The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Is This A Thing Anymore? (Random Fps Drops)

artemis9

DISCLAIMER: This is a bit of a complaint thread but I really just want to see if this is happening to other people.

So as of late whenever I play warframe I always get MASSIVE lag drops. Like, my game will just go from my usual 30 fps, all the way down too 0.77 FPS!?!?!?! WTF??? Now granted, I don't have the best computer, in fact its a 2013 Lenovo Thinkbook with Intel integrated graphics, which I realize kinda sucks, but with the settings all turned down to their lowest I used be able to get 20-30 fps, even on giant orokin defense missions where there's lots of stuff for my computer to render. But now, in random intervals, my fps will drop from 30 fps, to below 1 fps. So DE, if this is a thing for other players, and is not just because I have a crappy computer, Pleasssssssssssssssssse fix it, I love this game you made, but its rather hard to play when nothing on your screen moves.

btw just comment if this happens to you or something, I know this used to happen alot but havent seen any threads like these lately. 

I thought it was my GPU that was acting up. My 780 Ti used to average 55-60 FPS in T4D or Triton with 3 other dudes who happen to spam alot (also the spawns come in forms of battalions) but now... I've seen it dip to 5 fps or just stutter. But yeah, not very often, but it just happens at times. 

No the real issue here is the fact you're trying to game on a piece of shyte laptop with integrated graphics.

The Dev's need to stop supporting such weak hardware with limited drivers and start UPGRADING the archaic graphics in game.

This is not a 'complaint' thread, this is a crybaby whining thread about your hardware stature in the gaming world. Sure, you can't afford an actual gaming rig... but that's not our problem, nor is it the Dev's responsibility to limit the games potential and growth. Its a problem with your paycheck. Go resolve this issue with said paycheck.

Ok so first of all, this is not a crybaby thread, because I'm not crying nor am I a baby. Secondly if DE, or anybody else upgraded their game to a point where people had to buy a actual gaming rig to play it, their player base would disappear overnight. Lastly this is definitely not a problem with my paycheck, primarily because I happen to be a freshman in high school who casually plays this game and would rather not belt out his cash, unless it includes food or friends. 

P.S. Don't be such a d*ck.

No the real issue here is the fact you're trying to game on a piece of shyte laptop with integrated graphics.

The Dev's need to stop supporting such weak hardware with limited drivers and start UPGRADING the archaic graphics in game.

This is not a 'complaint' thread, this is a crybaby whining thread about your hardware stature in the gaming world. Sure, you can't afford an actual gaming rig... but that's not our problem, nor is it the Dev's responsibility to limit the games potential and growth. Its a problem with your paycheck. Go resolve this issue with said paycheck.

As a guy who owns a GPU that was labelled the king of GPUs of its time, you're one of those guys who I really wanna punch in the face. Why? You're one of those guys who sound like "its perfectly okay that Assassin's Creed: Unity is unoptimized so that budget pc gamer plebs can't play it at any setting" kind of thing.

Wanna play a game that has underwhelming graphics AND crap optimization? Play Dragon Nest. Takes a Titan X so you can actually idle in a fairly crowded area at 20fps and uses an engine that obviously looks less detailed than what UE2 (yes, 2, not 4) can bring out.

Why did I bring that up? I'm just saying that the devs ARE supposed to take into consideration that some of their players don't have uber powerful rigs (some dudes still use a 9800 GT to this day) but want to play the game. A game that can be played on not so stellar PCs = more players = more potential customers = more income = more funds to allocate to... whatever they wanna do with the money.

Edited by styxonfire

Here is a tip if you have some FPS and performance issues.

Click Verify or Defrag files on the Warframe Launcher (Not the Steam Launcher, you will need to re-install warframe if you do it this way)

You should get a smoother performance after you have done both.

Thanks bro! The problems not resolved but the lag spikes are more infrequent now, I went through 3 long oroking defence missions without a single one. But sadlly when they happen it seems to last longer. But still, thanks much!

Edited by OZONE99

As a guy who owns a GPU that was labelled the king of GPUs of its time, you're one of those guys who I really wanna punch in the face. Why? You're one of those guys who sound like "its perfectly okay that Assassin's Creed: Unity is unoptimized so that budget pc gamer plebs can't play it at any setting" kind of thing. Wanna play a game that has underwhelming graphics AND crap optimization? Play Dragon Nest. Takes a Titan X so you can actually idle in a fairly crowded area at 20fps and uses an engine that obviously looks less detailed than what UE2 (yes, 2, not 4) can bring out.

