Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Thoughts On Final Fantasy Xv (Demo)

TheErebus.

2 days ago, I livestreamed me playing the Final Fantasy XV demo. Good times were had, branches were despised, and parries took 5 minutes for me to master.

Da stream

I thought I may as well give my thoughts on it.

Story is of course not involved in this so I'm skipping it.

Gameplay: The gameplay for the game is similar to Final Fantasy Type-0's real time combat. In here, the combat feels smooth and fast paced. You have 5 weapons in the demo, two shortwords, two spears and then one greatsword. Each of them feels different in terms of their effects and how they work. For example, the Wyvern spear lands a lot of critical hits and can be used to get rid of enemies very quickly. You can warp to enemies and do a warp strike, which can deal quite a large amount of damage and can land you some quick hits as well as close the gap between enemies. 

The combat also utilizes defense and parries. Although for Dark Souls/Bloodborne vets, the parries aren't exactly what you may think. You need to hold down the defense button and allow the attack with the specific marker above them to attack you. Then you can parry by pressing the attack button.

There are techniques in the game which act as a special ability of sorts. For example, Life drain uses the Blood sword you have to restore your health by leeching off of another enemy's health. Each weapon has their own technique and you don't need to equip the weapon to use a specific technique.

The demo is not open world but it is quite expansive, it is a demo after-all. But the game does make you feel you that you can explore a lot and there appears to be a balance between what you can do in the game and what you cannot do.

Characters: The characters are very enjoyable. Though they all dress very similarly, each of them have their own distinct personalities and banter between one another that makes them stand out. Which I do like.

Except for Prompto. YOU ARE USELESS AND YOU LOOK REALLY STUPID. IF I COULD, I'D LET THE GOBLINS EAT YOU ALIVE.

Visuals: The game looks amazing...a little bit too amazing. It suffers from slight frame rate drops during intensive combat, but otherwise remains stable. I highly recommend you play the demo/game in Japanese for the sake of proper lip-syncing. 

Music:

I don't need to say anymore. The music speaks for itself.

Conclusion: I really enjoyed the demo. Took me about 4 hours to complete and even then I wanted to go back and experience the demo in its entirety. It is a little bit hard at times but it isn't impossible. 

If you can, I do recommend you get the demo...but then you have to buy Final Fantasy Type-0. Which is an ok game but...yeah. Not really worth the demo.

They also mentioned that anti aliasing is not in the demo. But yeah, I already looked up a review of the demo. As much as I want to try it, I don't think it's worth buying a game I probably wont play just to try it.

Type-0 isn't a bad game, but it isn't a good one either.

It's decent.

A PSP game it most certainly was and still is, even if it was ported to the PS4.

Type-0 isn't a bad game, but it isn't a good one either.

It's decent.

A PSP game it most certainly was and still is, even if it was ported to the PS4.

Exactly. The PSP kind of held back alot of games. I'm sure type 0 would have been much better if it released on the vita. Vita ports wouldn't be so bad.

The only games I truely enjoyed on PSP were KZ liberation (probably the only top down shooter I thoroughly enjoyed), and wipeout pure (and it's huge list of free DLC). I just used it as a music player otherwise.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

I envy you Erebus, you're still able to put trust into Squaresoft and FF titles.

Actually, they haven't been Squaresoft in years, they merged with Enix and became Square Enix, And pretty much all of there announced upcoming games look amazing this time around, like they're in a last ditch effort to stop themselves going under by actually putting out quality products this time around.