Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Something Needs To Change About This...

VivaNyanCat

...you ever notice how some people are absolutely unprepared for life? What if I told you that those people are the people you've once known to get perfect grades, perfect everything on their academics? These people are so unprepared for life, some of them can end up Jobless, Homeless, everything. Simply because they don't know how to get a job. They don't know how to get a home. My cousin had to look up how to trade stocks, how to pay mortage, how to apply for a job effectively, he couldn't take an optional class for first aid --- which saves lives--- because he had to do absolutely insanely irrelevant math problems that he has never, will never, use in his future. He had to look up his human rights, he wasn't taught the laws of his country--- yes, you heard the kitteh right--- His country did not teach him that. No rulebook, no nothing.

Now I don't know why, but I was thinking about this in the afternoon for some time. I decided to watch some youtube. Then I bumped into this one video called "Don't stay in school"

Before you get all butthurt and say "This title is OBVIOUSLY promoting kids to drop out of school," you're wrong. Just go look up "Don't stay in school," on youtube, and watch the video done by Boyinaband.

*You are not relevant to these lines unless you've watched the video. What do you think would happen if nothing is done about this? Should more people be aware that their own kids, friends, and family are not being taught their Human Rights? How to Get a job? Express your opinion, and be sure to spread the word.

You could have at least provided a link to the video:

Putting all the responsibility of teaching a child how the world works on schools is kind of excessive. Schools are supposed to teach us the stuff we need for the next level of school and social behaviour and etiquette in a group.

Granted I don't know where you are from so you education system might be different, but here, all the stuff you are bringing up is the responsibility of the parents (or parental figures) to teach.

Thanks for linking the vid, I was too lazy to do so >.<

It might be a little much to put on kids, but the problem exists in college, too.

btw I live in the US, and I know for sure this problem also exists in the UK, as well. Not all schools and colleges, mind you, most.

Edited by VivaNyanCat

Kid does something stupid, parents blame violence on video games and on the tv.

Dont put the blame on stuff that isnt the problem.

Idk in what country u live in, but most of the world is in economic crises, and the entire world is being governed by the greed of big corporations.

Thats why most of this generation is having trouble finding jobs and connecting with the reality of the world.

Edited by 7grims

I'm (trying) not to put the blame down, only express the truth. We don't know what we don't know, It should be a country's job to teach us their own laws. At least, that's my take on it. I'm too tired to debate, I'll check on this tomorrow.

*wipes tears from eyes*

*puts down pitchfork*

"I thought it was going to be a different type of thread"

In seriousness. At the very least there should be 1 mandatory class in High School that teaches at the absolute least some basics. I have teenage sisters and they have showed me that(not sure if this applies to other countries[i'm in the U.S.A.] or states) there are mandatory classes that you have to take at least 2-3 years while in school. They can easily have another mandatory class for 4 credits(never understood the way credits worked in HS, just that I somehow graduated) and reduce the "elective" courses by the same amount. Pretty sure they can do without the Anime Club or Weight Training class.

At least I had some considerate teachers in my time around. Some like my economics teacher Mr. Fitzgerald took a step away from the syllabus and showed us how to file taxes. Another, made sure we had a basic resume done. That is something that is appalling to me that they can get reprimanded for going out of their ways to help us(as it was explained to us). The state demands that they just do as they are told and follow with how they have set up the teaching criteria.

BTW one of my math teachers fully admited that there is no reason for us to learn more than "business math" unless you become an engineer or computer wizard. Safe to say we all got nothing but A's in his class for 2 years by messing around during his period.

Business math as he defined it was addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Square root what?

I went to a private Christian middle/high school, and I do very much feel that some of my teachers let their students down.

There were enough who really cared to try and teach us stuff we would badly need once we got out of the private school bubble, but I'll never forget Mr. Morgan who taught an AP calculus class and then wouldn't let us take the AP Cal exam because "none of us would pass it," so he didn't see the point.

More important than just throwing the "right" information at students: we need to make our school systems in such a way that students come to love learning - not all will, but we need to connect with as many as possible. It doesn't matter what you're teaching if you can't make people enjoy the learning process.

In the US, the public school system  - by and large - sucks in a big way. I think students, teachers and officials should accept equal parts of the blame. People at least do realize there is a problem here, but all parties are too busy blaming the others. We may not get our educational sh*t together until technology pushes a great many humans out of the job markets.

Honestly, I'm more concerned that our country doesn't adequately protect its citizens' right to work. That problem is made worse when your citizens can't be competitive with those of other countries in the first place, so I don't really know which is the bigger problem right now.

Seriously, be good to each other in here, because it's a damn mess out there.