Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Flux Rifle? We Have The Technology!

-HAKUNA-YOUR-TATAS-

Looks awesome, but I remain unimpressed until the day they make something that can cut through heavy stuff, like a log, an arm, go through glass etc.

its just not possible yet. The energy consumption is absurd. The most powerful lasers in the world are hardly anything like we see in games and sci fi movies, and they take of a LOT of space.

Still, its a cool thing he build, but its still just a toy. Sure you could blind someone with it, or burn their arm if they let you shoot them the same spot for 2min, but meh :D

its just not possible yet. The energy consumption is absurd. The most powerful lasers in the world are hardly anything like we see in games and sci fi movies, and they take of a LOT of space.

You could probably get one decent shot out of a couple of car batteries.

That's really it, though.  We've had the technology for "futuristic weaponry" for YEARS - my father watched a guy burn a hole in a theatre screen with a laser projector back in the '70s; we just still don't have the battery technology to power them... and there's no real incentive to develop it when we already have ballistic weapons which are perfectly efficient at putting holes in things you want dead.

If anything, I think the next "big advance" will be railguns.  They still have the power issue but it's not nearly as steep.

Looks awesome, but I remain unimpressed until the day they make something that can cut through heavy stuff, like a log, an arm, go through glass etc.

Still, its a cool thing he build, but its still just a toy. Sure you could blind someone with it, or burn their arm if they let you shoot them the same spot for 2min, but meh :D

Yeah but this is just someone building something cool in their garage.  Still a great effort in my opinion.

Also, you can bet yer @$$ that if he had something that could cut people's limbs off (like the in game Flux Rifle) and posting it on youtube, the Pentagon would be knocking on his door shortly after.  (Although the Pentagon is probably interested in him now anyways.)

we do have lasers that can go throught glass diamonds n stuff, i believe we had them for 10 years at least, main problem aside from the fact that you need industrial level power output to operate them is dissipation and there's no workaround, the smoke from the burning target itself shields the target from the beam, lasers just don't work out as weaponry, microwaves on the other hand dont have that much issues with smoke and amospheric problems but are much more difficult to focus  and hardly reach past melee range anyway

Speaking as someone who has never professionally Scienced, doesn't the visibility of the beams mean he's losing a lot of power?

I mean, it's still damn impressive. The heat sink is particularly interesting. I don't see any fans, either.

we do have lasers that can go throught glass diamonds n stuff, i believe we had them for 10 years at least, main problem aside from the fact that you need industrial level power output to operate them is dissipation and there's no workaround, the smoke from the burning target itself shields the target from the beam, lasers just don't work out as weaponry, microwaves on the other hand dont have that much issues with smoke and amospheric problems but are much more difficult to focus  and hardly reach past melee range anyway

yeah I know, but putting lasers like that into something hand held is not realistic. Thats what I was trying to say

US military have some slumbering behemoths which can deliver 'instant' laser shots packing absurt amounts of energy. Not the sustained laser type, more of an instant flash of destruction. They use a weird chemistry to release the energy though, and it creates massive amounts of toxic waste. It is massive enough have to be mounted on e.g. tanks and would have a traditional ammo for each shot because of the non-reversible chemical reactions. 

So it's still prototype-level, but in theory would be able to MAYBE shoot down a fighter craft.

US military have some slumbering behemoths which can deliver 'instant' laser shots packing absurt amounts of energy. Not the sustained laser type, more of an instant flash of destruction. They use a weird chemistry to release the energy though, and it creates massive amounts of toxic waste. It is massive enough have to be mounted on e.g. tanks and would have a traditional ammo for each shot because of the non-reversible chemical reactions. 

So it's still prototype-level, but in theory would be able to MAYBE shoot down a fighter craft.

Are you perhaps talking about bomb-pumped lasers? There've been some forays into proving the idea, up to and including the concept of a laser powered by exploding nuclear ordnance, but yeah... I wouldn't want to be in the field when that one failed.

Are you perhaps talking about bomb-pumped lasers? There've been some forays into proving the idea, up to and including the concept of a laser powered by exploding nuclear ordnance, but yeah... I wouldn't want to be in the field when that one failed.

I wouldn't want to be in the field even if it succeeded.

Field has bullets.  Plus jet fighters probably equal a lot of shrapnel.

I thought he meant something else when he said "switch me on" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Well, it's Bill Murray.

So, probably.

Although Dan's usually the straight man, badum badum.

Edited by TheDorque