Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Am Looking For A New Rodent With A Tail

DCypherThis13

Question

I mean, a new mouse, err, pointing device. You know what? Don't worry about the title.

I have been using the same $10 Logitech USB Optical mouse for around five years and it's starting to give me problems. The cursor will randomly jump to any of the corners of my screen. If I'm playing a game(Warframe, Far Cry2/3, etc.), it's Spin-To-Lose when it happens. A simple flick is all it takes to get control back, but it's enough to get me killed and it's been getting worse over the past week or so. I am looking for something simple(PnP), tough(minimum 2 year operating life) and wired. I have looked at dozens of uber-macroenabled-2.6bajillionDPI-wireless mice, but they all have 2 things in common. They're wireless and expensive. I don't want to have to recharge my mouse every day or have to change the batteries and my budget is under $35. I don't want something with a thousand buttons. Let's face it, I've been doing just fine with 3 buttons and a scroll wheel.

TL/DR:

I am looking for some advice in regard to the purchase of a new mouse.

11 answers to this question

I've been using my  $30 wireless Logitech for three years, and have only had to replace the batteries once. Really, who messes with wires anymore?

It's fast, durable, and has never given me any problems. I believe there is also a wired version, for folks who prefer to live in the past.

I've been using my  $30 wireless Logitech for three years, and have only had to replace the batteries once. Really, who messes with wires anymore?

It's fast, durable, and has never given me any problems. I believe there is also a wired version, for folks who prefer to live in the past.

I have to ask this question. What is the point of going wireless? It's not like I can put my PC in my back pocket.

Laptop: Razer Orochi. Reason: Bluetooth for on the go, cabled for gaming. Small for putting in your bag.

Desktop: any gaming mouse, wired preferred due to latency in wireless connections plus no need to swap batteries in the middle of the fight. I have an old Razer naga epic I use, but the battery is shot. So I leave it plugged in. Adjustable DPI is a plus.

I have to ask this question. What is the point of going wireless? It's not like I can put my PC in my back pocket.

Wires are ugly and get in your way, I had alot of problems constantly shoving them out of the way or dealing with limited mobility.

wired preferred due to latency in wireless connections plus no need to swap batteries in the middle of the fight.

Most mice will indicate that the battery is low a week in advance, so there's no reason for it to die in the middle of a game. Even so, they will stay charged for over a year. If your wireless mouse has latency, It's because you didn't spend more than $5.

I've always liked the logitech series mice. Stretch you budget a bit and treat yourself. Your previous Logitech mouse obviously lasted you long enough. Should something go wrong, Logitech has an unbeatable warranty service.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Hyperion-Gaming-Fusion-910-004069/dp/B00LZVNWIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427335313&sr=8-1&keywords=g402

i personally use a g600. Yes, its one of those expensive 20 button mice. But being able to aim and control all 4 abilities, melee, roll, reload and toggle nvidia shadowplay all with just the thumb is priceless.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G600-Gaming-Mouse-White/dp/B0086UK7I6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427335512&sr=8-2&keywords=g600

Edited by Pythadragon

Wires are ugly and get in your way, I had alot of problems constantly shoving them out of the way or dealing with limited mobility.

Most mice will indicate that the battery is low a week in advance, so there's no reason for it to die in the middle of a game. Even so, they will stay charged for over a year. If your wireless mouse has latency, It's because you didn't spend more than $5.

<shrug> pretty sure my anywhere MX cost more than $5. I felt the input latency while playing Global Agenda. Furthermore, while playing Mass Effect 2 and scanning planets, I really felt it there. Switched to a wired mouse and poof, input lag was gone. You may not feel it due to being used to it, but it exists. It takes wall-time to encode digital data onto a carrier wave and then decode it on the other end.

Additionally, not all wireless connections are equal. Bluetooth seems to exhibit more latency than a micro receiver (such as logitechs) all the way up to really high end gaming devices (such as razer's naga epic) where the latency is significantly reduced. If I had to WAG it (wild *** guess), the higher end mice utilize a better modem(modulator/demodulator - how you encode digital data onto an analog signal) and or frequency for wireless communication.

Overkill on the theory: probably. TLDR: I used a quality, non-gaming wireless mouse and still felt the input lag, but it was not as bad as when I was using a Bluetooth mouse.

Laptop: Razer Orochi. Reason: Bluetooth for on the go, cabled for gaming. Small for putting in your bag.

Desktop: any gaming mouse, wired preferred due to latency in wireless connections plus no need to swap batteries in the middle of the fight. I have an old Razer naga epic I use, but the battery is shot. So I leave it plugged in. Adjustable DPI is a plus.

Honestly, unless you're playing hardcore RPG or MOBAs you dont need a gaming mouse. I do fine in all the games I have with a $20 wired Lenovo mouse that I've had for 5 years.

Wired is a must for me, I despise wireless mice.

I've always liked the logitech series mice. Stretch you budget a bit and treat yourself. Your previous Logitech mouse obviously lasted you long enough. Should something go wrong, Logitech has an unbeatable warranty service.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Hyperion-Gaming-Fusion-910-004069/dp/B00LZVNWIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427335313&sr=8-1&keywords=g402

i personally use a g600. Yes, its one of those expensive 20 button mice. But being able to aim and control all 4 abilities, melee, roll, reload and toggle nvidia shadowplay all with just the thumb is priceless.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G600-Gaming-Mouse-White/dp/B0086UK7I6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427335512&sr=8-2&keywords=g600

You might be on to something. The G402 is almost exactly what I'm looking for. It's not overly complex, but it has a few creature comforts and you can't go wrong with Logitech. I have read conflicting information about one thing, though. Why does it require 2 AA batteries if it's a wired device and will it run without them?