Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion]Double-Tap Wasd For Evade.

mrfluffydeath

In addition to giving us the double-tap shift (by default) while holding a direction. I suggestion we also be able to evade by double tapping the appropriate movement key for the direction we wish to evade in.

Want to Evade to the right? Double tap "D." Want to evade away from your view? double tap "S." Want to do a sweet looking backwards hand spring? Hold the RIght-Mouse button to look down your sights, then Double-tap "S." Need to make sure the Infected stay down? Always Double Tap.

Respectfully submitted in Tenno-ness
-fluffydeath

I think it should be changed/combined with jump, similar to how jedi outcast/academy handled it. Double tap jump and a direction to evade/flip. It is confusing having to hit the sprint button to evade when it can easily be combined with jump. 

Agree, that would really make dodging fun since melee is not that fleshed out yet.

I still play jedi academy and was really thrown off with how dodging and jumping works in this game, especially when the devs say they are drawing heavy influence from those games.

Guild Wars 2 had a pretty nice dodge system, in regards to how players could use it.

Being able like the OP has suggested to double tap a direction to dodge, or set it as a hotkey.  When a hotkey, if pressed the direction you were currently moving(facing) was the direction you dodged.

You could toggle this on/off so for players who didn't want to accidently roll through tapping a key to nudge forward could turn the function off, and use the hotkey instead.

Edited by Enot83

Yeah but now you are introducing another hotkey when you could simplify the mechanic by combining it with jump. 

Only if you wanted to use the hotkey, it can work in either fashion, so those who wouldn't want a double tap function and prefer an additional key are able to do so, while those who want to have fewer hotkeys and have it be a simple double tap mechanic also have that option.

In addition to giving us the double-tap shift (by default) while holding a direction. I suggestion we also be able to evade by double tapping the appropriate movement key for the direction we wish to evade in.

Want to Evade to the right? Double tap "D." Want to evade away from your view? double tap "S." Want to do a sweet looking backwards hand spring? Hold the RIght-Mouse button to look down your sights, then Double-tap "S." Need to make sure the Infected stay down? Always Double Tap.

Respectfully submitted in Tenno-ness

-fluffydeath

Roll is not double tap of shift. The evade we have is perfect and makes sense. Your moving around and you see something you need to avoid. Tap shift once.

Guild Wars 2 had it like that, made me constantly fall off ledges when I dodged/evaded by mistake.

Same, I always disabled the double tap feature and opted for a hotkey to roll in your facing/moving direction.

I like the double tap in games like the Unreal Tournament series, which allowed you adjust the rate in the preferences menu so you don't accidentally dodge when you didn't mean to. Once you get used to it, its superior to having to hold down/tap a separate modifier key like shift.

Also being able to sprint without having to hold down shift is liberating! 

I like the double tap in games like the Unreal Tournament series, which allowed you adjust the rate in the preferences menu so you don't accidentally dodge when you didn't mean to. Once you get used to it, its superior to having to hold down/tap a separate modifier key like shift.

Also being able to sprint without having to hold down shift is liberating!

Indeed! Without the sensitivity slider, there is just too much risk of falling off ledges. That is also why I binded my dogde to a key in GW2, particularly for high precision movements such as in the jumping puzzles (e.g. the clocktower).

I don't know if you guys have a different key binding setup but if you double tap (shift) and a WASD direction you roll/dodge in that direction. It would make way more sense and be much more fluid if you could double tap spacebar. 

Try this yourself: Hold shift to sprint and then try to dodge left or right. - it is a mess of keys to try and pull this off.

Now hold shift to sprint then double tap spacebar while hitting a left or right movement key - right now you just do a non fluid jump in that direction, but wouldn't it make way more sense if you dodge/rolled instead?

Edited by Varelze

It would be best to combine shift and spacebar and have spacebar perform actions based on timing. So if you hold down spacebar you sprint, if you tap spacebar you jump, if you double tap spacebar you dodge/roll. That would free up shift for crouch and make the combos more fluid and easier to pull off. Having to hold shift, keep it held while also pressing crouch, then jump just to launch in the air is messy. 

I played guild wars 2 as well and yes it pissed me off in the jumping puzzles but never in actual fights. It was reliable for the most part.

I also had it in some 3rd person shooters and I found it quite convenient.

So I promote having the option! More customizability is always good.

As a sidenote: Don't mess with the jump key! It's already borderline broken. One more additional function on it and it wont work reliably at all.

It would be best to combine shift and spacebar and have spacebar perform actions based on timing. So if you hold down spacebar you sprint, if you tap spacebar you jump, if you double tap spacebar you dodge/roll. That would free up shift for crouch and make the combos more fluid and easier to pull off. Having to hold shift, keep it held while also pressing crouch, then jump just to launch in the air is messy. 

Too much to remember and functionality into one key. To be honest, people hardly use the dodge and combining the dodge with the same key as jump will probably just make it a mess. Heck, I even hardly see people utilizes the walls to get around faster such as jumping from one wall to reach another platform.

Also, a little tip for easier "Dragon Kicks";

Bind your sprint to mousebutton 4 (the button to the left side of your mouse, if right handed).

Bind shift to crouch and keep space to jump.

Edited by SymphNo9

That's actually the setup I started using. I still think they should combine sprint and jump into spacebar though. They added the ability to wall run and all these nice movement abilities, but they are barely used because of the complicated key mappings. If you play jedi outcast/ academy, it uses spacebar for both jumping, jumping and flipping, and wall running and it is extremely fluid.