Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Help/request] 3D Directx/opengl Programming C++

Pacheon

Hello there everybody!

I am currently stuck at my programming progression. I am want to learn how to render a and in a 3D environment, but have currently no real reliable resources for doing so.

I have quite good knowledge about the regular C++ stuff. E.g. creating my own text adventure, dungeon crawlers, etc.

Simulating RNG based faction encounters, TicTacTo "interface" and playing against a player/AI, and so on, but am missing to actually putting that all into interactable objects/environments like modelling the surface, player chars, NPC chars, enemy chars, etc.

Anyone has a good source learning those?

Including creating base models (via 3Ds Max Design or Modo) isn't really that important for now, but animating those e.g. Larm Rarm, bip01, bip02, bip03, head, neck, etc. in different directions, moving arms for-/backwards while walking/running, moving the head (alike here in warframe) a bit into that direction where we are aiming at, etc.

I am aiming for a 3D 3rd-Person visualization (like WoW, Cube World, Trove, etc. - that kind of camera perspective, not like Warframe, Fallout, Skyrim - tho, those are barely different ... just a different camera offset).

Thanks in adv.!

If you already have a solid understanding of SDL (which you should if you can make 2D games) then just find some tutorials on OpenGL.

This tutorial is based on an old version of OpenGL, but it is much easier to learn than the more recent versions and you can move pretty easily to more recent versions once you have a solid grasp:

http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/OpenGL/

As for animation and stuff, that is pretty easy to pick up once you understand the core stuff. IK (such as dynamic head turning and foot placement) is basically just some complex math.

Edited by egregiousRac

You put ALOT of work here to do :p

Listen, before beginning you have to ask yourself a question: do I want to code everything from scratch?

If you answer "no", then you would take the easy route and learn an engine such as Unity or UE4. They already come fully featured with everything you said in your post pretty much.

If you are feeling particularly hardcore and answered "yes" then split your screen in half (your programming ide of choice on the left, google on the right) and have fun messing around with graphics driver, draw calls, coding by yourself the transformation matrices needed for perspective projection, skeletal rigging, shaders, physics engines.

!Spoiler alert!

Answer "no".

This guy helped me a magistral lot with grasping the basics of OpenGl and SimpleDirectMediaLayer

https://www.youtube.com/user/thecplusplusguy

Edited by dadaddadada

-snip-

OpenGL is nice for understanding how everything works, but most of functions you need to write by yourself (like bitmap reading). It would be easier for you if you pick ready engines like unreal or unity.

Ready made engines are no fun though. Additionally, to really be effective in a ready made engine you still need to understand how graphics pipelines work. There is a reason that most Unity games look bad and run poorly, but some are utterly gorgeous and smooth.

Actually yes, I want to create my own game engine - want to learn all these stuff.

I was able to use the "Kit" of Unity and U3/4 Engine, and was not really satisfied with it.

My aim is it to develope a great (depending on everyone's taste for sure ^^), flexible, self adjusting engine, which can be used not only by people who are running with double GPUs or strong GPUs (I hate that, in fact, most of the new games are already 680GTX MINIMUM REQ. performance stuff).

I have a bit of SDL knowledge, have had programmed my newbish zombie game (GTA 2 camera view, top-down), but wasn't satisfied with it (not about the result, more that I don't need that for any feature and future things).

Thanks for the links. Going to check it!

i dont really have the skill to program things on my own yet

one time i made a simple game in an exe file,thats about as far as it got..it consisted of shooting zombies

ive always wanted to create streamlined user interfaces though,most of the UI i end up dealing with are clunky and rube-goldberge-esque

streamlining the UI of things could help alot of people learn how to art and code basically

Actually yes, I want to create my own game engine - want to learn all these stuff.

I was able to use the "Kit" of Unity and U3/4 Engine, and was not really satisfied with it.

My aim is it to develope a great (depending on everyone's taste for sure ^^), flexible, self adjusting engine, which can be used not only by people who are running with double GPUs or strong GPUs (I hate that, in fact, most of the new games are already 680GTX MINIMUM REQ. performance stuff).

I have a bit of SDL knowledge, have had programmed my newbish zombie game (GTA 2 camera view, top-down), but wasn't satisfied with it (not about the result, more that I don't need that for any feature and future things).

Thanks for the links. Going to check it!

GTA2 was 3D world, 2D actors. That added so much to the feel of it.

You will need a huge amount of experience and skill to make a great engine. The reason that pre-made engines are so popular is that making a good engine is crazy hard, even if you have a good grasp of the languages.

Have fun though!

GTA2 was 3D world, 2D actors. That added so much to the feel of it.

You will need a huge amount of experience and skill to make a great engine. The reason that pre-made engines are so popular is that making a good engine is crazy hard, even if you have a good grasp of the languages.

Have fun though!

Nah, I meant the camera offset :P

Not the actual graphics and its content.

Thanks!

camera offset should merely be a variable on one or more axis

its basic algebra applied to a 3 dimensional space

generally with 0.0.0 being the center of the particular space your working with

you could say X/Y/Z= 0.0.0 with X axis being left to right movement,Y Axis being up and down movement,and Z axis being fowards and backwards movement

sometimes you may wish to add an aditional axis beyond that to enable a finer degree of control,for example

X/Y/Z/C=0.0.0.0 ,which is just like before except for the additional C axis which can be used to enable a sort of unified diagonal movement,which is very handy for Sudden diagonal movements,even for cameras (which conincidentaly happens alot in warframe).as it lowers the strain o nthe engine considerably when it can calculate purely along a C axis for sudden diagonal movement rather that making a painstaking point by point analysis for diagonal movement