Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Changing The Formula Of Future Syndicate Weapons

Casardis

Power creep has been a subject often talked about and also addressed by DE in response to the community's worries. However, with the way many new content are handled lately (Prisma/Mara weapons, Prime mods, Syndicate weapons), this subject definitely has its place in top priority discussion I believe.

In any case, this topic isn't about power creep in general, but just the potential of Syndicate weapons, which can be related to power creeping as we get clear straight upgrades of existing weapons (the minor damage distribution difference in some weapons is what it is; minor). Therefore, I'd like to suggest one thing for future Syndicate weapons, a very simple thing.

Unique Syndicate weapons, proper to the Syndicate, and only available from them and nowhere else (no "normal variants").

Although this won't really fix the power creep concerns in general, it might do a few things:

- Give a more unique flavor to the Syndicate themselves with truly unique weapons (still tradeable if rank 0), instead of reskinned, complete upgrades of regular weapons

- Give the art team more room for creativity instead of constantly popping new content on the market

- Give players less of a feeling of disappointment that they get a reskinned straight upgrade of a weapon they had and recently potato'ed + forma'ed.

Some may argue that it's like Primes, Wraiths, Vandals and Prisma, where you can't really expect what the next upgraded weapon it will be. To that I'd respond we don't need a fifth variant applying the same template when clearly, DE could be more creative and give us something better, along with a better identity to the Syndicates themselves. Also, Primes at least aren't just a simple surface reskin.

So please, for future Syndicate weapons, don't pick easy choices by giving us a Vaykor Tonkor (you know it's not a far-fetched statement since they gave us Vaykor Marelok) or something like that. Instead, be creative and make new assets, new weapons unique to these small factions while having their innate benefits (Justice, Truth, etc). You guys are creative, and you can definitely make further use of it in the Syndicates as well.

Edited by Casardis

As much as I like this idea, in order to keep things fair, they would have to give each of the 6 main syndicates a weapon at the same time.

When's the last time you saw that many weapons added at the same time?

The alternative is to release them one syndicate at a time, which while irritating a large portion of the playerbase, could still see your idea implemented.

If I may, though... they should have Justice/Truth+2.

o3o

When the first batch of Syndicate weapons were released, it was 6 at the same time, was it not?

I'm not sure why you think they can't add 6 at the same time, as if it was an impossible chore. They work on some weapons in long terms (I'm in the design council so I could see some coming much in advance, like the Boltace), and between the previews and the actual release, they still gave us new weapons that didn't have previews. Besides, there was once a time where we got pretty much a new weapon every week, which means a huge amount of work in a short amount of time by DE.

Knowing all that, there's nothing far-fetched with DE working on 6 unique Syndicate weapons and releasing them all at once only after they are all finished, from modelling to stats and function, while releasing new random content in between. Syndicate weapons should be unique because of where they come from, the way to acquire them, and their special effects. That should be incentive enough for DE to work harder on them.

Edited by Casardis

All I really care about in this thread is how op stated we don't need 5 of the same weapon/template.

My god op is so right

You know this is a problem when you hear dozens of people stating they won't forma a certain weapon until it becomes prime/vandal/wraith which is crazy yet completely understandable

Edited by (PS4)JiggaJazz

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone who followed the latest Devstream news, I think it's safe to say DE did change the formula of Syndicate weapons, which really brings a sigh of relief out of me. They showed what seems to be a unique Cephalon Suda primary weapon that will be released in the future.

Image from AM-Bunny, as indicated in the quote.

0a6f57ca9436a696ac435981c0c174f8.png

We'll see where it goes from there. I'm not a big fan of the obviously reused Gammacore assets on the barrel, but I do like the rest of the shape. To be seen.

Edited by Casardis

They really like the Suda faction, don't they? Well they did eventually nerf the synoid gammacor's ammo efficiency into the ground...

Still, they should show as much love to red veil as they do to Suda.  Especially since the Veil is the first syndicate introduced into the game.

They really like the Suda faction, don't they? Well they did eventually nerf the synoid gammacor's ammo efficiency into the ground...

Still, they should show as much love to red veil as they do to Suda.  Especially since the Veil is the first syndicate introduced into the game.

I'm personally not sure if they really like them to that point. After all, so far their Suda designs all use obvious existing assets (the Gammacor), from the Syandana to the new Primary. XD

do we ge to keep our current variations or do we get a legendary core? because the devs have intentionally been avoiding that subject and major cuts like this would bring up an old sore spot.

What do you mean? It's a new concept of a PRIMARY weapon. They don't replace the existing ones.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I like this idea, in order to keep things fair, they would have to give each of the 6 main syndicates a weapon at the same time.

Augment mods are released in waves but not for every syndicate at a time, so there is a precedent.  They could easily release two at a time, which was a standard for Wednesday updates for a long time.  

I'm personally not sure if they really like them to that point. After all, so far their Suda designs all use obvious existing assets (the Gammacor), from the Syandana to the new Primary. XD

next thing we know they will release gammacor with light saber as melee.

• 2 months later...

But weapons are tiered, and these weapons are mr gated.

They deserved to be upgrades.

I'm not sure if you actually read my topic thoroughly, or missed my main points in bullet forms. I'm not talking about whether a weapon "deserves" an upgrade. In fact, my first two points in bullet form is what's most important to me here. Let me copy-paste it for your convenience.

- Give a more unique flavor to the Syndicate themselves with truly unique weapons (still tradeable if rank 0), instead of reskinned, complete upgrades of regular weapons

- Give the art team more room for creativity instead of constantly popping new content on the market

What this does is the opposite IMO, as it's only a reskin of an existing weapon (less creativity involved compared to making new models and effects based on the faction's cause). I also think it may contribute to the power-creeping issue, though I can argue back to myself that there are good points in this, such as people liking a certain weapon specifically and getting an upgraded version of it, rather than changing the weapon completely. I'm also glad that the mastery lock is quite high because they're just so powerful.

However, the choice of weaponry is very questionable. I can see it for Tigris, but I don't understand why Hek was picked other than to try kindling the shotgun-buff flame. Hek already has a Syndicate Mod, so why does it get a Syndicate weapon as well? It just seems redundant to me. It isn't a completely questionable decision though, since thoughts have been put in it carefully in some areas (like how you can't equip said mod on the Vaykor Hek).

Edited by Casardis