Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tips On Drawing Needed.

Lactamid

Hello everyone :)

Seeing alot of people having fantastic art along with their concepts for frames, weapons or what not I found myself trying to draw.

I'm however not very used to drawing so I don't have a good system for it. I understand that having an understanding of basic anatomy and creating simplified "skeletons" could help alot an so I've tried that a bit. Mostly by painting over pictures to find the bones and going on to build "my own" character using that pose, both for proportions and a bit of style.

But what if I'd like to create my own character from scratch? After I draw stick figure mk.2 I don't really know what to do?

As warframe has a rather extensive biological yet mechanical look it's hard to get into right "style".

How do I go about making as simple concepts as possible, yet with a sense of "not thrown together crap"? XD

PS: only got my trusty mouse to work with.

Program tips are welcome too! (preferably free)

Edited by Lactamid

ANATOMY master poses first then start caring about details, like eyes n noses. Then move on to shading and texturing.

Any tip on ratios? like how a leg is shorter or longer with different perspectives? And how things correlate to eachother?

Mostly by painting over pictures to find the bones and going on to build "my own" character using that pose, both for proportions and a bit of style.

Uh oh. Tracing or paint-over are big no if you're going to practice drawing. I suggest learning basic anatomy first.

Drawing and painting with just computer mouse can be harmful to your wrist in a long run. You can start with simple pencil+paper first if you can't afford a tablet.

There are many resources and tutorials on the Internet. Here are some to get started:

Proko - mostly about the fundamentals and human anatomy

Scott Robertson - Industrial designs and concept arts in general

FZD School of Design - Make videos that cover board ranges of topics. Especially the thinking part of designing.

PoseManiacs - The name pretty much explain itself.

And don't forget to train everyday! Everyone has to start at some point. :-)

Edited by tradingstation

Uh oh. Tracing or paint-over are big no if you're going to practice drawing. I suggest learning basic anatomy first.

Drawing and painting with just computer mouse can be harmful to your wrist in a long run. You can start with simple pencil+paper first if you can't afford a tablet.

There are many resources and tutorials on the Internet. Here are some YouTube channels to get started:

Proko - mostly about the fundamentals and human anatomy

Scott Robertson - Industrial designs and concept arts in general

FZD School of Design - Make videos that cover board ranges of topics. Especially the thinking part of designing.

And don't forget to train everyday! Everyone has to start at some point. :-)

Hmm, thought that was actually a good thing. But ok XD. I guess I'll keep checking out anatomy.

Yeah, just easier to go on the computer and have layers. Drawing on paper is unforgiving sometimes, even though lines are easier to make with a pencil.

I'll check those out thx.

Haha, must I learn that song too? XD

Never heard/seen that program before actually.

*dgr*

makehuman is opensource and free to use. useful for making a model to watch from all sides before drawing...

disclaimer: i couldn't draw to save my life... so i haven't actually tried it.

Edited by hoeskioeh

Oh. I'd like to add: if you draw up something and you're looking for critiques / not sure if you drawn something incorrectly, you can try communities like Level Up (Facebook group) , Permanoobs for suggestion. Or even more professional forum like ConceptArt.org if you really wanted to get down and dirty.

I'm not a good artist myself. But hope these helps.

Oh. I'd like to add: if you draw up something and you're looking for critiques / not sure if you drawn something incorrectly, you can try communities like Level Up (Facebook group) , Permanoobs for suggestion. Or even more professional forum like ConceptArt.org if you really wanted to get down and dirty.

I'm not a good artist myself. But hope these helps.

I'll try the basics "at home" first, but I guess it's still pretty helpful though.