Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion For Platinum (Must Read)

SkipToDeath

Besides, I can't see how you can call anyone who plays warframe (has PC that can play modern games, power to run it, and fast internet to boot) someone with 'virtually no money' with a straight face.

My PC cost me $400 and is 4-5 years old. It plays warframe at max settings at nearly 60FPS.

You don't need some top of the line computer to play warframe.

What's more, there are lots of people out there who have computers from friends, work, shcool or family and use them without needing to be rich.

As for power and fast internet, Unless you're playing in ethiopia or australia, these both come standard with any form of accomodation.

Whether that be parent's basement, frat house with 6 friends or YMCA floor.

It's not just possible to play warframe and be poor, it's quite common.

My PC cost me $400 and is 4-5 years old. It plays warframe at max settings at nearly 60FPS.

You don't need some top of the line computer to play warframe.

Are you playing 32 bit and no DX11?  Because that just seems a bit ridiculous.  Especially if you ever do any hosting.  I'm running a 560Ti, an i7 cpu oced to 3.3ghz, 6gb of ddr3 ram, and I chug if i'm hosting a mob def mission with three other players.

I think we may be running under different definitions of poor. I mean, you sound like you can afford $5 now and then for entertainment purposes. You just said yourself you spent a whopping $400 on a PC! I was looking for an example with someone that can play warframe but has "S#&$ tonnes of time, but virtually no money".

Actually, I have one! Homeless bums with stolen laptops, that access the net by sneaking around residential neighborhoods and getting in unsecured wifi networks.

Although why we're suggesting making changes that will in all likelihood reduce revenue for DE so that said bums can get skins for their sentinels and colour pallets is a bit beyond me.

Are you playing 32 bit and no DX11?  Because that just seems a bit ridiculous.  Especially if you ever do any hosting.  I'm running a 560Ti, an i7 cpu oced to 3.3ghz, 6gb of ddr3 ram, and I chug if i'm hosting a mob def mission with three other players.

Or perhaps I just don't host?

Believe it or not, if every group of players has 4 people and one host, 3 of them aren't hosting

and thus, don't need a fully fledged server farm instead of a PC.

Or perhaps I just don't host?

Believe it or not, if every group of players has 4 people and one host, 3 of them aren't hosting

and thus, don't need a fully fledged server farm instead of a PC.

I'm also partly curious because I have a couple friends who play the game on fairly fresh computers but have difficulty getting good performance out of the game, even on fairly low settings.  Mind sharing your rig?  

Edited by therundown

I'm also partly curious because I have a couple friends who play the game on fairly fresh computers but have difficulty getting good performance out of the game, even on fairly low settings.  Mind sharing your rig?  

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 3800+

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

5GB of ram.

I actually don't know what else you need, I'm not particuarly computer savvy, but it runs warframe like a dream

There are plenty of people in situations that result in them being unable to pay for Platinum, either because of a lack of money or simply a lack of ability. However, those people are not what the platinum debate should be about, as Warframe cannot be marketed toward players unable to pay for Platinum. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that changes that make things easier on such players would not be profitable for Warframe (because of the other groups of people such changes would affect). It depends on the playerbase and the market.

On that note, I was actually under the impression Warframe ran fairly well even on older computers. I did a quick search for the minimum system requirements. Those are pretty low system requirements.

like when you use an ult to wipe out 30-40 infected and half of them explode.

Actually, this may be wherein the mystery lies.

I have never had this occurence.

I often hear people talking about 30-50 enemies on screen at once.

But I've never had more than 20 or so, and even that is a scarily massive hoard to have at once.

Even on pluto, corpus numbers don't reach the scary levels some people talk about on the forums.

Perhaps you get more with 4 players? I usually play with 1-3.

