Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Matchmaking Ping Limit - Stupidest Idea Ever!

Lyvshalker

I gotta' say, this feature is a bit of a nightmare for me. I'm used to laggy gameplay, and I have no complaints about that, it doesn't detract anything from the game anymore. But now, I can't join anyone.

Why?

Because I'm in South Africa..

My internet is good, for this country.. I try not to host for online guys much, since I know I'll be laggy for them.. But I can't even join games now. It's a little heartbreaking, since I don't want to play Warframe solo..

many of the hosts never lag - until mobs spawn. Thats not a lag issue but their cpu simply cant handle the hosting.

Mobs spawn -> More info needs to be sent to the clients -> More network usage -> If it reaches the host's upload limit, it will start lagging. It's not only CPU that gets loaded from mobs.

Mobs spawn -> More info needs to be sent to the clients -> More network usage -> If it reaches the host's upload limit, it will start lagging. It's not only CPU that gets loaded from mobs.

The point he was making is that even with a good upload speed, if your cpu isn't up to the job you'll still be a poor host.

The hosts upload speed affects what kind of latency you have with them :|

I mean the upload bandwidth, not speed.

Having bandwidth enough to handle 1 client does not mean the host can handle 2 or even 3 clients.

More clients needs more upload bandwidth and THAT is the cause of the lag.

Your ping does not matter .

Oh well it matters if your ping is realy hight. But a 300 ping is normaly half the globe :D

Edited by Irfir

I mean the upload bandwidth, not speed.

Having bandwidth enough to handle 1 client does not mean the host can handle 2 or even 3 clients.

More clients needs more upload bandwidth and THAT is the cause of the lag.

Your ping does not matter .

Oh well it matters if your ping is realy hight. But a 300 ping is normaly half the globe :D

Semantics.  If you have good upload speed you have good upload bandwidth.

Does it realy change the fact that you need more of it for more clients? :)

They'll get a bad ping to you if you don't have good enough upload to host properly.  Even with a single team mate I've seen the game sending out upwards of 100 kb/s at times.

They'll get a bad ping to you if you don't have good enough upload to host properly.  Even with a single team mate I've seen the game sending out upwards of 100 kb/s at times.

We are talking about a ping right? A ping is not big. It does fit in little hole.

While handling a client needs tons of information, it won't fit through that little hole.

You see what i mean.

When you start the game, your ping can realy be very good.

It does not mean the host has the required upload to handle the information needed to "lagfree" handle all clients.

This wouldn't be a problem if DE put in some work on their netcode and actually made the game pick the best host before each game starts. That's all you need to do, that way a laggy person can join with other players but that person won't have any impact on anyone elses performance.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using 200ms limit mainly to host games really. Tend to get ppl joining quite often.

8/10 no joke of the alert missions are hosted by the slowest host .. 2s lags is the norm.

Problem is that majority have no clue how the game works and assume it is like all other online games .. hosted by the company. Which brings up another issue where a friend of mine gave up after getting 5-6 terrible hosts in a row and just assumed game is just terribly laggy .. had to explain but damage was done.