Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Happens To Affinity You Gain On Level 30 Frames/weapons?

(XBOX)Shard77

Question

8 answers to this question

Took this from the wiki:

Upon gaining enough Affinity, equipment will rank up and gain one extra point of Mod capacity (two points when supercharged via an Orokin Catalyst or Orokin Reactor), used for applying mods. Despite players often calling it "experience," Affinity is stored in each specific item, not the player's character/account; if an item is sold or used in crafting, it loses all of its associated Affinity and ranks.

Affinity does not directly affect a player's Mastery Rank, but a player does gain 200 Mastery points per level on a Warframe, Companion or Archwing and 100 Mastery points per level on a weapon.

Does that affinity get "stored" and then applied to the next sub-level 30 frame/weapon you equip or does it just go away?

I'm guessing it's the latter, but I figured I'd ask.  Thanks.

All affinity gained on a frame/weapon past level 30 is lost. However, gaining xp with a maxed frame/weapon still grants bonus xp, which gives a small amount of xp to your other weapons.

However, gaining xp with a maxed frame/weapon still grants bonus xp, which gives a small amount of xp to your other weapons.

Sorry, how is that?

I generally level one weapon at a time (two when I have an affinity booster, on top tier spy missions, 24k affinity every data terminal), or one weapon and a frame.

I never get affinity to a secondary, using a primary that has been capped. The bonus I get for the secondary comes from challenges completion, affinity orbs, hacking, capturing terminals or other "general" events on the mission, but killing with my capped weapon gives nothing to the other one...

Let's play a game

We have a game with 3 Tennos, all of whom are within 50m of each other killing enemies.

Tenno A kills  50 enemies with his melee weapon.

Tenno B kills 50 enemies with his secondary

Tenno C kills 200 enemies with Frame Abilities that deal damage.

Everyone would receive bonus exp based on which weapons were used to kill what. You would see more frame-based bonus exp since more enemies were killed with frame powers.

I THINK THAT'S ACCURATE. I MIGHT JUST ALWAYS BE TOO STONED TO KNOW WTF IS GOING ON.

o3o

Let's play a game

We have a game with 3 Tennos, all of whom are within 50m of each other killing enemies.

Tenno A kills  50 enemies with his melee weapon.

Tenno B kills 50 enemies with his secondary

Tenno C kills 200 enemies with Frame Abilities that deal damage.

Everyone would receive bonus exp based on which weapons were used to kill what. You would see more frame-based bonus exp since more enemies were killed with frame powers.

I THINK THAT'S ACCURATE. I MIGHT JUST ALWAYS BE TOO STONED TO KNOW WTF IS GOING ON.

o3o

KNvUvs.jpg

The weapon gains affinity, but is effectively lost.  It's something of a gambit.  You can have rank 30 equipment as you rank up other equipment (wasted affinity for one item), but if Stalker or Syndicate hit squad comes for you, you won't be defenseless.  Conversely, you can have all unranked equipment (no wasted affinity), but you'll be more vulnerable.