Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shouldn't Pre-Corpus Valkyr Be "healed" Valkyr?

Kasseopea

Yeah, lots of words. Hey, how about the Warframe wiki?

"According to the Official Tenno Alphabet Cipher, the design on Excalibur's right shoulder is in fact a word that spells out "Hayden Tenno". The same word can be found on top of Excalibur's head." - Yeah, i dont see any connection to Hayden Tenno either. Must be a f-ing coinsidence.

Besides, the technocyte virus IS the same - Hayden's arm is more durable and Nemesis is bulletproof. Im not sure you even played the game. Besides, if technocyte wasnt soft, Warframes couldnt move, so there you go.

And glaive being different - yeah, right, because they look totally different. Glaive prime looks differnt, but normal glaive and Dark Sector glaive look almost the same aside from tiny differences.

As alredy said - i simply think that they want to keep up the mistery about the Tenno, because if Dark Sector would be admitted to be the prequel, it would mean that Tenno are human (as well as the Orokin. The wiki even states "The Tenno are descendants of an ancient and mystical civilization of lost warriors from the Orokin era on Earth")

Has something of a streetmagician having cards falling out of his sleeve but nevertheless trying to perform the trick and make a card "show up" out of "nowhere" - same here, one day it will be "OMG, OROKIN ARE HUMAN" and people who played Dark Sector and read the WHOLE lore will be sitting there like "...oh...wow...yeah, totally didn't see that coming, yawn"

ever heard of the term "easter egg" in games?

Why is there again the old argument that Dark Sector is a solid prequel to Warframe? What bearing does it have on the topic from the OP at all, I can not see any relevance whatsoever.

The arguments allso that Valkyr should be completely different with this new skin make no sense to me.

If I recall, Lotus reacted to finding Valkyr like she did when finding Mirages Void-imprint. Surprise and amazement at finding something she though lost forever.

Valkyr is damaged. But her skills are what they are. She is Weapon X. Corpus tried to make a Tenno puppet with restraints and implants. It made her viscious and feral, full of anger.

If one thing should change it is Hysteria. She changed into a ball of rage and fury at what had been done.

If the reasons for that is removed and she is restored, all damage removed all systems normal, then I see her anger cooling down.

Remove the rage - enter controlled fury. Like Hulk and Wolverine on a bad day, she WILLS her change, fury no longer owns her.

She is the Master of Melee now and she unlwashes it on all her enemies in the name of Justice and Balance.

If DE changed her sounds and vfx, that would go a long way.

The Prime, Steve said it will be interesting to do, but her Lore and story have to be completely differently when they do.

"According to the Official Tenno Alphabet Cipher, the design on Excalibur's right shoulder is in fact a word that spells out "Hayden Tenno". The same word can be found on top of Excalibur's head." - Yeah, i dont see any connection to Hayden Tenno either. Must be a f-ing coinsidence.

Besides, the technocyte virus IS the same - Hayden's arm is more durable and Nemesis is bulletproof. Im not sure you even played the game. If technocyte wasnt soft, Warframes couldnt move, so there you go. I don't really know where you see "metallic" technocyte either, aside from prime stuff. Most frames barely reflect light at all and it looks rather like rubber.

And glaive being different - yeah, right, because they look totally different. Glaive prime looks differnt, but normal glaive and Dark Sector glaive look almost the same aside from tiny differences.

As alredy said - i simply think that they want to keep up the mistery about the Tenno, because if Dark Sector would be admitted to be the prequel, it would mean that Tenno are human (as well as the Orokin. The wiki even states "The Tenno are descendants of an ancient and mystical civilization of lost warriors from the Orokin era on Earth")

Has something of a streetmagician having cards falling out of his sleeve but nevertheless trying to perform the trick and make a card "show up" out of "nowhere" - same here, one day it will be "OMG, OROKIN ARE HUMAN" and people who played Dark Sector and read the WHOLE lore will be sitting there like "...oh...wow...yeah, totally didn't see that coming, yawn. Wanna go one with the Sentient plot again? Yeah? Thanks"

Oh, that's there. There's been talk about what that could mean. But, as Mobius said, it doesn't connect us to that immediately. Could just be another reference reference, an Easter Egg - It's a hope of mine there IS some lore in it, that it is reffering to some Hayden Tenno in the Warframe universe's past, but based on the words of DE - THE CREATORS OF BOTH GAMES - Dark Sector's storyline and events have no impact on Warframes.

