Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parry-Counterattack, Should It Be In The Game?

Reaver_X

i was thinking that it would be great if the developers made the block mechanic a stronger part of the melee combat. For excample, if u were  block a melee attack from an enemy and then press E at the right time, u'd do a high damage counterattack that would use up most of ur stamina but would not only just hit the 1 enemy, but perhaps 1 or 2 other ones that are next to that enemy, further more u'd be invincible during the animation.

what do u guys think?

of course the timing should be fairly strict tho.

but it would be pretty useless since you can just charge attack melee enemies, maybe just make a special melee move when you press melee while blocking that took most of your stamina but deals instant charge damage that leave you vulnerable for a while

but it would be pretty useless since you can just charge attack melee enemies, maybe just make a special melee move when you press melee while blocking that took most of your stamina but deals instant charge damage that leave you vulnerable for a while

not really, because not only would it nullify any damage done do u during animation, but it would happen fast as S#&$ too unlike the charge attack which u actually have to charge.

charge attacks are offensive maneuvers, this would be a defensive one and could be used to get you out of a sticky situation.

if not a high damage fast counter attack, it should at the very least give a huge amount of pushback to get enemies off of you.

not really, because not only would it nullify any damage done do u during animation, but it would happen fast as S#&$ too unlike the charge attack which u actually have to charge.

charge attacks are offensive maneuvers, this would be a defensive one and could be used to get you out of a sticky situation.

if not a high damage fast counter attack, it should at the very least give a huge amount of pushback to get enemies off of you.

I actually LIKE this idea. Some of the more hopeless situations I've been in against infested and Shockwave MOAs would make this ridiculously useful. I think the recoil from the parry should stun all enemies caught by it, but only one gets counterattacked. Two if you have something like the Fang, maybe?

i was thinking that it would be great if the developers made the block mechanic a stronger part of the melee combat. For excample, if u were  block a melee attack from an enemy and then press E at the right time, u'd do a high damage counterattack that would use up most of ur stamina but would not only just hit the 1 enemy, but perhaps 1 or 2 other ones that are next to that enemy, further more u'd be invincible during the animation.

what do u guys think?

of course the timing should be fairly strict tho.

Honestly, it'd be better if blocking would allow you to resist knock downs from Ancients, drains from Disruptors, as well as brace against Shockwave Moa, Railgun Moa, and Rollers.  From there, instead of a counter, it would just be a defensive frontal sweep with the weapon, stumbling or knocking down (depending on the weapon) enemies by holding block and pressing E.  So you could brace for an incoming Roller/Disruptor Ancient/Shockwave Moa who's about to stomp, then swing back to stumble them and begin to pain.

I actually LIKE this idea. Some of the more hopeless situations I've been in against infested and Shockwave MOAs would make this ridiculously useful. I think the recoil from the parry should stun all enemies caught by it, but only one gets counterattacked. Two if you have something like the Fang, maybe?

yeah even that could work, but there could be problems with targeting issues and what not, im not sure if it could work to just give 1 enemy damage and knockback the rest. If they can find a way to make it work that'd be great. but i think the fairest thing would proabably be just massive knock back or knock down AoE. But if they can find away to make it deal high damage without it being game breaking im all for it!

IMO, this is only sorta useful for ancients and shield lancers.

Grunt tier enemies--no need, just charge attack for the one hit kill, they can't melee if they're dead

Grineer heavies--only if you could counter their shockwave, if not, no one goes near enough for them to actually whack you because of the shockwave.

Chargers, Runners, Leapers--one hit kill; why even give them the opportunity to hurt you if they die in one hit?  Also, if the animation isn't fast, have fun being surrounded after killing one single enemy.

Ancients--the only enemy type in the game to have a dangerous melee AND a visible wind-up.  The disrupter's on hit affect also makes the counterattack useful.

Shield lancers--vaguely useful, maybe.  Counter would be on par with jump attack or flying kick or even just a well timed charge attack.

Grunt tier enemies--no need, just charge attack for the one hit kill, they can't melee if they're dead

Grineer heavies--only if you could counter their shockwave, if not, no one goes near enough for them to actually whack you because of the shockwave.

