Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tonkor: Make It Explode Against Shields

Holeypaladin

Whenever I fire a tonkor grenade at an eximus frost shield or a nullifier shield, it deals damage to the shield but doesn't explode.

That really limits the usefulness of the weapon against a lot of enemy types.  Why not have it explode whenever it deals the puncture damage, no matter what it's hitting?  It would make a lot more sense that way, and be much more useful.

it's still a fun weapon, but the slow fire rate, grenade arc, and shield problem make it difficult to use at times.

Carry a HROF secondary and melee weapon as backup.

Seemed to work for me on t4 surv lastnight. Soften them up then blast them. Let teammates whittle down the shields first. 

Vor causes same effect if you should him too.

It explodes on contact with shield lancers, Noble.

(maybe I am hitting them in the head, Tonkor artillery arcs are easy fer me lol)

Edited by (XB1)LordPuck

Carry a HROF secondary and melee weapon as backup.

Seemed to work for me on t4 surv lastnight. Soften them up then blast them. Let teammates whittle down the shields first. 

Vor causes same effect if you should him too.

It explodes on contact with shield lancers, Noble.

(maybe I am hitting them in the head, Tonkor artillery arcs are easy fer me lol)

actually it explodes on impact if you land a shot on his gut, but can be a bit hard seeing as how hes all over the place and doesnt stay the f still

actually it explodes on impact if you land a shot on his gut, but can be a bit hard seeing as how hes all over the place and doesnt stay the f still

That was sitting still, no blast, just blue 0000000s :( If he moved I got Nullifier damage of around 500 per hit.

I was shooting Vors gut.

Edited by (XB1)LordPuck

That was sitting still, no blast, just blue 0000000s :( If he moved I got Nullifier damage of around 500 per hit.

I was shooting Vors gut.

if your getting 000000000s that just means the nades aren't hitting his weak spot. I've downed vor solo in a t4s with the tonkor and tonkor alone, you just have to get up close and personal with the old dude or else the travel time and trajectory of the nade will just hit an invulnerable part of his body

Because god forbid it have any remote downsides or any enemies it can't handle without some finesse, right?

Most weapons have zero downsides.  Tonkor has four huge ones (shot arcs, slow rate of fire, small magazine, flight speed).  That's already more than enough downsides to justify letting it blow up against shields.  It's still a difficult weapon to use well, have to carefully aim your shots and keep track of ammo.

Edited by Holeypaladin

not many weapons are as OP as the tonkor

jus sayn

Every top tier assault rifle (Boltor prime, soma prime, prisma grakata against high level grineer, etc) is extremely easy to use, has zero downsides, and absolutely annihilates nullifiers and shield eximus units.

Just because Tonkor is the first top tier explosive weapon to be introduced doesn't mean it should have so many crippling downsides when the top tier assault rifles have none.  I don't mind any of the other downsides, just want it to explode against shields.

if your getting 000000000s that just means the nades aren't hitting his weak spot. I've downed vor solo in a t4s with the tonkor and tonkor alone, you just have to get up close and personal with the old dude or else the travel time and trajectory of the nade will just hit an invulnerable part of his body

I think you need to see some of my Tonkor videos before you say I cant aim with it lol

Btw, Im disagreeing with Op, not agreeing.

Edited by (XB1)LordPuck

I think you need to see some of my Tonkor videos before you say I cant aim with it lol

Btw, Im disagreeing with Op, not agreeing.

I'm not doubting you or calling you out on your short comings =)

I'm just stating if your seeings 0's that means your nades are not hitting his weak spot, which for a launcher type weapon with a trajectory and accuracy loss, can be difficult to land especially when your fighting some dude thats notorious for blinking all over the damn place. And once again I stand by my statement that I've killed Vor with the tonkor and the tonkor alone by getting up in his face and shooting at his gut, it just takes a while since said nades tend to miss or bounce of an invulnerable part of his body. 

Edited by JohnnyDanger

I'm not doubting you or calling you out on your short comings =)

I'm just stating if your seeings 0's that means your nades are not hitting his weak spot, which for a launcher type weapon with a trajectory and accuracy loss, can be difficult to land especially when your fighting some dude thats notorious for blinking all over the damn place. And once again I stand by my statement that I've killed Vor with the tonkor and the tonkor alone by getting up in his face and shooting at his gut, it just takes a while since said nades tend to miss or bounce of an invulnerable part of his body. 

You missed my point.

Ill agree to disagree with you.

I think the point of the shields is to force you to change tactics.  Explosives not cheesing shields is likely working as intended.

The best anti-shield tactic is basically "Shoot it with weapons until it goes down"

By not being able to shoot it with weapons til it goes down, it essentially nullifies the best anti-shield tactic in the game.

The best anti-shield tactic is basically "Shoot it with weapons until it goes down"

By not being able to shoot it with weapons til it goes down, it essentially nullifies the best anti-shield tactic in the game.

The shields are tuned to a much lower standard of weapon damage compared to most of the popular OP weapons.  That's the only reason it's considered the best tactic; it's so easy to shoot down the shield that it doesn't matter that it's even there in the first place.  I never shoot the shields, myself; I just melee them.  

The shields are tuned to a much lower standard of weapon damage compared to most of the popular OP weapons.  That's the only reason it's considered the best tactic; it's so easy to shoot down the shield that it doesn't matter that it's even there in the first place.  I never shoot the shields, myself; I just melee them.  

The nullifier shield in particular is tuned to automatic weapons fire.  Shoot it with a high damage single shot weapon like a bow and you can't take it down.

The game is currently so focused on automatic assault rifles that it's very difficult to use any other weapon type effectively.  Sure, explosions are nice, but most explosions will kill you, and those that don't are either very short range (quanta) or difficult to aim, hit your target, and only explode on impact with an enemy or long delay fuse (tonkor).

Despite it's shortcomings, it's still a very fun weapon... but it should still detonate on impact with a shield.

Trying to melee the nullifiers is a pretty terrible idea if your frame uses any sort of duration-based buffs, as entering the shield's AOE removes all of your buffs.

Edited by Holeypaladin

The nullifier shield in particular is tuned to automatic weapons fire.  Shoot it with a high damage single shot weapon like a bow and you can't take it down.

The game is currently so focused on automatic assault rifles that it's very difficult to use any other weapon type effectively.  Sure, explosions are nice, but most explosions will kill you, and those that don't are either very short range (quanta) or difficult to aim, hit your target, and only explode on impact with an enemy or long delay fuse (tonkor).

Despite it's shortcomings, it's still a very fun weapon... but it should still detonate on impact with a shield.

Trying to melee the nullifiers is a pretty terrible idea if your frame uses any sort of duration-based buffs, as entering the shield's AOE removes all of your buffs.

At least you can kill nullifiers through the shields if you hit enemies just outside it with a Tonkor grenade.  As for the uber assault rifles with no downsides, it's pretty obvious that nerfing them will result in a much more interesting game than buffing every non-assault rifle and removing downsides from every weapon.  

Edited by RealPandemonium