The Metallic Technocyte comes from Dark Sector, where Hayden Tenno's arm gained a metallic looking crust shared by all other Infested enemies in that game. Whereas the Charger, Runners, even the Infested Moas have a more tumor-esq look. I suggest comparing the two. The visual differences are shocking.

And no, they don't.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/darksector/images/c/ce/Dark_sector_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080311205530

^ That's the Dark Sector glaive, from its wiki.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140407035856/warframe/images/d/d4/DEGlaive.png

^ That's Warframe's glaive. Very noticable differences in the silhouette, the style of the blades. Very clearly NOT "almost the same aside from slight differences". There are slight similarities because of the design, three-bladed throwing tool, but overall VERY different-looking edges and points coming out of it at other places. 

And while they've even SAID THEMSELVES that the Tenno came from humanity, that much we KNOW, we've known for some time, what the mystery we're looking at is how they were "twisted" by the Void, as Excalibur's Codex says they were. What did the Void do to them? How did it change them? That's the mystery at hand, not whether or not the Orokin were human or the Tenno were human.

not only that, but if my memory serves me, hayden tenno got his powers throught technocyte virus, and we get it from the void

The Void and our powers is a tricky and unclear subject to talk about, given the fact our Tenno can switch between the frames they have and have all kinds of new powers, but I said earlier that the Void exposure we endured and the "twisted" aspect of whatever it did to Warframe's Tenno alone makes us something VERY different from what Hayden was.
Edited by Morec0

Besides, the technocyte virus IS the same - Hayden's arm is more durable and Nemesis is bulletproof. Im not sure you even played the game. If technocyte wasnt soft, Warframes couldnt move, so there you go. I don't really know where you see "metallic" technocyte either, aside from prime stuff. Most frames barely reflect light at all and it looks rather like rubber.

Has something of a streetmagician having cards falling out of his sleeve but nevertheless trying to perform the trick and make a card "show up" out of "nowhere" - same here, one day it will be "OMG, OROKIN ARE HUMAN" and people who played Dark Sector and read the WHOLE lore will be sitting there like "...oh...wow...yeah, totally didn't see that coming, yawn. Wanna go one with the Sentient plot again? Yeah? Thanks"

Again, your arrogance shows, [sarcasm]because you are somehow omnipresent, and you know exactly what DE are doing. Wow. Please tell me my future![/sarcasm].

As it has been explained to you countless times, just because it says "Hayden Tenno" on the Warframes does not mean it's the same Hayden Tenno from Dark Sector. No one is saying that he doesn't exist in the Warframe universe: we are simply saying that it's not the same guy. Ergo, the events of the game Dark Sector have nothing to do with Warframe's history. How is that such a complex thing to grasp?

Oh, I know! It's because you don't want to understand. You'd rather think you know exacly what is going on because you don't want your pride to get hurt. Poor you. It must be difficult accepting that you hace thought wrongly in the past. That, my friend, is hubris.

The Technocyte virus is different. Completely. Technocyte itself has never even been mentioned in Warframe so why are you bringing it up as the same when it probably does not exist? Everyone assumes that it is Technocyte that creats the Infested but we don't know that. It is not the same.

Stop acting like we don't know how the Tenno were created. They got their powers from the Void, not from Technocyte like Hayden from Dark Sector did. This is a known fact. There is not "maybe". It is a fact. Don't ignore it to fit your headcanon.

Edit 1: Ninja'd by Morec0 again

Edit 2: Technocyte does exist in the Warframe universe.

Edited by Tengu147

I think that we shouldn't lose focus and start going ad-hominem, to avoid the thread from being locked.

Vor's research on the Seer is brimming with opportunity to Prime all the things

Once lost archives on how he managed to integrate Orokin and Grineer technology are uneartherd, it will be a free-for-all with Corpus, Grineer and Tenno (and Simaris, that eeeeevil Cephalon does not fool me) trying to snatch it and prevent the others from having it. 

It's great material for more, future events. Side with Corpus, Grineer, or Simaris (Lotus will always eat a piece of the cake)? Who should get the upper hand to gather Vor's research? Lotus probably wouldn't be able to doit with Tenno Power alone and must pick a frenemy temp-ally to fulfill it. 

Then we may have Corpus, Grineer and whatnot Primed. 

The Technocyte virus is different. Completely. Technocyte itself has never even been mentioned in Warframe so why are you bringing it up as the same when it probably does not exist? Everyone assumes that it is Technocyte that creats the Infested but we don't know that. It is not the same.

