The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Butchery Of Frames

If you call the design of chroma going in the right direction then the driver is drunk, asleep, and is on drugs! 

If this is the direction new frames are going then we really have to change that ASAP. How does Chroma stick to anything tenno? It does not look like the older frames, it is not sleek, it is far too busy, it looks more infested than like a dragon, and it is just plain ugly!

People have had a problem with frame designs in the past being too literal. This one approached the dragon theme from a new angle, being dragon-esque while not plainly spelling out what it's supposed to be. 

We get it, you don't like it. I'd personally suggest taking a chill pill though. 

People have had a problem with frame designs in the past being too literal. This one approached the dragon theme from a new angle, being dragon-esque while not plainly spelling out what it's supposed to be. 

We get it, you don't like it. I'd personally suggest taking a chill pill though. 

If I am not passionate about whatever topic I speak of then it is not likely that I will speak.

THIS is something I am particularly passionate about! DE REALLY screwed up the design this time! I was fine with Zephyr, Hydroid, limbo, and Mirage, BUT THIS. This is an abomination! 

Mesa creates bullet from nothing. Her fingers have holes at the end

Hydroid can turn himself into water.

Excalibur creates swords out of energy

Ash can somehow spontaneously exist in 3 places at once.

Do tell, are any of these not 'silly' to some extent?

These things are cool and practical(as far as gameplay is concerned), it fits their themes. However, if the theme is a "dragon" then they could at least make the most iconic quality of being a dragon work well, a "dragon" that shoot fire from it's forehead hat thing is just an abomination.

It's like DE tried as much as they could to make the frame as little as related to dragons as possible be it easter or western mythology.. It does not share any of the dragon qualities.

Doesn't have scales

Doesn't have proud/powerful look

Doesn't have horns/teeth/spikes

Any of the above with any quantity of it would be dragon-enough for everyone, but......no. Doesn't have a single thing.

The only thing that seahorse shares with dragons is the spiky body, which Chroma does.not.have.

The only thing that's sea-horsey(reeeeeemotely dragon related) about Chroma is the "mouth"(which is apparently a forehead now lmao), but saying that it might as well be a trumpet frame.

t6ILDVG.jpg

Boy, they really butchered it this time.

Edited by kiteohatto

Doesn't have scales

Doesn't have proud/powerful look

Doesn't have hornsteeth/spikes

It has all of those motifs and then some, just combined in a way that doesn't obviously scream dragon. Isn't that what people were asking for after Limbo and Mesa?

If anything, I think this design is a reaction to feedback on the themes of recent frames.

Sigh...

This is a Dragon:

Black-Dragon.jpg

This is not a Dragon:

1413473297843_wps_111_dmvidpics_2014_10_

This is an anteater wrapped in bacon:

ruXozXO.png

Why???  =(

Edit:  I shall anxiously await his alternate helm...  Perhaps he can be saved.

To be fair, a straight up dragon wouldn't have been possible.

But a pseudo-dragon, yes. Could've gone with something like this:

DragonbornFighter_byWillOwen.jpg

But no, lets make it look like an infested freak of nature.

Yea, I know that the goal is to make them futuristic but organic at the same time. Zeyphr was a nice mix but still unfavorable. Chroma looks too damn organic and busy. I was expecting a much sleeker design to be honest. The thing looks more like an infested than a dragon.

I agree, I don't care how much it does or doesn't look like a dragon I just dislike the design as it's too busy. There's no areas of rest on him it's just all infested looking greebles, it's not good design. This is something Zephyr and to a lesser extent Oberon and Hydroid also have, a design that's just too busy.

That said I'm ok with Zephyr, Oberon and even Hydroid has grown on me so I'm sure I'll get used to Chroma. Still feels like the artist should have taken a step back from the design now and again, as an artist myself I understand it's easy to get caught up in details but having awesome details doesn't make a cohesive composition. 

I really like the first set of original frames much better (kinda up until Banshee and Saryn).  In my opinion DE needs to stand firm on their own art and not allow themselves to be steered so heavily by an extremely vocal minority.

They should poll on which frames players look best and get a "feel" for what direction they want to take their art in, BUT still use their own designs because that is what brought them success in the first place.

I'm not saying to not consider feedback.  I'm saying not to give into who shouts the loudest.

Just my feels...  =/

Edited by sushidubya

According to your narrow Western views.

This is also a dragon

Chinese-Dragon-Green-17-large.jpg

Chroma looks more like an anteater wrapped in bacon than that dragon. An eastern dragon would've been totally awesome too.

