Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Gaming Too Easy Nowadays Or Are These Gamers To Experienced Fo Them?

izzatuw

In the internet in seems that lots of people are claiming things like "games are too easy" and "old games were much harder". So my question is, do you think that gaming actually is too easy now or have you just gotten better in gaming now? This is usually seen in videos or topics about 80s/90s games bringing nostalgia claiming that these games were much harder although I've never experienced those games.

/Discuss

Its because much older games needed to grab your attention a lot more, so were designed and made to be much harder, so it would take much longer for you to play. I still find myself taking longer to complete say, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, than I do Twilight Princess, despite the world being larger, better designed and having more to do.

Why?

Because games are now generally online, and the tech has advanced so much, it's easy for companies to make smaller games that take less time to complete, then make a sequel the same, and so on, therefore, games gradually become easier. This is why games like Dark Souls reached huge popularity, as they went back to the old 'you do something wrong you get punished' and 'These enemies can one shot you no issue despite level', and so presented a challenge to players.

They usually were much harder. No save/checkpoints, very few lives, sometimes you even had to restart the entire game. But if you want hard, I suggest going full melee only no frame powers in Blackout Endurance.

Side Note: I did that. It wasn't hard.

On-Topic: Yeah. Older games did it better, to say the least. New games baby you pretty much.

I believe that gaming has not gotten harder or easier but rather the difficulty types have changed. In the past games generally had there difficulty based around timing based challenges due to limitations in hardware and because new concepts such as 3d worlds were just being conceptualised. Whereas nowadays modern games difficulty is based around strategy and puzzle solving. Of course with this change in difficulty focus, the timing based challenge is reduced to allow you time to make the strategy to beat the challenge.

I assume using Loki?

No, actually. Ember.

Couldn't use any powers due to the abilities costing so much. (Except for Fireball, but I can't hit a darn Manic with Fireball, so I never used it.)

Edited by SysWOW64

Think of gaming like cartoons, 

Back in the 90's they didnt have to say "Dont try this at home" on cartoons because we had sense.

But apparently nowadays you have to WARN kids not to go strap a rocket to their back to go catch some roadrunner.

The moral of the story.

Kids are stupid.

dd1155beffb44c68d2d85e7f74a4df60.jpg

Edited by Rosalyn

Think of gaming like cartoons, 

Back in the 90's they didnt have to say "Dont try this at home" on cartoons because we had sense.

But apparently nowadays you have to WARN kids not to go strap a rocket to their back to go catch some roadrunner.

The moral of the story.

Kids are stupid.

dd1155beffb44c68d2d85e7f74a4df60.jpg

thats a lie,i grew up in the 90's and in the midwest no less...people in some ways were even more ignorant and bigoted then

remember,being a bigot does not count as "sense"

Whenever I hear people say stuff like, "I miss the good old days when there was no saving and you had to restart the entire game if you died," I think to myself, "I miss the good old days when my dog would devour everything I owned and S#&$ on the floor."

Edited by MrPie5

Games are easier now, but I'm also a better gamer than I was 10+ years ago.

Go back and beat one of the hardest games of your childhood. I think you'll be surprised. I tried to complete alex the kid last year. As a kid I could do it in two lives start to finish. Now I can barely make the 4th stage.