Not trying to step on any toes but Technocyte is mentioned in Warframe. The description on Nano spores is where you'll find it.

To be fair, Technocyte IS used by-name in Warframe: Nano Spore description: "Fibrous technocyte tumor. Handle Infested tissue with caution."

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Nano_Spores

Going to your resources in your inventory and mousing over it gives the same thing.

EDIT: Ninja's by the Devil.

Edited by Morec0

Not trying to step on any toes but Technocyte is mentioned in Warframe. The description on Nano spores is where you'll find it.

To be fair, Technocyte IS used by-name in Warframe: Nano Spore description: "Fibrous technocyte tumor. Handle Infested tissue with caution."

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Nano_Spores

Going to your resources in your inventory and mousing over it gives the same thing.

EDIT: Ninja's by the Devil.

Ah I see. Well then, didn't mean to cause any confusion. Thanks for the clarification :)

*Facepalm* ok, fine, you win. Seriously, if DE would show you an orange and tell its a lamborghini aventador, you would jump at anyone's throat with the steelward argument that they have the same color and the DE said so.

And the warframe are technocyte infested, if you would take a second to look at them.

Whatever, BTT, as i said - you totally win and Dark Sector is totally not explaining like half the stuff in Warframe they try to keep mysterious. I don't think this discussion will end in any civilized matter otherwise.

So, Valkyr.

Her skills are (and i think we are about the same opinion on this one for the most part) rather changed. Ripline is from her arm attachments - its mechanical. Shield discharge is the same paralyze as the Corpus use in the Alad V trailer. Hysteria is due to her pain and rage, which is torture induced. Warcry - k, could have been her normal skill.

The thing that bothers me the most about it is - Tenno clearly sustain injuries on a daily basis. They have to. So there has to be some way to heal / repair them. Now it might be, that their armor - which is made of some sort of organic material covering their whole body, which is basically soft metal but totally not technocyte - repairs itself. In any case - why did they not remove the foreign objects out of Valkyr? I know the meta-reason is because they designed her this way and thought it was cool, but ingame it doesn't make much sense. Bolts, cables & pins inside her muscles and half her skull / mask removed can't be very healthy.

Basically - why wasn't she fixed up in the first place?

Edited by Kasseopea

So Morec0, is there a definitive Yes or No as to whether Valkyr's powers before and after the Zanuka Project are the same? A definitive Proven/Disproven/Still a hypothesis?

If the modern Valkyr indeed has powers different from the original one, unearthing the Seer lore and making a ruckus out of it is a profitable in-lore way to Prime the modern Valkyr; bring forth the frame which was before her; and Prime non-Tenno weapons. 

It's a win-win-win. 

So Morec0, is there a definitive Yes or No as to whether Valkyr's powers before and after the Zanuka Project are the same? A definitive Proven/Disproven/Still a hypothesis?

If the modern Valkyr indeed has powers different from the original one, unearthing the Seer lore and making a ruckus out of it is a profitable in-lore way to Prime the modern Valkyr; bring forth the frame which was before her; and Prime non-Tenno weapons. 

It's a win-win-win. 

Well, it's a win-win-win for us, but more work for DE. Besides - prime non-tenno weapons? How? Oo

It's a win-win-win. 

Remember there is nothing in-game or in a devstream that makes the Seer a "prime" weapon, that is entirely a fabrication of a non-DE Wiki contributor. We have a "Prime" parts tab now and Seer parts do not appear there.

Personally I view "Priming" things that were not designed by the Orokin is more of a conceptual dilution that win-win. Mynki has said before that the primes are supposed to be the "ultimate" and suitably distinct. "Prime all the things" goes against that, making the concept boring and mundane IMHO.

Nothing has been said by the devs regarding the skin making changes to the power set, I'd say it's _highly_ unlikely and if DE were looking to do that they would simply make a new frame, not a skin (as it was stated to be)

The pre-Alad-V Valkyr concept had explicit energy claws, suggesting that other than (perhaps) the energy spurs coming out of the corpus restraints Hysteria will remain identical to the post-Alad-V Valkyr

Edited by SilentMobius

It's a win-win-win. 

We don't know, it's all still a hypothesis. No Proven or Disproven to speak of.

The concept art we saw still had Valkyr's energy claws, but we still don't know if that is a "never touched by the Corpus" skin or "repaired from the damage done to it" skin. With the look of a demon they're giving it through - pointed tail and all - I think that there's a bit of indication her powers WERE the same, albeit (again) with a different emotion than suffering/rage driving them.

