The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Companion Concept] Sasp (Nasasp 2.0) - Reptilian Pet; Art By: Artarrwen (Very Wip) (Update: 7/13/2015)

Morec0

We have Cat companions incoming, so the first iteration of these creatures (read about it here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/411991-companion-concept-nasasp-felineserpentine-pet-art-by-artarrwen-updated-5292015-closed-for-renovation/ ) is no longer required. We won, we have cats... So let's move onto the NEXT best thing: reptiles and snakes!

Mostly I'll be maintaining the same abilities, but even that's up to change. I'm considering fully embracing the stealthy aspect these guys are supposed to represent, but that's up in the wind. Hell, even the NAME may change (and as of 7/13/2015, it has). The art is also still very much a WIP (and may remain WIP), and feedback from ya'll on what direction it should go in would be greatly appreciated. So... Here it is:

The idea started off kinda vague. I wanted something that really stood out from the Kubrows and "Catbrows", and so decided early on a bipedal creature (while still wanting to maintain the whip-like tail I feel best characterizes the original idea). The ever-talented Artarrwen came up with these:

rLkp3Ic.png

After brief discussion the second was elaborated on further:

N5lvuiB.png

And after some input from me a final silhouette was created:

BexiGwY.jpg

Again this is ALL very much in the air. Your feedback for ANY of these at ANY stage is VERY much wanted to help figure out what the Community would most want to see.

The lore behind them is mostly unchanged, but the location has been reconsidered due to reasons of logic:

Sasp -

Over the centuries, countless species have been discovered and further evolved throughout the Origin System.  Others still were displaced or even created by those with the ability to tamper with what nature originally made.  The Sasp are in the former category, creatures discovered, but as the Great Collapse resulted in the loss of so many scientific records of Origin only the most modern information is known about them.

Native to the dwarf-planet of Ceres (where they primarily feed on the local Hunhow), this serpentine species has managed to survive despite rapid and unhindered Grineer industrialization of the planet, adapting to the changes brought about by the planet's owners.

Resistance to the toxic and blistering runoff of Grineer manufacturing has also resulted in the development of venomous fangs filled a powerful nerve agent and unparalleled thermoregulation; the need to move through the hanging tubes resulted in the evolution of a prehensile tail with surprising strength as well as bipedal movement; and in order to combat the Grineer that hunt them as well as capture prey they possess claws capable of piercing through even Alloy Plate.

The Tenno have begun to look at the Sasp species and see a powerful new weapon for restoring the balance.

So, basically, think of these guys as anti-Kubrows: rather than taking the evolved animal and reverting it back to its more domestic roots you are taking the evolved animal and further cultivating its evolutionary traits to make it a powerful war weapon. The Sasp brings to bear special abilities unique to their breed to aid their Tenno masters.

Obtaining:

Acquisition of a Sasp is similar to getting a Kubrow. The Sasp have Sasp Nests that will be added to the terrain of Ceres (similar to how Kubrow Dens were added to the Earth tileset) and players must seek them out to gain access to them. But here's the catch: rather than destroy the Nests, the players loot them as they would Lockers or bodies in Invasion missions. Doing so is how you have a chance to acquire an egg.

The catch here is that one must approach the nest without being seen by its owner(s). Only one or two Sasp will be guarding a burrow at any time, but if it/either of them spots you while you're close to the burrow they spawned from they will immediately attack you to drive you off. Being spotted also dramatically decreases the chances you have to getting an egg to drop, so approach with stealth in mind for the highest percentage of getting what you desire.

Sasp Nest Description: Sasp nests are tight dens that are built within the confines of the pipes and close-built infrastructure of the Grineer citycape. Inconspicuous to some, obvious to others, they peak out from cracks in the walls, storing their eggs and items that catch their fancy within them.

Customization:

Like Kubrows, players will be able to alter the appearance of their Sasp by purchasing certain Gene-Masking kits. While some may be unique to the Sasp (and vice-versa for the Kubrow) the hope would be to allow for cosmetics purchased for Kubrows/Sasp to also be available to the other.

Of course, given the differences in body style and the desire to see said patterns on a Kubrow or Sasp BEFORE purchasing it, it may very well be they'd have to be purchased as separate things. However, the principles of color and pattern customization would remain the same.

Abilities:

The abilities of the Sasp, like those of the Kubrow and the Sentinels, vary based on what Breed of Sasp you are able to raise; however, all Sasp share common themes in their attacking and movement that give them somewhat greater versatility than Kubrows.

Attacking - Sasp have two distinct types of attacks - their regular fang and claws attacks, with they they tear and shred enemies within melee range for Slash damage with a chance to deal bonus Toxic damage, and a medium-ranged tail-lash attack that deals Impact damage which they can use to strike flying units. However, it should be noted that the Sasp is a more defense-oriented creature than the Kubrow by nature, and will not directly attack until their Tenno master is attacked or opens fire on hostiles themselves - so they wont go barreling ahead of you into a fight.

