Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Speed In Parkour 2.0

PapaFragolino

My concerns/observations:

1) Definitely needs a bit more "speed" in the sprinting/regular movement when leaping to things.

2) Wallrunning should STILL be an option - how many of us loved the Tomb of the Sentients trailer when the Excal was jumping/scaling the walls all smoothly? Making it JUST that bunny hop to go up now is not the right way to go.

3) The bunny hop - it works for some situations when springing up short distances but THAT being the default wall scale animation is flat out not the way to go. We need the standard "running" along the wall animation in - there's nothing wrong with it except now we just can go in any direction while on the wall which IS awesome. 

4) Wall latch - loved it but the animation/distance from the wall is still kind of rough but very much like that we can perch/snipe/get out assassin's creed air drop attack on that way.

- I love you - 

I didn't wrote what I saw is perfect. Of course there is a need for some changes (increase of basic speed for every Warframe, more fluid and wide movements and so on), but certainly it's waay better than now. The raw material is good, and Devs are inclined to bring the game back to the old glory. 

Back in those days I used to see ninjas doing ninja things. Today all I can see are campers, lamers and crying babies. 

Edited by Latronico

I didn't wrote what I saw is perfect. Of course there is a need for some changes (increase of basic speed for every Warframe, more fluid and wide movements and so on), but certainly it's waay better than now. The raw material is good, and Devs are inclined to bring the game back to the old glory. 

Back in those days I used to see ninjas doing ninja things. Today all I can see are campers, lamers and crying babies. 

I'm not trying to defend coptering or directional melee, but I also feel like that what DE showed us today isn't good enough to justify the changes.

Geoff mentioned that it "feels like a new game", but to me it looks just like a slightly better version of what we have now, more like a Parkour 1.5 rather than a 2.0

What I saw on devstream reminds me of this video:

You're too young to remember when we actually were space ninjas, wallrunning all around and climbing everywhere, but I do. I do and I miss those days. 

Nowadays the only thing new players can do is rush pressing E and Ctrl. It's lame. 

Will parkour 2.0 be more slow? Maybe. But certainly it will be way cooler than it is now. This is a game, not a race and not a job, so enjoy it, learn to do cool things even if it takes time, even if it's not 'efficient' (I hate when people speak about how 'efficient' a way is to run a mission; that's ridiculous). 

Learn to be a space ninja. That's what you are, if you're a real Tenno.

Yeah being "a real tenno" doesn't mean going slow and personally I haven't coptered in quite some time, because I knew the change was coming.  I know what we saw was a work in progress, but to me it did in fact look terribly slow.

Also while it's cool that we can endlessly fly from wall to wall in a room, this doesn't help walking through the large Corpus hangar, or that cave with a river going through it, the Earth maps or many of the open air areas on Phobos.

With Stamina gone, I'd be happy if they increased sprint speed across the board for all warframes.  I mean if the pace felt good to everybody, then why would anyone want to copter in the first place?

From what I imagine a Ninja to be (I guess it means different things to different people), I associate them to have high agility and speed.  Parkour 2.0 is interesting, but it's just too slow looking in its current form.

There are plenty of people faster than me in this game, so I'm not saying this as a "rusher" or anything...  I just don't want to play slow.

EDIT: I really do hope they redesign the maps to have more "triple jumping" through vent shafts, etc.  Maybe then they could truly make use of these new wall jumping mechanics, but as I mentioned above, I don't really see how what was shown helps much in terms of moving from one spot in a large area to another spot quickly.

Edited by sushidubya

OK first of all Rebecca wasn't that good at it we have to remember that. Also Wall running is gone, they replaced it because inmission their isn't anywhere to run on the wall for a long time so they decided to add jumping to make it more ingame friendly.

Coptering is gone, Directional melee isn't leaving. :/ They confirmed this in twitter a while back...

Edited by Feallike

Holy crap. If what they showed today was the new parkour system, then I don't want it. It'll become a space bar mashing fest. It's become nothing like what they showed previously and they oversimplified it to just being able to jump from anywhere. It's utter S#&$. I wonder if it became too hard for them to implement what they had in mind in the first place. Couldn't they have simply gotten rid of the ridiculous fling from coptering and jumping off walls? That would have been enough. This new system would also make some spy missions ridiculously easy as well with no need for proper timing involved.

There's no reason to remove the wall running - while we may not often have huge expansive walls to run, there's plenty of use for it still and it is a fun mechanic IMO, especially w/o stamina to gate it. 

Going straight to this bunny hop only thing is not the right answer - I like the bunny hop for certain situations but wall running with the latching to pause/find good snipe spots and prep for a melee ambush is just so...Tenno!

The biggest problem I think they have with wall running AND wall hopping would be the controls. Maybe they could just remove the default control on the wall running mechanic and have us set it for ourselves, then we could create our own way of fluidly mixing the two maneuvers. Or they could ignore us and do something so amazing we cry tears of joy and happiness for years.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if every frame had +.2 added flat, maybe even more. Rush as a mod just annoys me.

Game can be a bit slower as long as there is reward for not rushing through mission. Getting quality resources and rewards, and running around so you can get 200 more Alloy Plates.

But i know this is only my wishful thinking.

Rage games will begin once U17 is released

The biggest problem I think they have with wall running AND wall hopping would be the controls. Maybe they could just remove the default control on the wall running mechanic and have us set it for ourselves, then we could create our own way of fluidly mixing the two maneuvers. Or they could ignore us and do something so amazing we cry tears of joy and happiness for years.