But my strongest hunch towards this is the simple fact that when (and it's most assuredly a "when" matter) Valkyr Prime Access comes people AREN'T going to want to buy what they think will be a Prime of their favorite frame only to realize it doesn't have the abilities of their favorite frame. Hence, I think that while Valkyr Prime will have a different aesthetic to her powers (new SFX, a new weapon and stance for Hysteria) while they will be functionally the same.

So, ultimately all a theory, so we'll have to wait and see where the future takes it.

CODEX:

Captain Vor's prized Orokin-Grineer hybrid pistol has an average rate of fire but it has high damage and superior zoom capabilities.

It's a hybrid technology gun and only Vor was able to do it. Since no one else was able to do it either:

a) the knowledge of how to do it was lost forever with Vor's death/corruption; OR

b) there is a secret lab or at least research archives hidden somewhere waiting to be picked up by the luckiest,or taken out of a Grineer Area 51-style warehouse where they are buried and forgotten by the powers of bureaucracy. 

Like I said, there is in-lore opportunity to Prime all the things. Maybe it's possible to lure Vor and use a special scanner to take an imprint of his corrupted energy pattern and gather hints of his lab/research data location. And then capture this information and reproduce it to make more hybrid stuff. 

That makes it very possible for the modern Valkyr to be Primed, and still have another frame which is her Pre-Corpus self with a different power set, also with Prime and non-Prime versions. Their link would merely be a lore thing, but effectively different frames.

"It's more work for the devs". 

Everything is more work for the devs apart from abandoning the game. More work is also more money for the devs, and more fun for us (if the devs do it right of course). 

Releasing the "proto-valkyr" would be just like releasing any other newfangled frame. Only with lore attached to Valkyr.

Alternatively, there is one - admittedly more boring - approach: Releasing lock, stock and barrel a full set of 4 augments which tweak - but not completely alter - her powers to "Proto-Valkyr" powers all at once. Since DE has stated already that it is their intent for each power to have more than one augment, it's very possible to have it on 2nd generation augments. 

Edited by -TP-BrazilianJoe

The concept art we saw still had Valkyr's energy claws, but we still don't know if that is a "never touched by the Corpus" skin or "repaired from the damage done to it" skin. 

Um, Geoffexplicitly said "It's the pre-corpus capture Valkyr" when they first showed the concept. There is no question of it being "repaired"

Edited by SilentMobius

*Facepalm* ok, fine, you win. Seriously, if DE would show you an orange and tell its a lamborghini aventador, you would jump at anyone's throat with the steelward argument that they have the same color and the DE said so.

And the warframe are technocyte infested, if you would take a second to look at them.

Whatever, BTT, as i said - you totally win and Dark Sector is totally not explaining like half the stuff in Warframe they try to keep mysterious. I don't think this discussion will end in any civilized matter otherwise.

So, Valkyr.

Her skills are (and i think we are about the same opinion on this one for the most part) rather changed. Ripline is from her arm attachments - its mechanical. Shield discharge is the same paralyze as the Corpus use in the Alad V trailer. Hysteria is due to her pain and rage, which is torture induced. Warcry - k, could have been her normal skill.

The thing that bothers me the most about it is - Tenno clearly sustain injuries on a daily basis. They have to. So there has to be some way to heal / repair them. Now it might be, that their armor - which is made of some sort of organic material covering their whole body, which is basically soft metal but totally not technocyte - repairs itself. In any case - why did they not remove the foreign objects out of Valkyr? I know the meta-reason is because they designed her this way and thought it was cool, but ingame it doesn't make much sense. Bolts, cables & pins inside her muscles and half her skull / mask removed can't be very healthy.

Basically - why wasn't she fixed up in the first place?

... That's a terrible analogy. One's a real-world item that can be examined, the other's a fictional universe that's history and facts are dictated by it's creators. But in the interests of not letting this go on 'til eternity I'll drop it.

And I'm with you that the Warframe are Technocyte, I believe this is the reason for Lephantis' statement "we are your flesh" (based on my reading of the Rhino Codex); it just doesn't seem to be the same kind of Technocyte of Dark Sector.

The extent of what happened to Valkyr may have been too great to properly be able to remove such things from him. They may have been fused into her frame, permanent and irremovable, at least at the time. After all, if a man has a railroad spike through his head you don't just yank it out. It takes special medical care to get it done - what Alad did to Valkyr is, by all accounts we have, pretty much unprecedented. The Tenno and Lotus may simply NOT have had the know-how of how to handle it.