Movement - Sasp also have a unique movement ability that sets them apart from their canine counterpart. Using their unreasonably-strong talons, the Sasp is capable of not only scaling a variety of surfaces but holding onto them as well; this allows the Sasp a wide variety of new angles from which to attack or use their abilities from. If they are hanging onto a wall or other surface when they put into a Bleedout state, however, they WILL fall to the ground slightly away from the wall - allowing for quick and easy pickup by their Tenno masters.

Sheut:

The Sheut breed is cultivates the Sasp's evolutionary camouflage into something far exceeding mere natural ability. Sheuts act as ghosts by their master's side, making the way safe through non-lethal methods.

Stalk - The Sasp cloaks itself and its master.

Sap - The Sasp strikes at a target with it's whip-like tail, stunning them and rending all of their senses useless for a duration.
Details: Neither the target nor any of their allies will be alerted by this move if they were un-alerted at the time it was used; this ability doesn't break stealth.

(Alternate Ability 1) Abduct - The Sasp wraps its tail around the neck of its prey, preventing them from acting and dragging them wherever the Sasp travels.
Details: The target will be unable to attack or alert other enemies as long as this effect persists. Any melee attack done against the target will be counted as a finisher; this ability doesn't break stealth.

(Alternate Ability 2) Intoxicate - The Sasp bites a melee-range enemy, detail minor Toxin damage and injecting a poison that causes them to attack their allies for a short duration.
Details: Basically applies the radiation debuff, but with poison; this ability doesn't break stealth

Sheut is an Egyptian word meaning "shadow".

Sekhem

Sekhem's are bred to provide incredible offensive assistance to their Tenno master. The Sekhem's natural venom has been enhanced and it is able to utilize the massive amounts of heat its body generates for combat purposes.

Bite - The Sasp bites at a target with its envenomed fangs, dealing bonus damage and poisoning them.

Sear - The Sasp heats its own body and barrels into a target, knocking them over and setting them on fire.
Details: This ability persists for a few seconds and the Sekhem will charge multiple targets while it is.

(Alternate Ability 1): Thrash - The Sasp smashes their tail into an enemy, dealing damage and knocking them away.
Details: Enemies can and may be knocked off cliffs to their deaths.

(Alternate Ability 2): Ground - The Sasp grabs an airborne enemy with its tail and slams it into the ground, dealing damage and preventing it from taking flight again.
Details: Works on Ospreys, Regulators, and Orokin Drones in the same way that the Loki's Radial Disarm does but only for a singular target at a time.

Sekhem is an Egyptian word meaning "power or might" and is also the source of the goddess Sekhmet's name.

Gahiji:

Bred to further increase the natural strength in their prehensile, snake-like tails, the Gahiji are meant to weaken and restrain targets for quick and easy elimination or put down weakened enemies themselves.

Execute - The Sasp strikes a weakened or knocked-downed enemy with their whip-like tail/sinks their envenomed fangs into their prey  for bonus damage.

Restrain - The Sasp wraps a target in their tail and lifts them into the air, immobilizing them and dealing very minor damage for a duration.
Details: Some enemies (bosses) are immune to this effect, and the Gahiji cannot perform any other actions while using this ability; the Gahiji will cancel this ability to use Execute should the first ability become available.

(Alternate Ability 1) Expose - The Sasp strikes a target with its tail, removing half of the target's total shields on that target and causing them to take extra damage from all sources for a short duration.
Details: Against bosses the shields will only be removed by 25%.

(Alternate Ability 2) Disable - The Sasp strikes a target's weapon out of their hands, disarming them.
Details: Works the same way that the Loki's Radial Disarm does but only for a singular target at a time.

Gahiji is an Egyptian name meaning "hunter".

Ka:

Their natural survival traits harnessed through Void technology, the Ka breed is meant and able to protect their master and keep them in the fight. They are invaluable to those who prefer more frontal assault-tactics.

Regenerate - When the Sasp's master is badly injured the Sasp will provide a boost to their health regeneration.
Details: This health regeneration occurs even through combat.

Innervate - The Sasp transfers a portion of their own energy to their master when their energy is low.

(Alternate Ability 1)Intervene - If the Sasp's master is badly injured while the Sasp is within range it will grab the player character with their tail and pull it behind them, using its own body as a shield to block bullets for a few seconds.
Details: The Ka will automatically position itself between the player and as many enemies as possible.

(Alternate Ability 2): Sacrifice - If the Sasp's master is knocked into a bleedout state the Sasp will rush to their aid and sacrifice itself to revive them with half-health and shields. The Sasp will be put into bleedout themselves and can be revived.
Details: In solo play, if the player would be killed they are put into bleedout instead, allowing the Ka to use this ability.

"Ka" is an Egyptian word relating to the "vital spark" of the human spirit; basically what separates a living person from a dead one.

Modding:

Aside from their own breed-specific abilities, the Sasp share mods with the Kubrows - the mods being renamed to "Companion" mods.

Thoughts? Feedback is always welcome. I'll be looking to update and improve on this for a while and would love to hear input from everyone to help with making this something we'll ALL want to see in-game.
Edited by Morec0

I need this.

Looks very nice

Glad ya'll approve. As I said this is still VERY MUCH a Work-In-Progress renovation, and detailed feedback and suggestions to help it continue to develop into its own thing would be very much appreciated.