Bro..Lolz. I bet that half DE's player base cant afford a titan z. A $3000 GPU isn't exactly in everyone budget. If games were only made for extremely high-end setups, not a whole lot of people would play them. Which would account for the fact of me never hearing about Dragons Nest, despite my dad being in the computer modeling business. Also if Unity wasn't playable on lesser devises and only on ultimate pc builds, it would be playable on consoles, which are a third of the price of a single Titan Z(not to mention the rest of the rig.

Edit. Disregard this above.

Edited by OZONE99

Thanks bro! The problems not resolved but the lag spikes are more infrequent now. But sadlly when they happen it seems to last longer. But still, thanks!

I also forgot to mention to go through "Optimize" as well.

It's been a norm that i run through each time a new patch hits.

Bro..Lolz. I bet that half DE's player base cant afford a titan z. A $3000 GPU isn't exactly in everyone budget. If games were only made for extremely high-end setups, not a whole lot of people would play them. Which would account for the fact of me never hearing about Dragons Nest.

P.S. Also.. Punching people isn't nice.

Well... I said I want to, but never said I would.

Plus... Nvidia made another Titan called the Titan X (yeah... them and their naming scheme... from Z to X... go figure)

Edited by styxonfire

Well... I said I want to, but never said I would.

Plus... Nvidia made another Titan called the Titan X (yeah... them and their naming scheme... from Z to X... go figure)

Discard what I said previously, I took it out of context...... sooo yeahhhhh my bad homie. (It looks defferent on the phone.)

Edited by OZONE99

Can't make a thread like this and expect the stuck up snobs to stay objective...guess our community isn't perfect after all.

I also play on a laptop most (if not all) of the time, playing on Earth during the night cycle is a nightmare but I also get said massive fps drops even when I play on a computer which can handle the gamplay with everything cranked up. It's nothing mayor though, 2-3 seconds at best.

As a guy who owns a GPU that was labelled the king of GPUs of its time, you're one of those guys who I really wanna punch in the face. Why? You're one of those guys who sound like "its perfectly okay that Assassin's Creed: Unity is unoptimized so that budget pc gamer plebs can't play it at any setting" kind of thing.

Wanna play a game that has underwhelming graphics AND crap optimization? Play Dragon Nest. Takes a Titan X so you can actually idle in a fairly crowded area at 20fps and uses an engine that obviously looks less detailed than what UE2 (yes, 2, not 4) can bring out.

Why did I bring that up? I'm just saying that the devs ARE supposed to take into consideration that some of their players don't have uber powerful rigs (some dudes still use a 9800 GT to this day) but want to play the game. A game that can be played on not so stellar PCs = more players = more potential customers = more income = more funds to allocate to... whatever they wanna do with the money.

^agreed

As is, Warframe is more CPU dependant than anything given how unoptimized it is. If the CPU gets tied up doing AI, networking/hitreg, particles/physics, etc etc it wont be pushing data to the GPU, which means it's waiting and not doing a whole lot of anything.

Going from a HD5850 to GTX760 on a Q6600 (3.4GHz) I saw minor improvements. When I upgraded the Q6600 to the i5-3570K I saw nearly double the minimum fps (Back in U14 or so), About 2 month ago I upgraded to a GTX970 and I saw no improvement until I overclocked my CPU to 4.4GHz.

So backing up what I said, Warframe is CPU dependant. You would only need a HD68xx or GTX6xx onwards to run it flawlessly at 1080p. After that its all CPU. 

EDIT: To the OP though. An intel IGP won't be enough in the long run. Warframe is getting more complex, but nothing a cheap discreet GPU and a half-decent quadcore couldn't handle. Warframe ran like a pig on my laptop (i5 and a HD5750) and that is to be expected.

At the same time, given how little resources Warframe utilizes, there is a lot of room for optimization. So I would just sit tight and see what happens.

Edited by Snougar

i only experience this in very specific locations, which is unrelated to this AFAIK.

elsewise, i do not have this issue.

i would certainly also suggest sending a Support Ticket as requested.

hopefully Optimizing the Local Cache will help the issue. i'm not highly confident, as i don't recall other reports of similar issues being resolved that way. but it's always worth trying.

if this seems to happen in specific locations (or atleast Tilesets) and nowhere else though, then that'll be interesting and useful information for me to keep in mind for something else.

-snip-

you have successfully shown you are the opposite of an expert with computers.

OZONE99, have you tried unparking your CPU cores? That tends to help increase FPS in pretty much any game... If you have four cores or more and are running windows 7 or 8/8.1 it'll most likely help you out. Not sure about dual cores though, if you're running a dual core, doing this is still worth a try.

Found out about this from a guy named xFactorGaming: 

(says 'battlefield 4' in the title, but it really doesn't matter)

From my experience, I got around ~25 - 35 additional FPS in recent AAA titles.

Edited by double0gamer