Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Matchmaking Ping Limit - Stupidest Idea Ever!

Lyvshalker

I know I'm supposed to keep it civil... But WTH are you thinking DE? Maximum matchingmaking ping limit 300ms? I can't even join a single game in an entire system now! Nice job making this game a co-op singleplayer game.

Be sensible and raise the value to 600 or higher please. I'm sure its well within most players tolerance range.

I haven't had a chance to test it. I thought it was optional or can the host set it so people above certain limits can't join?

As long as players from different continents can still play together in private sessions then it shouldn't affect my clan too much.

I haven't had a chance to test it. I thought it was optional or can the host set it so people above certain limits can't join?

As long as players from different continents can still play together in private sessions then it shouldn't affect my clan too much.

Nope it's compulsory....

AFAIK, it doesn't affect private sessions.

Even if you set yours to 600ms that doesn't mean you will connect to other people.

THEY have to set theirs to 600ms as well.  If they only allow a ping of 200 or below you will never connect to them anyway.

Also, have you chosen the correct region?

Even if you set yours to 600ms that doesn't mean you will connect to other people.

THEY have to set theirs to 600ms as well.  If they only allow a ping of 200 or below you will never connect to them anyway.

Also, have you chosen the correct region?

Oh I see... Still, setting 600 as default won't hurt too much.

And I do have the right region. It's just my provider sucks a lot.

It's just my provider sucks a lot.

You just answered your own question. if you knew you have a crappy provider then why do you sound so surprised that you can't join others because they don't want a lagfest?

You just answered your own question. if you knew you have a crappy provider then why do you sound so surprised that you can't join others because they don't want a lagfest?

That's why I'm suggesting we raise the maximum selectable value. Or some players with crappy internet connection will just pack up and leave, won't they?

Edited by Lyvshalker

wait a second, since when did a slow clients lag the others?

Ping is not the main issue of lag.

It is the upload of the host.

^^ also this: https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/entries/23612001--5-Game-Host-Lag

to quote: "[...] poor upload speeds (sub 2Mbps)"

in a bug thread one guy monitored his upload and with 3 clients warframe used up his 1mbit/s upload limit and lagged.

Edited by SlyBoots

I know I'm supposed to keep it civil... But WTH are you thinking DE? Maximum matchingmaking ping limit 300ms? I can't even join a single game in an entire system now! Nice job making this game a co-op singleplayer game.

Be sensible and raise the value to 600 or higher please. I'm sure its well within most players tolerance range.

Maybe the option should be more like if you are set to 600ms you CAN NOT host EVER. If you lag when a client it really matters not unless your not killing anything. To be honest this has made playing online a joy for me. I set mine to 150ms and have not had a bad game since.

Maybe the option should be more like if you are set to 600ms you CAN NOT host EVER. If you lag when a client it really matters not unless your not killing anything. To be honest this has made playing online a joy for me. I set mine to 150ms and have not had a bad game since.

It seems the setting would go both ways. If you set the value to be 150, you won't join any laggy host as client and won't receive any laggy client as host.

The only problem is you can join a not laggy host with laggy fellow clients if the host set the value too high...

It seems to me that the matchmaking ping limits should be one directional given that this game is PvE.  If PvP is ever fully introduced then maybe there could be a separate setting for PvP.

What I mean by one directional is that whatever you set your matchmaking limit at (say 175-200ms) should just mean that you won't connect to someone that has a ping higher than that, however if you are hosting it should let anyone join.  Personally I haven't had a single instance where someone connected to my game was lagging and it ruined the experience for everyone.  It seems like this would be a decent enough solution to where you could avoid joining a laggy game if you choose to, but those with poor internet connections (for whatever reason, honestly doesn't matter) don't get hung out to dry.

I think there should be separate values for (maybe it works this way already, I dunno) for who you want connecting to you when you are host, and who you are willing to connect to when they are hosting.

I don't want to joint a host to whom I have over 300 ping, but if someone else is happy to join a game where I am host and they have over 300 ping, I don't really care, it doesn't affect me or the other players that hugely other than them being slow to react sometimes...

I would really prefer this current system to being forced to play with hosts who are obviously living on the moon. Although I guess it would also be tolerable if the filter had an option to be turned off, and only ever works for client-to-host. If a client is laggy, they only really affect their own gameplay experience, so I don't see why not let people join high-ping games at their own risk.

the min limit is too bad... i bet more then half instantly set it to 100... even tho 200 is perfectly playable.

I noticed a massive drop in groups even on prime time - and i actually had no  real lag issues when joinign games - or even when hosting.

That ping limit should perhaps only apply to hosts, not players who want to join the game. If someone with 600 ping to host wants to join and play.. .fine. Hes the one who lagss.

ok total noob question but how do i change my ping?

If you're referring to the matchmaking ping limit that the OP was talking about, see this pic:

matchingmakingpinglimit.jpg

If you're talking about your ping itself, all ping means is that is the time for a packet of data to travel from your computer to the other person's computer. So say you lived on the east cost and I live on the west coast it would probably take around 150-200ms for a packet of data to make its way from me, to you and back. The limit that they've put into place appears to effect hosting and client equally, so if the limit is set to say 200ms because you don't want to join laggy hosts... people with over 200ms ping cannot join you. This is what the majority of people here are proposing is that the limit shouldn't effect people joining you, just you joining other people.

On another note, I think that people with computers that cannot handle hosting and that don't have high enough upload speeds are a larger issue than people with high ping times. I've definitely played in games hosted with rather high ping times, but no real lag issues because the upload speed was high enough.