GIVE THEM TO ME NOW.

Reptiles have been my favorite grade of animal for as long as I can remember. This is in my opinion better than the Hunhow and that's primarily because of favoritism towards reptiles over birds. The Hunhow is a good concept and I would definitely use them commonly, but I can say right here that reptiles would be my most used.

I support this idea 100%. Truth be told, I wasn't exactly hyped when Catbrows were revealed. Not super hyped, but I can tell you that they will most likely be fodder to me.

[size=6]GIVE ME MY REPTILES NOW.[/size]

Oooh, this looks very nice, I would love to have any of these. Though I must say, the bipedal komodo dragon look of the fourth concept is very appealing as well.

Truth be told that WAS the original idea I had in mind, but then talk of velociraptors came up and... well they've been a favorite of mine since childhood, so the vision shifted a little.

GIVE THEM TO ME NOW.

Reptiles have been my favorite grade of animal for as long as I can remember. This is in my opinion better than the Hunhow and that's primarily because of favoritism towards reptiles over birds. The Hunhow is a good concept and I would definitely use them commonly, but I can say right here that reptiles would be my most used.

I support this idea 100%. Truth be told, I wasn't exactly hyped when Catbrows were revealed. Not super hyped, but I can tell you that they will most likely be fodder to me.

GIVE ME MY REPTILES NOW.

I'm a cat-lover through and through, always have been always will be, and I'm SUPER stoked for catbrows when the come... but I will say I am still slightly miffed that my father was never able to find me a hog-nosed snake for me to have as a pet.

I'm still looking forward to a bigcat catbrow subclass but until then this is pretty awesome as well, I'm liking the raptor look. This is for those that want a raptor frame at the least you get a raptor companion and if you get a raptor frame now youve got a pair of in-game raptors and if DE ever makes companion spectres you can make a pack with 3 raptors

I'm still looking forward to a bigcat catbrow subclass but until then this is pretty awesome as well, I'm liking the raptor look. This is for those that want a raptor frame at the least you get a raptor companion and if you get a raptor frame now youve got a pair of in-game raptors and if DE ever makes companion spectres you can make a pack with 3 raptors

Raptorframe, now? I've never seen such a suggestion but it would be AWESOME.

Oh man. As much as I love my Kubrows, I'd switch to one of these in a heartbeat. I've got a soft spot for all sorts of reptilian critters, and having these be bipedal (and presumably quite large) just makes the idea even better.

The abilities sound good, and the look is even better. I really can't think of anything more to say, so I'll just repeat myself and tell you I am very much interested.

Oh man. As much as I love my Kubrows, I'd switch to one of these in a heartbeat. I've got a soft spot for all sorts of reptilian critters, and having these be bipedal (and presumably quite large) just makes the idea even better.

The abilities sound good, and the look is even better. I really can't think of anything more to say, so I'll just repeat myself and tell you I am very much interested.

Honestly, the size of these things IS something of an issue that did hit me a while back. They'd need to fit under the same constrains as the Kubrows and "Catbrows", so I'm worried the shown working silhouette MAY be too bulky.

I'm looking back at the fourth of the first set and considering that as an option (albeit with tweaks) - with a body that is mostly a tail that can be curled up, it seems like it would be more able to fit in the Genetic Foundry.

Honestly, the size of these things IS something of an issue that did hit me a while back. They'd need to fit under the same constrains as the Kubrows and "Catbrows"

Well, that's true. I guess having the Sasp too big really wouldn't work out currently. However, and this is just food for thought, hasn't DE mentioned something about upgrades to the Genetic Foundry (or is my memory acting up)? Those could potentially increase size and/or shape of the Foundry. If that hasn't been mentioned at all by them, then maybe I can suggest that as a possible solution?

Or, like you said, curling up might work well enough. Idk.

Well, that's true. I guess having the Sasp too big really wouldn't work out currently. However, and this is just food for thought, hasn't DE mentioned something about upgrades to the Genetic Foundry (or is my memory acting up)? Those could potentially increase size and/or shape of the Foundry. If that hasn't been mentioned at all by them, then maybe I can suggest that as a possible solution?

Or, like you said, curling up might work well enough. Idk.

Aye, there is as supposed Orbiter overhaul in the works. That MIGHT allow for an increase in the size of the G. Found., but it also might turn the G. Found. into a kennel with a slow-drip water tube being all that provides nourishment for your Kubrow while the "Catbrow" gets a nice chair on top of it to laugh at it from.

DE's constantly evolving the game, constantly looking to upgrade things, and while the G. Found. is certainly going to be one of those things, there's no telling WHEN such a thing would come through or even if. As such, I choose not to make concepts that rely on things that aren't immediately in-game.

If such a thing comes in the next-or-near update, though, I will certainly take a step back and further review the whole matter (and I'll do the same whenever it DOES come out, just as I reconsidered these guys when the "Catbrows" were first announced), but I like to approach my concepts from "would this fit in how the game as it is now"? And I apologize if this comment came off as somewhat antagonistic, it was not my intention for it to do so.