Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Windows Surface Pro 2 Or Nvidia Shield Tablet? (Off Topic)

Vitras

For starters, please no bad mouthing Microsoft just because it's Microsoft, make sure there's a real reason if there will be any complaints.

Since this is the only gaming/PC/tech/geek community I'm a part of, I thought I should come here for some guidance.

So about 3 years ago I bought a refurbished Alienware x51 (wanted to save some money for a decent rig) with Win7 and I'm still using it. The Nvidia driver updates and a little overclocking are keeping it in surprising good shape, so no complaints there.

Then last year I got a Windows 8 phone just for the heck of it and was pleasantly surprised. It's hard to explain why I like it, it just fits me very well, even more after the WP 8.1 update.

So after loving the phone, I started thinking about getting a Windows Surface. The thing that really appeals to me about it is how it's basically a mini PC. You might say just get a laptop, but I hate laptops due to a frustrating experience, which made this seem ideal for me. There was also the of using it for college courses if needed.

And now today I realized there is not only the Nvidia Shield Portable, but an actual tablet. Since my PC isn't beefy enough to take advantage of the game streaming, the option of the portable went out the window, but the tablet still stuck. I'm tempted to get it because of the Android aspect, as I've been kind of curious. Previously, I had gotten a cheapo tablet just to see what it would be like but just ended up with mixed feelings.

The Windows Surface Pro 2 with 128GB is looking to be in the $600-$700 range, while the Nvidia Shield tablet is about $400 for the 32GB, which seems fair to me considering what each of them are. Something that I like about both of them is they both have a nice stylus.

I'm kinda feeling like someone has to smack me in the face to forget about the Shield. Help?

If you feel as though you must have a tablet/PC/hybrid/thing, skip Surface Pro 2 and go for Surface Pro 3. It's much better all around.

An Nvidia Shield tablet would be better for gaming, however, between Nvidia GRID streaming and Shield streaming from desktops/laptops with supported GTX GeForce cards.

bah, i wanted to suggest a Surface Pro 4 as it would have Broadwell Processors in it - but the Surface Pro 4 is going to have super gimped Hardware, so nevermind.

if you can find a Tablet with a not garbage Broadwell Processor and also a decent GPU (i don't think anyone makes Tablets with discrete GPU's though (maybe they will after Nvidia's 'GM 200' series, here's hoping), off the top of my head), that would be a great choice for general purpose stuff.

battery life would be fairly good then, and would be able to handle most tasks still.

in the meantime the Surface Pro 3 is fairly good. a friend of mine loves hers, it has enough horsepower to get things done, but it's still a Tablet.

13 is probably right that the Shield Tablet, while not particularly awesome on it's own, does also support streaming from an Nvidia based Desktop which would allow you more flexibility if playing games or whatever on your Tablet is your thing.

I've been doing a little research on the Surface Pro 3, and I think I'll get that instead. It's larger with a nicer stylus and a better kickstand plus all of the little improvements. 

I don't think I'd do much gaming on a tablet in the end, since I still have my desktop in good shape (which still surprises me).

Thanks for the help. : )