Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shadows Of The Dead Augment: Shadow Dynamo

(PSN)DanceOnUrGav3

So, we all know that nekros is mostly used for his desecrate ability. There's no denying he's good at creating extra loot. But, what he's SUPPOSED to be good at, is raising an army of the dead.  While the recent nekros changes have helped him out considerably, I had an idea for an augment to take things one step further. 

Soul Dynamo: Shadows of the Dead augment- when an enemy is killed by a shadow, that shadow has its health restored. If said is at full health, power duration is increased by 3 seconds. 

The amount of health restored would be effected by power strength, while the time bonus would be effected by power duration.

This augment would allow one to create a force to be reckoned with, when modded correctly. Or at the very least, allow you to get a little extra time out of your shadows of you have a short duration build. 

I've really come to like nekros since his changes, and is like to hear what you guys think about this idea. 

Edited by (PS4)DanceOnUrGav3

I'd rather his abilities be improved without the use of an augment. I shouldn't have to sacrifice a mod slot that's already being used for power strength or duration for the sake of making an ability actually worthwhile.

this. With despoil and soul survivor I always just feel weak. I think nekros should have higher base hp for what they are trying to do with him. The fact is that all power mods are desired on nekros (strength, duration, efficiency, range) unless you are focusing on certain abilities, so augments really need to have a BIG impact to be worth the tradeoff.

Edited by FatalOath

I haven't checked the mechanics of SoD since the recent patches but the only possible reworks, could be giving him more hp I have no idea why it's so low. Make terrify make enemies get stunned in fear instead of running around making it not worth it half the time. And also making SoD mobs draw 100% aggro and make more aggressively. Anything else I don't see reasonable. 

Nekros seems fine to me as it is but hey, who wouldn't want some improvements? His recent buffs were pretty great too considering SoTD build now is more viable to compete on the fun factor (Am I the only one who's enjoying this?)

What disappoints me would be some squads actually complain whenever I use a different build, not specializing in desecrate.

To OP : Your idea sounds pretty decent but yeah, the shadows summoned have quite a bad AI to me especially for the grineer and corpus. I know that it's necessary for them to run and take cover (Not to mention they hide more than they shoot) but I don't think it is suitable since Nekros is the summoner, he should have the power to control the shadows. Maybe I'm just a little bit sadistic on this.....

His recent buff was more than enough to ask for. It'd better just to make it an augment, a lot of frames have skills that aren't worthwhile. Hence, the point of augments

Let's be honest here: No, it wasn't.

Soul Punch can finally be cast while doing most other things. Cool, it should have been that way from the start. Now about making it actually more useful. Make it do more damage, give it the armor reduction that Terrify has, or make it reliably hit more than just the one enemy you target.

Terrify can finally be re-cast while it's active. Cool, it should have been that way from the start. Now remove the target limit and keep it short range, or put the range back where it was. I vote remove the target limit. Also add a slow component, or make them cower in fear, or make them run roughly in place where they are when Terrify hits them.

Shadows of the Dead finally allows players to walk through them and they are actually improved versions of enemies killed in order to summon them. Cool, it should have been that way from the start. Now allow friendly players to see and shoot through them, make them cause extra threat, make them not spend 90% of their time hiding in cover and not shooting, make them actually follow the player around or able to be given commands, and increase the duration or the damage more so they actually feel like they kill something. Right now they are just an ineffective distraction and a small damage contribution. Nothing about this ability feels powerful or even particularly useful. At least they have enough health to stay alive a little while now.

And above all change Desecrate to something entirely different and increase loot drops to make up some of the difference. The fact that this ability still exists in its current form just feels insulting. A reasonable boost in health wouldn't hurt either.

All his buff did was get him basically to where he should have been from the beginning. Now he needs a bit more to get him to where he actually should be.

Edited by Centias

I'd rather his abilities be improved without the use of an augment. I shouldn't have to sacrifice a mod slot that's already being used for power strength or duration for the sake of making an ability actually worthwhile.

While a buff to abilities is always welcome, I think this is the sort of tweak that fits better as an augment. It has potential but at the sacrifice of a mod slot. Otherwise the ability itself would be too OP

this. With despoil and soul survivor I always just feel weak. I think nekros should have higher base hp for what they are trying to do with him. The fact is that all power mods are desired on nekros (strength, duration, efficiency, range) unless you are focusing on certain abilities, so augments really need to have a BIG impact to be worth the tradeoff.

