Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Blizzard To Sell Game Time For Gold/gold For Money In Wow

Vargras

Blizzard recently announced plans to introduce tokens to World of Warcraft. These can be purchased with real money, with two potential uses within the game: players may either sell them to other players for gold, or they may be redeemed for game time. It's worth noting that such a system is similar to the PLEX system used in EVE, in which players can buy/sell game-time with virtual currency, in addition to being able to purchase it with real currency (for the purposes of selling it to others).

Current speculation as to why Blizzard is doing this (and now, of all times) is still up in the air, but it's possible it was done to try and combat hacking attempts -- the majority of hacked accounts are players who attempted to buy gold from third-party websites, with most of that same gold being taken from hacked accounts.

If only you could but them straight-up with Gold, I might actually return to WoW. But, as it stands, there's no way in hell I'd be able to make enough gold to afford the obviously ludicrous prices being thrown out for these things.

If only you could but them straight-up with Gold, I might actually return to WoW. But, as it stands, there's no way in hell I'd be able to make enough gold to afford the obviously ludicrous prices being thrown out for these things.

Prices won't be set by players, it seems.

Prices won't be set by players, it seems.

Yep. Based upon the Q&A, all tokens will have a set price when you put them up for auction -- this price will change dynamically based upon servers, but it seems it can't be set by players.