another. it was do-able in this game, but saddly only 1 character could "Upgrade" itself (Some Blond Girl named Crimrose) but even then, there was like 5-6 other forms of her that she could not turn into (LAMBA, LE, OMEGA, random name, i donno)

the only way to access the "Upgraded" versions of her was to slap money into the Game and start rolling large ammounts of money into a Gambleing System in hopes to her, and her alternate modes were usally at the top tire rewards making it very Rare

(1/3 chance to get a Chance to get a gold ball, then there is like another 1/16 chance to get the unit you want with the 4$US per roll, 16$ for 5 rolls)

Edit: (Continue Rant) Gara is a big problem becasue almost 70% of all the characters / Robots in the game are locked behind the Garapon with no other way to obtain then, there is a Trade in game system, but you can't trade any items obtained by Cash (Gara units), and the last time the shop was updated was 3 or 4 years ago, meaning all the unitsi n the shop are all useleass compared to all the new Upgraded and up-to-date units

Edited by trieuazn0

More like, 95% of the characters are gara only, if not higher. Even the blue balls in gara got worse with time. Before they were kinda alright, then they got worse and worse, now you can get a blue ball with items that you can get for free.

Yeah, only Crimrose got the promotion, well, 2 promotions now (3 if you consider summer to be something different), and Ouka got it too, but Ouka wasn't an evolution, more like a sidegrade. It also felt really bad when UC bots got variants on gara only. I felt slightly mad and disappointed when Destructor Max was put on the Mega gara. Even though I got him there, it still left a bitter taste in the end.

During some events they put some gara moes on the shop for UC, and adding to the fact that they were 1s, which with locked parts on some it can be terrible, some also had gimped parts (I think that it was Regina and Lala that got less ammo on their core ability).