The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Riddance To Downvotes!

Naked

Lame people make company do lame things,freedom of speech?Yea right.If u wasnt wrong or giving stupid thoughts on the forum u wouldnt be downvoted in first place......This was a lame move as far as i am concerned.

Wrong.  The people who were upset by downvoting are people who are expressing legit opinions.  There was no "speech" involved in downvotes, which was part of the problem.  People would downvote without having any good reason for it, as with the glaive example.

Lame people make company do lame things,freedom of speech?Yea right.If u wasnt wrong or giving stupid thoughts on the forum u wouldnt be downvoted in first place......This was a lame move as far as i am concerned.

I agree with you so I am upvoting you to show my appreciation for your wonderful, thoughtful and gut wrenching input.

Wrong.  The people who were upset by downvoting are people who are expressing legit opinions.  There was no "speech" involved in downvotes, which was part of the problem.  People would downvote without having any good reason for it, as with the glaive example.

Wrong.  There is speech involved in downvoting.  It expresses negative feelings towards the post in question.  It fails to elaborate on the cause or justification of these feelings be it disagreement or spite.  If people were having their feelings hurt about downvotes in the glaive discussions, they should have stayed out of them.  You're free to say (most) anything on these forums, but the community was free to disagree and downvote you too.

Edited by Kyrkitao

If forum moderators did their job and delete stupid posts which had tendency to repeat evry five minutes in first place we wouldnt be on this discussion now and downvote button would be still around.

Yeah, what he said! What kind of bullsh** is thi- Oh, crap. Wait. That means me doesn't it?

Awwwwkward.

Anyhoo, the removal has little to do with trollposting. The forums have been doing fairly well, you guys have been excellent to each other, which is awesome!

In two years we will sit back and talk about good ol' beta days where the forum had this button making people go red.

Red posts are now an exclusive. A new era has begun!

Edited by SymphNo9

There is speech involved in downvoting.

Speech is vocal/oral communication, so no.

Clicking a little red button and doing nothing else is not proper communication. It's unreliable and was barely constructive, which should have been easy to see.

Anyhoo, the removal has little to do with trollposting. The forums have been doing fairly well, you guys have been excellent to each other, which is awesome!

You know that directly contradicts what DERebecca said, right?

He he but lets face it opening 20+ posts on glaive for example makes people really annoyed i for one am sick of crying topics i didnt get my vandal that,my glaive,etc...Like the world is going to end if u dont have that one item..Eh the curses of evry game going huge....

Speech is vocal/oral communication, so no.

Clicking a little red button and doing nothing else is not proper communication. It's unreliable and was barely constructive, which should have been easy to see.

Your reduction to semantics frustrates me.  I was maintaining the semantics of the post I quoted without the (unnecessary) air quotes.  We were clearly referring to speech in the same way that the US constitution has been interpreted to refer to speech.  

That is not a relevant distinction within the concept of "free speech".

Free speech?

I was just giving the definition of speech.

Your reduction to semantics frustrates me.  I was maintaining the semantics of the post I quoted without the (unnecessary) air quotes.  We were clearly referring to speech in the same way that the US constitution has been interpreted to refer to speech.  

Well, that's unfortunate.

Alright, so I wasn't misinformed - I just didn't get the same idea as you from reading this. I'm glad I didn't just miss some info, that is always a possibility if I have to pop away from my computer for a spell.

I dunno. This weekend has been pretty amicable. I don't feel like anything has really gotten horrible.

The topic of Upvotes/Downvotes has been talked about a fair amount. Maybe now is DE's verdict on the matter? That post doesn't really say anything but 'We got rid of it because it isn't doing any good'.

Edit: I think that, considering the response here, there should be some decent feedback spinning on good ways to do this better. Since that more or less seems to be well under way its all cool.

In my opinion they were toxic to the community.

Disagreement will now come in terms of a structured forum post instead of a button~ hopefully discussions will be better :D

Yeah .. like this: -1

Very constructive ^^

I was just going to ask if he had been on the internet, but yeah, the minus 1 was probably going to come around at some point.

Compared to other forums, the downvotes on these forums were actually fine.  While there might have been people that would rampantly downvote a post the moment it was not exactly as they liked, there were still plenty of downvotes against posts that weren't good.  Just becuase someone got a downvote did not mean that they were being unfairly downvoted.  It meant that someone didn't like the post.

Considering that it was only about that post, downvotes weren't the worst possible thing.  As it is, I saw more green numbers and piles of upvotes for posts of +1 or other mindless innapropriate posts, then I saw downvotes for bad posts.

I would prefer either no vote system, or the possibility to vote either way.  Especially when it is only about the posts.  It doesn't affect the poster either way, and most people read the post before looking at the vote.  The little red white or green number was not the most important part of a post.

Perhaps instead of removing the downvote, we should just remove the red number.  Make it so that the post can be 0 or positive.  Don't let people see if it goes negative.  The red number is probably more damaging then the downvote.

Edited by JHarlequin

the only reason the op of this tread has any upvotes is because we have no downvotes.

That's silly.

If people like his post, they'd still like it regardless of what vote option we have. Why would people who don't like it up-vote it?

Yeah but I think he's originally referring to the fact that someone can downvote someone else with no reason, just because...

Having upvotes only is a showing of positive re-enforcement, meaning if a post is supported or is a popular view, it's a good way to let the poster know they're on track.

About frustrations and the US constitution, this is a private forum and by posting we're agreeing to follow the rules and ways of this forum.  While it's great to be able to freely express our opinion here, I just don't think it's wise for any user to be able to say anything they want, just because...