The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Degrading Performance Over Time

Hmuda

So, the thing is that my performance over time gets degraded as I play. it starts out just fine, 120 FPS without vsync, absolute max settings, works beautifully. But after about 2-3 missions, the game starts to get choppy, freezing for a fraction of a second in regular intervals, and as the session goes on, these freezes become longer and more frequent.

They start out like 0.1 second freeze every 2 seconds, but as I play they start to climb into 0.5 second long freezes every 1.5 seconds.

To be clear, I did unpark my CPUs, but they show a steady ~50-60% usage throughout my session on all cores, so CPU is not the bottleneck. I enabled vsync to lower the GPU usage from 120 FPS to 60 FPS, but still no cake.

So any ideas? I love the game, but I'd prefer if I could play more than 2 missions per session. :/

Forgot to mention that it's a laptop.

CPU: i7-4710MQ

GPU: GeForce GTX 870M

RAM: 8GBs DDR3

VRAM: 6GBs DDR5

Downloading EVGA to check the GPU load, though I doubt that's the bottleneck. I also suspect some memory leak issues here, that's the next thing I intend to test.

Edited by Hmuda

laptop :(

check your temps when you have this issue. my laptop burns itself up on WF.  frames crash and burn.

if it's over ~85 you need better air flow.

that's a great machine, no reason it should lag.

WF does have a bit of a memory leak, but it shouldn't be within 2 missions. more like 30 or 40

Do you play as Hydroid or Vauban when you have these framerate drops? Both abilities cause ragdoll states which the game's engine does not seem to like. If you played before some of the more recent updates, you know when enemies would be stretched across the map? That still happens with Hydroid and Vaubans' fourth abilities. Sometimes when the enemies get stretched, the game seems to lose track of them and the RAM doesn't seem to be cleared out - at least that is the closest I can figure - the more this happens in decent length endless missions and even high grade hardware will start to slow to a crawl. Mid grade stuff like mine on low settings starts going below 20 frames at around 15 minutes of reliable use of Vauban or Hydroid's abilities. Might be worth looking at your log files after the slow down occurs for you and look for the game losing track of enemies or getting unbounded statements.

Have you tried to defrag your Hard drive?

Not just the Warframe built in defrag, but an entire system defrag. Laptop HDD's usually come in the 5400RPM variety and are quite slow. If Warframe is using a disk cache it may cause engine stall if it takes too long to retrieve the data.

Also, how is the Page file? Some people turn it off which is why i ask.

You can try running the Warframe built in 'verify download' option. If a file got corrupted it could cause issues. 

you check your temps? 90C is bad :(

Just checked, hovers around 70C for both CPU and GPU, so it's good. 

Have you tried to defrag your Hard drive?

Not just the Warframe built in defrag, but an entire system defrag. Laptop HDD's usually come in the 5400RPM variety and are quite slow. If Warframe is using a disk cache it may cause engine stall if it takes too long to retrieve the data.

Also, how is the Page file? Some people turn it off which is why i ask.

You can try running the Warframe built in 'verify download' option. If a file got corrupted it could cause issues. 

Yeah, I defrag regularly with OO Defrag, and my HDD is 7200RPM.

As for virtual memory, it was not disabled, but was set for auto manage. Now I put in the usual 1.5x of RAM. So that's that. I'll report back how it goes later on.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: seems it got fixed somehow. No idea what was the cause. Maybe a program that ran in the background that I uninstalled, unaware of the conflict, or that now I run it in fullscreen. But for now, absolute max detail and still a stable 120FPS.