The potential to have an unkillable army in endless mission types is a "BIG" impact on my opinion 

I haven't checked the mechanics of SoD since the recent patches but the only possible reworks, could be giving him more hp I have no idea why it's so low. Make terrify make enemies get stunned in fear instead of running around making it not worth it half the time. And also making SoD mobs draw 100% aggro and make more aggressively. Anything else I don't see reasonable. 

The buff was double the HP of the enemies tar made the shadows, as well as two and a half times their attack. My shadows have had no problem crushing the opposition since the buff

His recent buff was more than enough to ask for. It'd better just to make it an augment, a lot of frames have skills that aren't worthwhile. Hence, the point of augments

The augments should not be a way to make an ability useful.
They should already be that and the augments only exist to tweak for a particular playstyle.

The augments should not be a way to make an ability useful.
They should already be that and the augments only exist to tweak for a particular playstyle.

In my opinion, the recent buff made shadows of the dead a useful ability. This proposed augment is to help people who want to focus on that ability, nothing more 

So, we all know that nekros is mostly used for his desecrate ability. There's no denying he's good at creating extra loot. But, what he's SUPPOSED to be good at, is raising an army of the dead.  While the recent nekros changes have helped him out considerably, I had an idea for an augment to take things one step further. 

Soul Dynamo: Shadows of the Dead augment- when an enemy is killed by a shadow, that shadow has its health restored. If said is at full health, power duration is increased by 3 seconds. 

The amount of health restored would be effected by power strength, while the time bonus would be effected by power duration.

This augment would allow one to create a force to be reckoned with, when modded correctly. Or at the very least, allow you to get a little extra time out of your shadows of you have a short duration build. 

I've really come to like nekros since his changes, and is like to hear what you guys think about this idea. 

It's not good.

Because in high level missions Shadows doesn't pull out enough damage to kill anything, and because their own AI isn't enough kamikaze to make it work.

Also, I don't see any use for it.

PS: Even if it would be possible to make it working, It wouldn't have a positive effect on the team. Since you can pass through Shadows, they still block fire line, if they were to persist and become more numerous it would just make more confusion than anything else.

Also:

1) actually you can keep up resummoning Shadows every time with no problem, so I don't see why you have to make them last longer (over being lazy);

2) you can yet make a greater army by stacking Power Strenght.

In the end there isn't a valuable outcome from it, neither talking about funny mechanichs neither about gameplay advantage.

On a less important point.. What's up with the "dynamo" thematic? It's not that much coherent.

Edited by Burnthesteak87

It's not good.

Because in high level missions Shadows doesn't pull out enough damage to kill anything, and because their own AI isn't enough kamikaze to make it work.

Also, I don't see any use for it.

PS: Even if it would be possible to make it working, It wouldn't have a positive effect on the team. Since you can pass through Shadows, they still block fire line, if they were to persist and become more numerous it would just make more confusion than anything else.

Also:

1) actually you can keep up resummoning Shadows every time with no problem, so I don't see why you have to make them last longer (over being lazy);

2) you can yet make a greater army by stacking Power Strenght.

In the end there isn't a valuable outcome from it, neither talking about funny mechanichs neither about gameplay advantage.

On a less important point.. What's up with the "dynamo" thematic? It's not that much coherent.

My shadows have been working just fine in T4S more than 30 minutes into the mission. This is because they are more powerful than the enemies they're made from. Not being able to shoot through them is only a problem if everyone is huddled together. I've only been using nekros for the past 4 days, spamming shadows of the dead, with zero complaints from my squad mates. The reason I suggested this augment is for those who run builds focused on power strength. Doing so will dramatically increase the cost, while decreasing duration. The augment would help counteract this by allowing the shadows to survive longer and giving them added time before the expire, so a power strength build is more viable. And if they can stay alive longer and keep harassing enemies, then they can keep enemies busy for the rest of the squad to operate unhindered. 

As far as the "Dynamo thematic" is concerned, a Dynamo is a synonym for engine. If the shadows use new souls to fuel their own life force, it's life an engine that runs on souls 

The shadows seem to last long enough if I build for it and now I can with the despoil mod freeing me to do so.

He has been one of my favorite frames and he has gotten better. I think a good mod for shadows would when they die they turn to gas clouds for a moment. You get some extra damage but nothing game breaking.