Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Workshop Mods Now Have Paid Option

Morgax

The damage has been done.  Certain big-name modders have painted huge targets on their backs by doing distasteful stuff for the sake of greed, others have left the modding scene entirely.  In a single day, Steam and Bethesda split the Skyrim community in twain.  And for what?  Ten grand?  I'm not sure which was more disgusting: the system itself, or the people who supported it.  "Gamers have no standards," indeed.

While I'm glad that the system is gone for now, I can neither forgive nor forget Steam and Bethesda's transgression.  This isn't the last time we'll see trash like this, mark my words.  Any excitement I held for Fallout 4 and TES6 has gone up in smoke.

9f8.png

It's funny how Bethesda issued a statement defending the system and then Valve just killed it dead.

But really this kind of reaction doesn't really suit Valve, just up and removing something entirely isn't something they do. At least they didn't pretend like it never happened and acknowledged their F*** up. I mean, how honestly did they expect it to

encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities.

and 

result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid

when it was so open to abuse with paywalls being the only option to support the modders?

The damage has been done.  Certain big-name modders have painted huge targets on their backs by doing distasteful stuff for the sake of greed, others have left the modding scene entirely.  In a single day, Steam and Bethesda split the Skyrim community in twain.  And for what?  Ten grand?  I'm not sure which was more disgusting: the system itself, or the people who supported it.  "Gamers have no standards," indeed.

While I'm glad that the system is gone for now, I can neither forgive nor forget Steam and Bethesda's transgression.  This isn't the last time we'll see trash like this, mark my words.  Any excitement I held for Fallout 4 and TES6 has gone up in smoke.

Yeah.

I'm just hoping now that Epic Games take note and don't screw up their marketplace for the upcoming UT.

Like I said before, the idea to let modders (I'm talking about actual content creators) earn money for their work is neat and cool. There's really no reason to not let them to... unless you implement it in Valve's trademark "we don't know what we're doing" way.

Edited by Artarrwen

While I'm glad that the system is gone for now, I can neither forgive nor forget Steam and Bethesda's transgression.  

Either it´s Steam and Skyrim or Valve and Bethesda.

And if serious modders really left the modding scene just because of this they are stupid, if you don´t liked it or hated it just release your mods on Nexus and not on steam.

9f8.png

Golden words. Platinum words.

And if serious modders really left the modding scene just because of this they are stupid, if you don´t liked it or hated it just release your mods on Nexus and not on steam.

It is not stupid. If you don't something, and especially if you hate something, stupid thing is to just let it be, to stand in a different place, pretending it is not happening. And this is what you ask to do. The ones who left because of it were the ones of action. They probably could do something else, but their retirement probably was one of the things that made the fire burn. Probably their disappointed fans were a significant part of those who were against this particular system. Probably those who left are the ones who we have to thank for the fact that pay-for-mods stuff is gone... for now.

What strikes me the most is the fact that Bethesda is involved in such stuff... I expect every kind of stab from Steam, but Bethesda... They were the best in my eyes, even when they announced and released TES: Online. But I guess it's over, they've just proved they have no differences from the other big teams on the scene.

Edited by RossRam