There are so many good design possibilities for dragons, so many good. They experimented, it turned out badly and they went with it anyway.

Even though they've been holding Riot Moa from us precisely because they're not happy with the design, I've seen two good iterations of Riot Moa that blows Chroma out of the water.

I really hope they're trolling us.

Chroma looks more like an anteater wrapped in bacon than that dragon. An eastern dragon would've been totally awesome too.

There are so many good design possibilities for dragons, so many good. They experimented, it turned out badly and they went with it anyway.

Even though they've been holding Riot Moa from us precisely because they're not happy with the design, I've seen two good iterations of Riot Moa that blows Chroma out of the water.

I really hope they're trolling us.

Agreed.

More silly than the notion of a nonexistent creature having to look a certain way?

Yes, dragons have traditional significance in several cultures. In all of them they are powerful and majestic. This is nothing like a dragon from any culture, if you showed without telling me it was the new dragon frame I would've thought it was a joke or some new infested enemy, it makes no sense to call this weird looking monster a dragon.

Yes, dragons have traditional significance in several cultures. In all of them they are powerful and majestic. This is nothing like a dragon from any culture, if you showed without telling me it was the new dragon frame I would've thought it was a joke or some new infested enemy, it makes no sense to call this weird looking monster a dragon.

Ant eaters are highly respected in some cultures too

I guess...

So you were expecting a literal dragon? Not a humanoid creature with draconic aspects?

So you were expecting a literal dragon? Not a humanoid creature with draconic aspects?

Your arguments are horrible.

We were expecting something that has some dragon qualities that are shared between east/west mythologies. Chroma does not have any, apart from the fact that it breathes fire, but fire spitter in circus can do that too, so they must be dragons by DE's and your standards.

Out of all the animals they could have gotten the inspiration from they took the one that has the least relevance.

They could have used

-alligators/crocs

-lizards

-snakes

-moray eels

-some deep sea fish

Any of the above are more dragon than a seahorse is.

-alligators/crocs

-lizards

-snakes

-moray eels

-some deep sea fish.

They used practically all of those!

On the thighs and back there is a scale pattern. On the chest there are ridges like an alligator or an eastern dragon, and overlapping plates covering a leathery interior. The way the shoulders and ams are shaped and the placement of the "wings" on the back evokes the large shoulders/wing joints dragons are often depicted with. The way the legs are shaped mimic the digitigrade hind legs modern dragons have.

Do you guys not see this? The frame as a whole is not exactly a dragon, but it's made up of the design cues commonly associated with dragons.

They used practically all of those!

On the thighs and back there is a scale pattern. On the chest there are ridges like an alligator or an eastern dragon, and overlapping plates covering a leathery interior. The way the shoulders and ams are shaped and the placement of the "wings" on the back evokes the large shoulders/wing joints dragons are often depicted with. The way the legs are shaped mimic the digitigrade hind legs modern dragons have.

Do you guys not see this? The frame as a whole is not exactly a dragon, but it's made up of the design cues commonly associated with dragons.

I honestly don't see it, all i see is an infested mob that has taken some qualities from a seahorse and strapped an ignis to the head.

Your arguments are horrible.

We were expecting something that has some dragon qualities that are shared between east/west mythologies. Chroma does not have any, apart from the fact that it breathes fire, but fire spitter in circus can do that too, so they must be dragons by DE's and your standards.

Out of all the animals they could have gotten the inspiration from they took the one that has the least relevance.

They could have used

-alligators/crocs

-lizards

-snakes

-moray eels

-some deep sea fish

Any of the above are more dragon than a seahorse is.

No, you were expecting a dragonknight or rhino 2.0 and you know it. The list of creatures you gave? Simply things you would have accepted as possible sources of inspiration. There is no reason for sea horses to be excluded. Certain sea horses resemble dragons and you know it. Don't be ignorant and bias just because it failed to meet your expectations.

I honestly don't see it, all i see is an infested mob that has taken some qualities from a seahorse and strapped an ignis to the head.

Try stepping back from the initial hate for a second. Actually look at it.

I'm not sure where people got seahorse from, I don't see that at all.

A humanoid creature with draconic aspects is exactly what I expected.

For the love of Cthulhu don't tell me the Chroma looks like a humanoid with draconic aspects. It looks like an anteater.

One Day DE will come out with a frame that I think looks EPIC but today is not that day, after a year break from WF (before rhino prime came out) i come back to see imo a circus of frames instead of some new epic space ninjas im sure tons of people love the new guys but I'm not reaching for my wallet anytime soon