Naw, even solo when you trigger many rooms full of infested and nuke em all at once. My apologies but I deleted the post you quoted, I noticed you wrote "nearly" in the post I was replying to, I had misread it as "over" or "constant" or somesuch. Rather than rephrase I just deleted it since it was wrong, it's 3am, too tired to rephrase :-)

Edited by Armanant

Naw, even solo when you trigger 2-3 rooms full of infested and nuke em all at once. My apologies but I deleted the post you quoted, I noticed you wrote "nearly" in the post I was replying to, I had misread it as "over" or "constant" or somesuch. Rather than rephrase I just deleted it since it was wrong, it's 3am, too tired to rephrase :-)

Possibly read "neatly"?

but Yes, we've gone far off topic;

Point is, for the poor players out there, some way of attaining otherwise unatainable items (Sentinel cosmetics, colour schemes) even through expensive and time consuming ways would be better than nothing

Well, to go back on topic - I don't see a good example of a "poor player", unless we're going with my example of the thriving "laptop stealing and wifi hopping bum" sector. Truly a growth opportunity.

(And if you're posting on an internet forum, you're not poor (sans the above mentioned bums)).

You could easily dip into a bad financial state after acquiring a laptop, especially if you've had that laptop for a few years. Nor do you even really need to own one to game - People might game on school computers, for example, using the school's network and electricity. Or they might just be teens whose parents are very strict about how they spend their allowance, and don't allow spending it on digital goods, as mine were back when I was a child.

I think you're missing the other part of the qualifier too, which was "S#&$ tonnes of time".

- If you ran into such hard times that you can't afford $5 or you'll starve / be homeless, you should be selling your laptop and buying food, not holding out for kewl colours or sentinel headpieces.

- If you're at school... what on earth are you doing spending "S#&$ tonnes of time" playing games on school computers instead of learning!

- if your a teen who's parent bought you a $500 dollar rig and don't care if you spend "S#&$ tonnes of time" playing games, but then don't let you spend $5 of your allowance on virtual goods.. maybe spend a bit less of that time playing games, flip some burgers and then have your own money?

Edited by Armanant

I think it's also worth considering the difference between;

"I can afford to live, with enough money to keep power, heating and internet on and have some time for cheap recreation."

and

"I can afford to pay $20 to get some exclusive items every now and then on an otherwise free game"

The latter suggests disposable income, which many people don't have.

most would say power, internet and a computer are pretty much essential these days, adding warframe in doesn't actually cost any extra, whereas $20 does.

whoa whoa whoa $20? I was just aiming for $5, we're only talking about slots here, not buying a bunch of warframes or anything. and again, it's not "some time" it's, "S#&$ tonnes of time".

But "Some time" multiplied by several weeks = S#&$ tonnes of time.

What's more, there are things other than mod slots that players without spare cash may not want to fork out money for.

Colours, sentinel skins, and no doubt more things in the future.

I think you're missing the other part of the qualifier too, which was "S#&$ tonnes of time".

- If you ran into such hard times that you can't afford $5 or you'll starve / be homeless, you should be selling your laptop and buying food, not holding out for kewl colours or sentinel headpieces.

- If you're at school... what on earth are you doing spending "S#&$ tonnes of time" playing games on school computers instead of learning!

- if your a teen who's parent bought you a $500 dollar rig and don't care if you spend "S#&$ tonnes of time" playing games, but then don't let you spend $5 of your allowance on virtual goods.. maybe spend a bit less of that time playing games, flip some burgers and then have your own money?

Nah, as a teen I had tons of time but wasn't allowed to spend any money except on food, earned or not. You really do need to account for all situations. Also, a student could spend a lot of time playing games because they're fairly intelligent and don't need to study much to keep up with their work. I can't really speak for the first one, though I'm relatively certain it does happen. *shrugs*

As I already said, though, I don't think that people unable to make such purchases are people that DE should be trying to gear their game towards at all. I have plenty of sympathy for them, though, and I hope there will be a solution that will make the game more easily accessible for these people while still earning DE their profits.

Giving people a way to earn platinum for free might help with profits for reasons outlined in this post, but as I stated in that post, I don't think this is a viable solution for Warframe just yet.

Thanks for the EC vid, those guys are great. I can go to bed now (and it's nearing 4am, so I really should XD), so I'll think about it for now.

One thing I can mention now is they weren't right about expensive priced micro-transactions : a game called Path of Exile has some quite expensive ones which are basically just used as a "show of support" for the game. (https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/category/pets# , $1 ~ 10 currency, so a >$100 pet in there, and no outrage as far as I know. My thought is people see it and tend to think "wow dude thanks for supporting this game so that we all get to play").

This of course doesn't mean they're wrong about the first bit (make $ currency earnable ingame), just that they're not necessarily right.

