Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Black List

finalgenesis

A black list to ensure you won't play in the same game with specific people would be wonderful.

For whichever reason.

For me it would be:

1) You find them very rude.

2) You find your play style don't mesh with theirs, especially on far roamers on mobile def and defense missions, who are very common. While there are rare instances where roaming out makes sense, most seem to have zero concept of  experience mechanics. These waste of space in your party cause loss of xp for everyone including themselves, missed mods for actual defenders especially on exit waves (5,10,15,20 ...etc) and sometimes even mission fail.

3) host who have very bad ping due to poor connection between you, simply due to geographic divide or whichever ...etc

...etc

I just keep a personal hand-written Black List on a spiral-bound notebook right next to my keyboard for multiple games, not just Warframe. It's especially useful in WF though since there is no built-in Blacklist. I do wish we had an automated Blacklist, it's really a necessity as games gain larger playerbases especially.

My personal blacklist is the main reason I am dead-set against being able to purchase paid name-changes in the cash shop, but that's a topic for another day.

I've been saying that an option like this would help curb the rusher vs. completionists civil war for a while. So +1 OP.

If we could use "tags" in our games and/or had a server browser, it'd be a lot more constructive than blocking random people every now and then.

Example {from RE6}:

inpwKcW.jpg

xKxEOq8.jpg

This wasn't the best time for RE6 so there wasn't a lot of choices, but you get the idea. "Playing for Fun", "Serious Players Only", "Veterans Only", "New Player", "Speedrunning" etc etc. You can also see the host's latency and how far the mission have progressed, we definitely need something like this in Warframe...

Edited by CapricaSix

Name and shame threads are no good. If you want to do this please do it privately.

While I agree with what you're saying, why did you post it here? Nobody got named or shamed here. OP is talking about an option for an in-game personal blacklist feature. Nobody but the user would see who had been blocked. This is in no way public shaming.

Edited by Aramahn

Interesting concept. However. When I hear "Black List" I think of something slightly more epic. Like specific targets somewhere in the system we have to hunt down by going out of our way to kill for rare mods or resources or cash. That or the last good Need for Speed game.

Interesting concept. However. When I hear "Black List" I think of something slightly more epic. Like specific targets somewhere in the system we have to hunt down by going out of our way to kill for rare mods or resources or cash. That or the last good Need for Speed game.

LOL, cool idea if not just a tad off-topic.

Not a terrible idea, but lots of stuff more important to do first.

+1 to OP. I completely agree that it would make my gaming experience much better, but there are much more important things to do first, like getting rid of the near constant connection issues for many players. Make it so I can connect to everyone consistently before I get the choice to block some of them.

I think that blacklists that block you from playing with people do more damage to the community than it helps.  It would chop up the community into a whole bunch of subgroups because different people would all be blocking eachother.  In finding groups you wouldn't be able to join certain squads even if there was an empty slot, causing a whole ton of incomplete squads. Public games are meant to be public.  There is already a a way to combat playing with people whose playstyles don't fit your own, and that is to make like-minded friends and play private games with them or join a clan with a focus on playstyles you enjoy.  This way it is a constructive system of creating communities and not a destructive one of creating artificial isolation in a mode that is meant to be public.

Traditionally blacklists in mmo's are simply a way of blocking the chat of rude people.  I wouldn't be against something like that.

Oh dear how i would love a option to black list all the brain less kids on this game...altho i would probably end with like 90% of the population "banned" from my missions in like a month...

Irony police have noticed your inability to spell "brainless", and have dispatched units to your location. Have another day.

I think that blacklists that block you from playing with people do more damage to the community than it helps.  It would chop up the community into a whole bunch of subgroups because different people would all be blocking eachother.  In finding groups you wouldn't be able to join certain squads even if there was an empty slot, causing a whole ton of incomplete squads. Public games are meant to be public.

You raise a good point, but there is a solution. You have a personal blacklist, when you try and join a game with a blacklisted player it warns you and you have the choice whether to join or not.

If you are in game, unless a majority have a joining player blacklisted, they can join and you get a warning a blacklisted player joined and their name. So if it's just you in a game a blacklisted player cant join, 2, people, both must have a joining player blacklisted, 3 people 2 must have...

This gives a workable solution most of the time....at the moment the whitelist option is good, but limits you to those "friends", blacklist allows on-line play, with at least the numbskulls blacklisted...it might also improve community behaviour if troublemakers knew people could blacklist them. Often these sort of people love to work behind a user-name people won't have any real way of remembering or checking next time they join a game.