And while wounds CAN be healed, some wounds are simply too great. They leave scars. For Warframes, we see what those scars would be; skinning them alive (compare the undamaged Valkyr's concept art skin to Alad's Zanuka pet - they're disturbingly similar) and disecting them to their inner-most workings. That seems to be what got to her, out of everything.

Um, Steve explicitly said "Before the corpus" when they first showed the concept. There is no question of it being "repaired"

I'm going to wait for the in-game description to really say what state we got this from. Because while it is WITHOUT DOUBT "this is what she was like before the Corpus got to her" is this skin the result of having NEVER come into contact with the Corpus or taking it back the parts removed by the Corpus?

Answering that helps us solidly get at the nature of Valkyr before Alad V laid his hands on her.

Edited by Morec0

We don't know, it's all still a hypothesis. No Proven or Disproven to speak of.

The concept art we saw still had Valkyr's energy claws, but we still don't know if that is a "never touched by the Corpus" skin or "repaired from the damage done to it" skin. With the look of a demon they're giving it through - pointed tail and all - I think that there's a bit of indication her powers WERE the same, albeit (again) with a different emotion than suffering/rage driving them.

Battlelust maybe?

I think the reason most people (including me, to a degree) want a visually and thematically different power-set is because of they want this Pre-Corpus Valkyr to fit what they think a valkyrie-inspired Warframe to be. But to me, Valkyr is more of a cat-like warrior: the claws on the Warframe itself, as well as the energy claws from Hysteria; the sleek design; the Bastet helmet...

I'm going to wait for the in-game description to really say what state we got this from. Because while it is WITHOUT DOUBT "this is what she was like before the Corpus got to her" is this skin the result of having NEVER come into contact with the Corpus or taking it back the parts removed by the Corpus?

Answering that helps us solidly get at the nature of Valkyr before Alad V laid his hands on her.

Well that would depend on the player, we create a Valkyr suit based on the parts and data that we recover when defeating Alad V. That suit is twisted in it's very nature. If a player has that suit and then gets the skin then they could be constructing the missing parts after acquiring more data or building the original Tenno suit from scratch, there is no functional difference.

Well that would depend on the player, we create a Valkyr suit based on the parts and data that we recover when defeating Alad V. That suit is twisted in it's very nature. If a player has that suit and then gets the skin then they could be constructing the missing parts after acquiring more data or building the original Tenno suit from scratch, there is no functional difference.

The constructing part is pretty meta though. It would mean our enemies already have all the blueprints and parts we consist of, as they drop them.

Battlelust maybe?

I think the reason most people (including me, to a degree) want a visually and thematically different power-set is because of they want this Pre-Corpus Valkyr to fit what they think a valkyrie-inspired Warframe to be. But to me, Valkyr is more of a cat-like warrior: the claws on the Warframe itself, as well as the energy claws from Hysteria; the sleek design; the Bastet helmet...

That's my personal favorite idea. I love the idea of seeing a Valkyr just go full blood knight and charge into battle because it's what she flat-out loves to do.

And that does indeed seem to be sort of the crux. They want a Valykrie. As for cat-like warrior, to me I see more of a demon in the concept art of the skin. The pointed tail in particular doesn't exactly scream "cat!" to me. But the talk from the Devstream seems to suggest that DE's artists don't nesescarily try to go for a single obvious idea, but rather subtly in ways that lend themselves to interpretation. But I don't know for sure.

Anyone from DE reading this, please reconsider your choice to not include Lore in Warframes codex.

Valkyr is like Nova Prime before, a source for constant debate. Why not make things clear in the Lore released with the new skin, and a separate one in the Codex for the standard warframe?

Is this a very conscious choice and if so why?

The constructing part is pretty meta though. It would mean our enemies already have all the blueprints and parts we consist of, as they drop them.

The Warframes our Tenno wear, sure. The grineer and corpus have been digging up Tenno in cryo and tearing them and their warframes to pieces for years before our Tenno woke.

The key thing is that Vor allmost succeded in having his very own Tenno-puppet via the Ascaris device.

I imagine Alad tried to do the same, he found sleeping Tenno in their warframes right? Such a golden opportunity for him.

The torturous part probably came from removing all that armor and trying to control the flow of void-energy in the warframe.

I still have the image in my minds eye of Valkyr ripping Zanuka to pieces on the floor beneath her.

"THIS DO NOT BELONG TO YOU!!!"