Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Got Asked This Question The Other Day... (Off Topic)

Renegade343

While I was playing by myself (not with myself, that would be weird, although I did notice some students in Hong Kong tend to say solo play as "playing with myself", but I am going off tangent here), I suddenly got a question from another player (not going to state his/her in-game name for privacy): 

I seen your mathematics threads, and I like them. But why don't you use your math skills to do DPS and efficiency calculations for the game, so that we would be able to use it?

And he/she did ask a critical question, and I stopped my current game session to think about it for a long while. And the answer, which I then replied back to him/her, is as thus: 

Because I do not want to use my math skills for mediocrity. Everybody can do DPS and efficiency calculations with some math and a calculator, but that is what makes it grey. I write my mathematics threads to show players that with a bit more thinking and practice, mathematics can be applied in more colourful, interesting, and engaging ways. 

Not to say that players doing DPS and efficiency calculations is bad and all, but just saying that they are rather boring at the end of the day. 

Could've just applied the age-old justification of: "Because it makes me happy."

But I'm glad you dedicate your analysis threads to presenting math, which is commonly perceived by younger individuals as a boring and somewhat-useless thing, under a different light. Lord knows people like me could've used it back in high school.

Edited by Nitresco

Could've just applied the age-old justification of: "Because it makes me happy."

But I'm glad you dedicate your analysis threads to presenting math, which is commonly perceived by younger individuals as a boring and somewhat-useless thing, under a different light. Lord knows people like me could've used it back in high school.

While it's true OP could have used such a simple line, it leaves out the reason why it makes them happy nor does it provide the asker with a better understanding of OP as well as how simple DPS and efficiency calculations are.

Who knows, maybe now that person is analizing what makes them happy and trying to figure out why it makes them so.