Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Change Alerts To Tenno Research

rhoenix

As an aside, this same system can be used to provide different screen layouts as research projects as well.

Several users have suggested changing the in-game screen layout in various ways; different placement of info boxes, different crosshair, and other changes. Introducing different faction-based "themes" for the player's in-game HUD, craftable through the Alert system, would go quite a way toward allowing for customization to a player's taste.

As an example, let's say in addition to the normal "Tenno" theme for in-game HUD, DE could then release the Grinner HUD, Corpus HUD, Infested HUD, and the Orokin Prime HUD. Each would change the font, layout of info boxes, and crosshair.

To expand this idea further, DE can also leave the complete sets as Platinum-only Market items, and release the individual HUD changes through Alerts. For instance, the Grineer Crosshair HUD, Grineer Weapon Systems HUD (to track weapon data in-game), Grineer Armor HUD (for energy, shields, health, and abilities), and Grineer Command HUD (which would change the pause screen to show information in a different manner).

Despite the fact that we saw evidence of dojos having laboratories for weapon research and whatnot, I prefer this instead.

It's actually where I got the idea. If expanded on, it could make a number of things more interesting, and this was one possibility I saw for doing so.

As an aside, this same system can be used to provide different screen layouts as research projects as well.

Several users have suggested changing the in-game screen layout in various ways; different placement of info boxes, different crosshair, and other changes. Introducing different faction-based "themes" for the player's in-game HUD, craftable through the Alert system, would go quite a way toward allowing for customization to a player's taste.

As an example, let's say in addition to the normal "Tenno" theme for in-game HUD, DE could then release the Grinner HUD, Corpus HUD, Infested HUD, and the Orokin Prime HUD. Each would change the font, layout of info boxes, and crosshair.

To expand this idea further, DE can also leave the complete sets as Platinum-only Market items, and release the individual HUD changes through Alerts. For instance, the Grineer Crosshair HUD, Grineer Weapon Systems HUD (to track weapon data in-game), Grineer Armor HUD (for energy, shields, health, and abilities), and Grineer Command HUD (which would change the pause screen to show information in a different manner).

Good idea but HUD expansions require huge efforts and players may not want it because its kinda client sided only.

Good idea but HUD expansions require huge efforts and players may not want it because its kinda client sided only.

Perhaps - but then, I see plenty of people who bought the cosmetic packs for Sentinels.

Additional idea I had as I was studying astronomy:

This same system can be used for more than just making stuff - it can also be used to unlock certain areas, or even create connections between regions in-game, allowing for easier travel. It could also be used to make camera beams visible.

Its not a bad idea it might be kinda bad  for casual players if some things cost to much points.

LOOK AROUND YOU, this game is for casual players. Alerts are designed for lazy people, who only log in when they see a alert on twitter, rush it and get the BP. This is perfect for those who, first off grind, the ones who actually play the game not play the twitter game, AND it is hard earned not 3 minute derp rushed runs. This is actually satisfying, not like alerts that randomly fall from the sky. 

LOOK AROUND YOU, this game is for casual players. Alerts are designed for lazy people, who only log in when they see a alert on twitter, rush it and get the BP. This is perfect for those who, first off grind, the ones who actually play the game not play the twitter game, AND it is hard earned not 3 minute derp rushed runs. This is actually satisfying, not like alerts that randomly fall from the sky.

No need for vehemence man, Regicidaal's issue was already addressed.

The alert system would be fine if it wasn't timed for actual items. Like the one day they gave you a couple of days to do one of the alerts to get your item.

It's the alert only lasting for like 50m that makes it hard for folks to work.

What I'd to see is the ability to save an alert. 

Like bookmarking it so you can do it later when you get home.

The alert system would be fine if it wasn't timed for actual items. Like the one day they gave you a couple of days to do one of the alerts to get your item.

It's the alert only lasting for like 50m that makes it hard for folks to work.

What I'd to see is the ability to save an alert. 

Like bookmarking it so you can do it later when you get home.

That idea also went into the formation of my idea in the OP. With this system in place, the only randomness from the Alert system would be getting a string of +2000 credit Alert missions, instead of the juicier 10,000 ones.

I am sure it would give DE a huge income boost.

But are you guys sure you wanna more "watch the bar to fill" action?

Isn't watching foundry time not enought?

It is a lame system for lame Browser games, not for a run and gun like Warframe.

Have to veto with all my might :)

I am sure it would give DE a huge income boost.

Isn't watching foundry time not enought?

It is a lame system for lame Browser games, not for a run and gun like Warframe.

Have to veto with all my might :)

Fair enough - if this idea doesn't appeal to you, I am willing to hear your idea regarding fixing the RNG nature of the Alerts in regards to people's real-life schedules for playing the game.

I don't deny that even this has it's flaws, but a system like this has to remain in place as long as the game remains F2P. The bottom line is that randomness does not make for a fun game, and what the OP proposed is far less random than the current alert system.

Fair enough - if this idea doesn't appeal to you, I am willing to hear your idea regarding fixing the RNG nature of the Alerts in regards to people's real-life schedules for playing the game.

I do not have a solution for that.

I think everything has 2 sides. Watching one side too much is not good.