Edits:spelling

Edited by Armanant

Thanks for the EC vid, those guys are great. I can go to bed now (and it's nearing 4am, so I really should XD), so I'll think about it for now.

One thing I can mention now is they weren't right about expensive priced micro-transactions : a game called Path of Exile has some quite expensive ones which are basically just used as a "show of support" for the game. (https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/category/pets# , $1 ~ 10 currency, so a >$100 pet in there, and no outrage as far as I know. My thought is people see it and tend to think "wow dude thanks for supporting this game so that we all get to play").

This of course doesn't mean they're wrong about the first bit (make $ currency earnable ingame), just that they're not necessarily right.

Edits:spelling

Yeah, it does at least partly depend on how the game presents it. Psychological thing. I think a pet is pretty different from a Warframe, though. Then again, I don't know the function of pets in PoE. Cosmetic? If so, then in that case pets are basically a show of support (much like Founder badges), and I don't think the micro-transaction thing is necessarily referring to it.

But yeah, I have no idea, cause I don't know much about the game.

Also, EC is awesome.

Edited by Quetzhal

There are some companies that hide all the powerful items behind micro transactions and charge an extortionate amount for their premium currency, DE is not one of them. All the items that you can buy that effect stats and power can be found through alerts, everything else is a convenience item, yes that includes slots because if you spend your free 50 wisely you can get 2 frame slots or one slot and a couple of weapon spots. You can also delete frames you don't use, you can make them all with enough time so getting them back isn't a huge issue, buying more slots is only convenience.

Bear in mind how much we get for free, especially the regular updates, new items and additional frames, premium currency should not be one of them no matter your financial situation.

That's not necessarily true, since platinum has no intrinsic value, and only gains subjective value when you actually purchase it. Just something to keep in mind.

It DOES have value: It is called Opportunity Cost.

They sell Platnium for Real Money.

By giving you Platnium when you create your account, that's 50 less platnium that you will end up buying. Let's say you use that 50 platinum for a warframe slot and two potatoes.

If they didn't give you the Platnium, you'd have to buy the 50 platnium to get the same potatoes and warframe slot.

They lost out on a potential sale of real money by giving you 50 platinum to start with.

They do this in hopes that you'll see that Platinum is awesome and they hope after getting a taste of what Platnium can get you, you'll want to buy some (which makes them money).

Edited by Xylia

It has been more than a week since I played WarFrame. And I found it very entertaining and exciting. However, as I play through Planets (leveling, strengthening and farming), I have thought to myself about how to gain more platinum. I don't want to spend platinum on Weaponry nor buying WarFrames. But, I found them very important on buying more slots on WarFrames and weapons as well. I also wanted to spend platinum on WarFrames's skin color but i just can't for I only got 50 platinum as default.

So, I'd suggest that the WarFrame team will GIVE 10 PLATINUM AS REWARD EVERY 7-DAY STRAIGHT LOG-IN.

Please do take time to read this and to think about this. This will make us log-in every day to be able to claim 10 platinum every week.

Please correct me if I have overdone my suggestion, thank you!

Aha. So giving away the real currency for nothing? I dont know if I should laugh or cry...

You will most likely get slots for progression. I dont know why DE should give away even more for free. Especially not the real currency for acutally nothing.

It has been more than a week since I played WarFrame. And I found it very entertaining and exciting. However, as I play through Planets (leveling, strengthening and farming), I have thought to myself about how to gain more platinum. I don't want to spend platinum on Weaponry nor buying WarFrames. But, I found them very important on buying more slots on WarFrames and weapons as well. I also wanted to spend platinum on WarFrames's skin color but i just can't for I only got 50 platinum as default.

So, I'd suggest that the WarFrame team will GIVE 10 PLATINUM AS REWARD EVERY 7-DAY STRAIGHT LOG-IN.

Please do take time to read this and to think about this. This will make us log-in every day to be able to claim 10 platinum every week.

Please correct me if I have overdone my suggestion, thank you!

numbers do add up seeing there are alot of people to be adding free money to even if its 10 platinum, i can see character space or weapon space given a special price but other than that it would cripple the game development time. I would rather support them and let them update and bring quality content faster than slowing it down. I would rather support dev but thats just me. Suggestion is always welcome.

Edited by Girai