Like they did with adding automatic vaulting over waist high obstacles when we jump near them? Holy S#&$ was I glad to find out they gave us the option to turn that S#&$ off.

Edited by SicSlaver

Well wall jumping is going to be 500% more useful than wall running because it won't get stuck on stupidly built textures like wall running does now. I think what people are having a problem with are the visuals. it doesn't look fast or realistic, I think honestly it is just as fast as wall running but not as cool looking tricking us into thinking it is slower.

Hopefully on launch they will update its animations to be more impressive.

snip

It's a big open area. Parkour will be non-existent. Parkour requires walls & surfaces. If you don't have those things, then you won't have parkour. This goes for any game with parkour aspects. This is normal real world logic. You can't parkour in a desert if there's nothing to parkour on. There's no fixing that. 

But yes, a boost in sprint speed would be nice. 

Game can be a bit slower as long as there is reward for not rushing through mission. Getting quality resources and rewards, and running around so you can get 200 more Alloy Plates.

Remember when they wanted to introduce the void trader to help quality of life and save us from bad rng? Well, nope. Instead they introduced more stuff for us to grind for and more power creepage!

It's a big open area. Parkour will be non-existent. Parkour requires walls & surfaces. If you don't have those things, then you won't have parkour. This goes for any game with parkour aspects. This is normal real world logic. You can't parkour in a desert if there's nothing to parkour on. There's no fixing that. 

But yes, a boost in sprint speed would be nice. 

Well, there will be enemies to parkour off of... >.>

In the previous devstream when they talked about their wall lunging they discussed momentum gains based on how many successive leaps you've done, I didn't see much of that in the stream, but that may have been because they were using wall holds a ton too. I'm hoping they keep the idea with successively increasing momentum because then we could in theory build up a lot of speed from wall jumps and enemy tackles. 

What I saw on devstream reminds me of this video:

You're too young to remember when we actually were space ninjas, wallrunning all around and climbing everywhere, but I do. I do and I miss those days. 

Nowadays the only thing new players can do is rush pressing E and Ctrl. It's lame. 

Will parkour 2.0 be more slow? Maybe. But certainly it will be way cooler than it is now. This is a game, not a race and not a job, so enjoy it, learn to do cool things even if it takes time, even if it's not 'efficient' (I hate when people speak about how 'efficient' a way is to run a mission; that's ridiculous). 

Learn to be a space ninja. That's what you are, if you're a real Tenno.

Wanted to write something similiar but I am glad you did it before, with such a beautiful words! 

This our game folks! This is Warframe, game about space ninjas! We are not rushers, we don't have those amazing tilesets to just copter all around them. We ought to discover them and learn how to freestyle around the maps just like in that video. 

Parkour 2.0 will uterly change the game, if what they showed today on the stream will ever be released and even more polished I am bought. This is it guys! This is it! 

There's tons of hidden places and most of the time they have literally nothing in it, they should put good rewards in those tilesets for who wants to go slower, but when the progress system is heavily based on farming we should also be able to just rush through missions.

Well, there will be enemies to parkour off of... >.>

In the previous devstream when they talked about their wall lunging they discussed momentum gains based on how many successive leaps you've done, I didn't see much of that in the stream, but that may have been because they were using wall holds a ton too. I'm hoping they keep the idea with successively increasing momentum because then we could in theory build up a lot of speed from wall jumps and enemy tackles. 

That's true, but hopping off enemies doesn't take you very far. Like, at all. 

Now that you mention, I don't recall seeing much of that either. The fact that she could be stopping the gain because of using the wall cling is a likely cause, if it's still there. I hope they decide to include the momentum boost in the final version because a lot of people are concerned with speed, including myself. 

That's true, but hopping off enemies doesn't take you very far. Like, at all. 

Now that you mention, I don't recall seeing much of that either. The fact that she could be stopping the gain because of using the wall cling is a likely cause, if it's still there. I hope they decide to include the momentum boost in the final version because a lot of people are concerned with speed, including myself. 

Yeah, I do recall once or twice in the stream where she got some pretty hefty distance off of what would normally be a small jump it seemed after a few rebounds.

I just remember the short scenes they showed last devstream or the one before ( I don't recall) where excal was really booking it forward off of crowd-surfing that grineer:

vpnKmBS.gif

And the original wall hopping image showed a massive progressive increase in distance traveled  off of successive wall hops, so I really hope that's still in there.  What I wouldn't give to be able to test and try some of this stuff, even in it's suuuper early test state.

Personally, I hope they keep a bit of the directional wall running, but also give us the progressive momentum leaps -and- the wall clings. 

Edited by Gelkor

Is so fundamental to be able to rush an open map? I mean, what about... just run? Coptering hasn't been a thing for really a lot of time and no one ever complained about how 'slow' the game was. Maybe because it was meant to be this way.

People got used to coperting too much. You should realize that the game never ment to be played that way. Enjoy parkour, ask for fixes, give feedbacks, ask for more speed if you want, but don't even think about coptering anymore or 'how fast we used to go'. It was wrong since its beginning. 

I think it's a fine idea.

I also believe we will be seeing quite a few Market additions to go with this new change.  Walkers, for one. 

"The Tenno are becoming old and need help with mobility.  The Market provides with these new Walkers, Walker skins, and, for a limited time, these Prime Strollers, Wheelchairs and Electric Scooters!"

In all, I think Turtlehopping is better for the game than Parkour ever was.