Your research system would indeed solve that problem

but it will break the action / timing / comunity fun part of the alerts.

I just stated a fact and it is the other side of your system :)

Alerts do have a good side. People tent to forget em.

I do not have a solution for that.

I think everything has 2 sides. Watching one side too much is not good.

Your research system would indeed solve that problem

but it will break the action / timing / comunity fun part of the alerts.

I just stated a fact and it is the other side of your system :)

Alerts do have a good side. People tent to forget em.

All of that is true. It would take away from the excitement of posting about a rare item Alert. On the other hand, other people simply cannot play during those times. As you said - there are tradeoffs with any system.

Just giving out another idea, it wouldn't fix the RNG nature, but would help with real life schedules... Maybe...

What if the alert rewards were random (per squad/person)? One could, in a sense, then farm them in there own time.

It could also be taken a step further by allowing you to unlock it again, for a large sum of credits or a small amount of platinum. Giving people credit sinks or revenue for DE. Maybe increasing in cost each time you want to run the same alert (or adding a limit to how many extra times you can run the alert), to prevent to much abuse.

Going even further...

Alert rewards could also contain resource bundles (eg. 5-10+ Neural sensors/Galium, 200+ Alloy Plate/Rubedo). And/or other desirable items.

This could also open up a way of obtaining something akin to legendary mods, which would otherwise have very low drop rates. These would combine the effects of certain mods(eg. Tempest - Frost + Shock damage)... I can dream right???

As an after thought, I guess this would turn alerts into a gambling system of sorts. Similar to the trader in Diablo 2, but only open for short windows.

Just giving out another idea, it wouldn't fix the RNG nature, but would help with real life schedules... Maybe...

What if the alert rewards were random (per squad/person)? One could, in a sense, then farm them in there own time.

It could also be taken a step further by allowing you to unlock it again, for a large sum of credits or a small amount of platinum. Giving people credit sinks or revenue for DE. Maybe increasing in cost each time you want to run the same alert (or adding a limit to how many extra times you can run the alert), to prevent to much abuse.

Depending on the item, I'd say you have to move up a player rank before making any particular item again, just for the sake of fairness.

Going even further...

Alert rewards could also contain resource bundles (eg. 5-10+ Neural sensors/Galium, 200+ Alloy Plate/Rubedo). And/or other desirable items.

This could also open up a way of obtaining something akin to legendary mods, which would otherwise have very low drop rates. These would combine the effects of certain mods(eg. Tempest - Frost + Shock damage)... I can dream right???

That would work, certainly. As for Legendary Mods... well, we can only hope.

As an after thought, I guess this would turn alerts into a gambling system of sorts. Similar to the trader in Diablo 2, but only open for short windows.

A certain amount of randomness can be a good thing, true - but not when it's the entire basis and the only way you can get rare items. For this reason, I still think this research-based system would solve the most issues with the fewest amount of changes, while opening up possibilities of improvement and expansion later. Edited by rhoenix

This is a neat idea, and would give a reason to play the 2000 credit alert missions (which also means unlocking as many areas as possible). Another idea towards this would be alert missions giving off more points than normal (like a mission popping up with an extra 100 point rewards towards weapon research).

This is a neat idea, and would give a reason to play the 2000 credit alert missions (which also means unlocking as many areas as possible). Another idea towards this would be alert missions giving off more points than normal (like a mission popping up with an extra 100 point rewards towards weapon research).

That was one of my thoughts going into designing this system, was finding a reason to encourage people to do low-end Alerts more. Glad to hear your thoughts on this - if you have other ideas, I'd like to hear them.

I like this idea, the only thing I'm not sure about are the catalysts/reactors. You link it to character mastery, which is a pain to level up. I do very much dislike the idea of only getting more catalysts if I rank up 20 weapons just to get access to one more catalyst for that one weapon.

I understand that you wanted to make sure you dont create a dip in income for DE, but what I'm doing right now is to just wait for the proper alert to pop. It doesn't take up a lot of my time and it doesnt require me to buy, level and sell weapons I dont like. I dont like the idea of doing lowby missions because my low level guns cant quite take the high level areas, instead of doing missions on pluto or something.

If mastery is this important for progression, I feel like you should be able to train mastery with weapon and warframe exp (which is already implemented), not their level ups. That way you will slowly increase your mastery even after your respective weapons and warframe have hit 30.

I like this idea, the only thing I'm not sure about are the catalysts/reactors. You link it to character mastery, which is a pain to level up. I do very much dislike the idea of only getting more catalysts if I rank up 20 weapons just to get access to one more catalyst for that one weapon.

I understand that you wanted to make sure you dont create a dip in income for DE, but what I'm doing right now is to just wait for the proper alert to pop. It doesn't take up a lot of my time and it doesnt require me to buy, level and sell weapons I dont like. I dont like the idea of doing lowby missions because my low level guns cant quite take the high level areas, instead of doing missions on pluto or something.

If mastery is this important for progression, I feel like you should be able to train mastery with weapon and warframe exp (which is already implemented), not their level ups. That way you will slowly increase your mastery even after your respective weapons and warframe have hit 30.

That's a fair point, and a good argument for leaving Orokin catalysts & reactors as part of the Alert system as-is, instead of rolling it into the Research system. Nicely argued.