Interesting comment from someone else about people being able to purchase name changes and bypass a blacklist, hopefully this could not happen as your blacklist would work at an internal user identifier level. So the name could change, but they would still be blacklisted on your personal list. The next time they try and join you or you join them, your personal list looks at the internal id sees a blacklisted player, sees the name doesn't match, updates the name in your index and informs you. e.g.Blacklisted player "spongebob" (previous name "squarepants") - Index updated.

If we could use "tags" in our games and/or had a server browser, it'd be a lot more constructive than blocking random people every now and then.

Example {from RE6}:

inpwKcW.jpg

xKxEOq8.jpg

This wasn't the best time for RE6 so there wasn't a lot of choices, but you get the idea. "Playing for Fun", "Serious Players Only", "Veterans Only", "New Player", "Speedrunning" etc etc. You can also see the host's latency and how far the mission have progressed, we definitely need something like this in Warframe...

On top of a real matchmaker, and some ping optimization coding thrown in (Stop connecting me to players hosting on the other side of the planet resulting in 1k+ ms lag!)

Also another issue that would arise from a real matchmaker is that for most of the map, too few players are scattered over too many missions. The MM should take that into account and I could think of the following changes:

1) Players can select a planet in MM, from which a list on join-able mission will be listed for that system. The list of game will include a ping ms response figure, so you know how laggy it will be for you.

2) When players select a mission but haven't launched it yet, he will show up on the MM listing with "Waiting for cell members".

3) When creating games you can add tags to it of course, so rushers can rush and completionist can do full clears without running into each other.

On top of a real matchmaker, and some ping optimization coding thrown in (Stop connecting me to players hosting on the other side of the planet resulting in 1k+ ms lag!)

Also another issue that would arise from a real matchmaker is that for most of the map, too few players are scattered over too many missions. The MM should take that into account and I could think of the following changes:

1) Players can select a planet in MM, from which a list on join-able mission will be listed for that system. The list of game will include a ping ms response figure, so you know how laggy it will be for you.

2) When players select a mission but haven't launched it yet, he will show up on the MM listing with "Waiting for cell members".

3) When creating games you can add tags to it of course, so rushers can rush and completionist can do full clears without running into each other.

The difference is, there won't be any literal "matchmaking" if they do this, we'll be able to choose what we like, that's what a server browser is for, and I believe that's exactly what we need.

I'm quite sick of waiting for the matchmaking to find me a group among 3 active groups already playing on that certain planet, then it fails for no reason after a couple of seconds and I'm thrown in the lobby with Play Now button blinking. The whole system trivialises the online game modes as it is, especially because it's p2p, being randomly thrown into some group who's either awfully lagging or rushing through everything while not noticing you're even there.

I don't see any upside or a reasonable explanation to choose random matchmaking over a real server browser with search filters and whatnot, I really hope they do consider this at some point.

PS, Trivial Fact: RE6 has random matchmaking only when you play Agent Hunt, to prevent trolling by joining the same person over and over just to bother him and hinder his gameplay. That said, Agent Hunt is Coop/PVP, so it makes sense to limit the " invaders' " power since he doesn't really take any part in the game's progression but rather hops into others' coop campaign as an extra enemy to have fun.

The difference is, there won't be any literal "matchmaking" if they do this, we'll be able to choose what we like, that's what a server browser is for, and I believe that's exactly what we need.

I'm quite sick of waiting for the matchmaking to find me a group among 3 active groups already playing on that certain planet, then it fails for no reason after a couple of seconds and I'm thrown in the lobby with Play Now button blinking. The whole system trivialises the online game modes as it is, especially because it's p2p, being randomly thrown into some group who's either awfully lagging or rushing through everything while not noticing you're even there.

I don't see any upside or a reasonable explanation to choose random matchmaking over a real server browser with search filters and whatnot, I really hope they do consider this at some point.

PS, Trivial Fact: RE6 has random matchmaking only when you play Agent Hunt, to prevent trolling by joining the same person over and over just to bother him and hinder his gameplay. That said, Agent Hunt is Coop/PVP, so it makes sense to limit the " invaders' " power since he doesn't really take any part in the game's progression but rather hops into others' coop campaign as an extra enemy to have fun.

Ah yes I got my terms mixed up, not so much a matchmaker but a server game browser. A MM can be bonus as a "quick join button", after setting your criteria like acceptable ping, acceptable missions list, play style ...etc

Ah yes I got my terms mixed up, not so much a matchmaker but a server game browser. A MM can be bonus as a "quick join button", after setting your criteria like acceptable ping, acceptable missions list, play style ...etc

True and a good idea, no need to completely dump the matchmaking thats already in place, it'd make good use that way as long as it bypasses certain tags similar to "Serious Players Only" and such.