Chargers, Runners, Leapers--one hit kill; why even give them the opportunity to hurt you if they die in one hit?  Also, if the animation isn't fast, have fun being surrounded after killing one single enemy.

Ancients--the only enemy type in the game to have a dangerous melee AND a visible wind-up.  The disrupter's on hit affect also makes the counterattack useful.

Shield lancers--vaguely useful, maybe.  Counter would be on par with jump attack or flying kick or even just a well timed charge attack.

no, the counterattack would happen lightning fast and like i said it should give massive pushback or stun to give u room to breath, in otherwords, if theres a mob around u, it effects EVERYONE!! not only that but u would recover from it fast and u are invincible During the animation.

like i said tho, im not sure which is the better way to go, massive pushback/knockdown to every and any enemy surrounding or, or lighning quick high damage attack to only 1 enemy at a time, but recovers fast and can be done back to back provided u have the stamina for it.

not only would performing the parry negate any damage u would have recieved but u'd be immune during the animation as well.

Edited by Reaver_X

With Nydus' idea, it'd be fine on Infested swarms. If it were a wide, LOW sweep you could even clear roller-derbies out for some breathing room.

I personally get stunlocked by normal infested every couple of days -- mostly due to poor spawns, you'll see 7 ancients in a tiny room and flip out, only THEN noticing the creeping doom coming up from behind you THE ROOM YOU JUST MADE SURE IT WAS CLEARED OUT and then the ancients notice you and then you're pinned in a tiny hallway between ancients and like 30 leapers and chargers.

Inevitably I will fumble my melee, take an ancient tentacle to the kidneys and then lay doubled up while leapers and ancients keep me stunlocked till death/Shade's ghost kicks in. The latter case is where this really shines though -- I have, on occasion, had to quit a mission because I was caught in a place too tight to jump out of, surrounded by such an enormous teeming horde that I could not POSSIBLY kill enough of them to get out. With parry/counter, I could spam that until clear of the ceiling obstruction, JUMP SLAM and run for better positioning.

With Nydus' idea, it'd be fine on Infested swarms. If it were a wide, LOW sweep you could even clear roller-derbies out for some breathing room.

I personally get stunlocked by normal infested every couple of days -- mostly due to poor spawns, you'll see 7 ancients in a tiny room and flip out, only THEN noticing the creeping doom coming up from behind you THE ROOM YOU JUST MADE SURE IT WAS CLEARED OUT and then the ancients notice you and then you're pinned in a tiny hallway between ancients and like 30 leapers and chargers.

Inevitably I will fumble my melee, take an ancient tentacle to the kidneys and then lay doubled up while leapers and ancients keep me stunlocked till death/Shade's ghost kicks in. The latter case is where this really shines though -- I have, on occasion, had to quit a mission because I was caught in a place too tight to jump out of, surrounded by such an enormous teeming horde that I could not POSSIBLY kill enough of them to get out. With parry/counter, I could spam that until clear of the ceiling obstruction, JUMP SLAM and run for better positioning.

Yes that could be very useful in that case if they would make it that massive stun/knockback version. Honestly the way i envision the animtion going would be, you block the melee, tap E, your Tenno rapidly does a 360 with their blade(s) and it would stun/knock back everyone in the vicinity, possibly do damage too. Essentially making it a sort of AoE, And yes it should be able to work on MoA's ground stomps IF you are close enough to them.

A bit faster I think for warframe and make it usable on rollers for skana's sake.

or maybe something like this 

This feature could add a bit more fun for melee by mixing up "mashing/holding e" with parries, counterattacks and block. I'd be really niche if it only worked for melee attacks, though, or they could add/spawn more melee enemies which would  add more variety to the enemies.

Edited by Cestus

Honestly, it'd be better if blocking would allow you to resist knock downs from Ancients, drains from Disruptors, as well as brace against Shockwave Moa, Railgun Moa, and Rollers.  From there, instead of a counter, it would just be a defensive frontal sweep with the weapon, stumbling or knocking down (depending on the weapon) enemies by holding block and pressing E.  So you could brace for an incoming Roller/Disruptor Ancient/Shockwave Moa who's about to stomp, then swing back to stumble them and begin to pain.

This. Yes.

Otherwise, blocking is essentially pointless in the game so far as i can tell...