Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Framerate (Fps) Police

TheErebus.

Yes it exists.

And yes, TotalBiscuit is the one behind it.

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/9393382-The-Framerate-Police/

This entire list here is essentially just him stating games that have 30 FPS. It is 100% objective with no form of subjectivity in it.

Which kinda makes me feel...sick. Some games on there like VVVVVV is listed on there. Do you know what the game is?

Yeah. Trust me, you wont even feel the difference.

Some of them are needed though, like the Final Fantasy one being at 15 FPS in combat. That stuff needs to be shared to others, though I almost see this being a case where he adds Visual Novels into it.

But go ahead and follow it if you want a list of games locked at 30 FPS and ways of removing them (if possible).

Edited by TheErebus.

I personally prefer seeing 30fps instead of 60fps. For me- 60fps looks like everything is moving at 2x speed... I thought maybe I just have bad reaction time or whatever but I saw somewhere that 30fps looks about the same as "real life" to the average human eyes so maybe I'm not alone.

I personally prefer seeing 30fps instead of 60fps. For me- 60fps looks like everything is moving at 2x speed... I thought maybe I just have bad reaction time or whatever but I saw somewhere that 30fps looks about the same as "real life" to the average human eyes so maybe I'm not alone.

I can't tell the difference between the two, they look the same to me.

So I typically play both kind of games provided they are stable.

inb4 the people coming to tell me that there is a difference and continue to post videos and links to try and prove me wrong

Edited by TheErebus.

I can't tell the difference between the two, they look the same to me.

So I typically play both kind of games provided they are stable.

inb4 the people coming to tell me that there is a difference and continue to post videos and links to try and prove me wrong

I think that only some people can see the difference.

I prefer 60-120. Because numbers.

I think that only some people can see the difference.

I prefer 60-120. Because numbers.

I think most can see it, I don't.

It kinda annoys me, because I've played great games that are at 30 FPS yet most wont even look at it because of it.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread you put up, the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS in gameplay isn't noticable in visuals, only slightly in controls. 60FPS is the maximum speed a human eye can make noticable differences in images. (had to put that exact statement because in theory you can see 1000FPS, and people will always bring that up, although you'd never notice the difference between a game at 60 FPS and one at 1000FPS.)

Dark Souls is locked to 30FPS.

how do you fix it? you don't buy it.

everybody wins.

the second time around From Software smartened up somewhat. they still don't know how to make a PC game, but it's a ton better the second time around.

- - - - -

(very sarcasm) Batman: Arkham Knight is locked to 30FPS. how do you fix it? well yo... wait, where'd the Store Page go? :D

Arse Creed isn't locked to 30FPS but the games are so bloated and fat programmed that they might as well be. even at 60FPS, it feels like it's less than 30.

i'm not worried because while Batman(and Arse Creed) seems to have created a new style of combat that many games are using now, it's the other titles that take that base and make it 50x better and more interesting that are the ones i want to play, not those two where it boils down to button mashing faster than you die. that's boring.

- - - - -

Mech Warrior 4 doesn't know how to limit it's Framerate. if you're not running it Fullscreen, it doesn't understand what to do and it runs somewhere in the range of 1000+.

like super low Framerates, that also makes the game unplayable :D

honestly, i'm out. i have very few games (installed or not) that i can recall that were locked to 30FPS. because if they are, i usually just ignore them in the first place. my eyes slightly hurting is only worth it if it's something that's going to blow me away.

Edit:

oh, Framerate talk. some people can't discern the difference between Framerates.

i'm going to sound rude but i'm not trying to be.

if you can't tell the difference, i feel bad for you. i wish you could. i apologize that the universe created you with those Eyes that aren't functioning as they should be. just as someone that's Colorblind, i'm sorry for anyone that can't see the world as it actually is. it sucks.

but the delays at 23.97 and 30FPS are huge. between 41.8ms and 33.4ms.

which is a long time for the universe to be frozen in time.

if you're someone that unfortunately can't see the difference - take a camera, and take a sequence of pictures with something moving in them. then scroll through them in order slower and slower until the delay between each image feels jarring if you imagine it's a video.

for completely passive media (like a video or a movie), i feel that 50+ is sufficient. even at 60 if i'm looking for it, i can see the frame transitions. but if i'm not 'trying to look for problems', 50+ is motion video.

for interactive media (like a Video Game), i feel that 120+ is sufficient. 60 is acceptable, but it's not actually good. delays are still too long for quick reactions. so still feels kind've sluggish if it's fast paced.

though, 100+ is probably also sufficient.

Edited by taiiat

As I mentioned in an earlier thread you put up, the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS in gameplay isn't noticable in visuals, only slightly in controls. 60FPS is the maximum speed a human eye can make noticable differences in images. (had to put that exact statement because in theory you can see 1000FPS, and people will always bring that up, although you'd never notice the difference between a game at 60 FPS and one at 1000FPS.)

I know about the feeling, but the look of it is what I cannot see. 

Sometimes a 30 FPS game looks exactly the same as a 60 FPS game. Sometimes even feels like it.

Bloodborne feels completely smooth (aside from the very rare frame rate drop)

Sometimes a 30 FPS game looks exactly the same as a 60 FPS game. Sometimes even feels like it.

I (Think) I remember you typing something along the lines of games being made for certain FPS? I forget. It's like a game being designed to be played at 30FPS, 60FPS, etc.

I (Think) I remember you typing something along the lines of games being made for certain FPS? I forget. It's like a game being designed to be played at 30FPS, 60FPS, etc.

The Souls series/Bloodborne.

The reason that the devs give (NOT MINE) is that the "slower" frame rate allows for better timing of your parries/counters. 

That's mainly because even if a game is in 60 FPS, that doesn't always mean there are 60 frames of animation. which means your reaction time is faster but the image on the screen isn't any different.

Assassins creed doesn't need 60 FPS because it's PvE and pretty much QTE based in combat.

That's because some games tie the physics engine and game's stuff to FPS, so in some games 60 FPS *is* 2x speed.

It's... really stupid when that happens.

That's mainly because even if a game is in 60 FPS, that doesn't always mean there are 60 frames of animation. which means your reaction time is faster but the image on the screen isn't any different.

Assassins creed doesn't need 60 FPS because it's PvE and pretty much QTE based in combat.

QTE based combat.

Remember Hitman: Absolution? The melee combat was just QTE in slow motion.

That's because some games tie the physics engine and game's stuff to FPS, so in some games 60 FPS *is* 2x speed.

It's... really stupid when that happens.

Toukidan is like that. Uncap it, and the game becomes insanely fast.

QTE based combat.

Remember Hitman: Absolution? The melee combat was just QTE in slow motion.

Toukidan is like that. Uncap it, and the game becomes insanely fast.

Played a demo of hitman absolution, never got into hitman though. The way I played the demo was stealth and guns, so I never tried the hand to hand.

The reason that the devs give (NOT MINE) is that the "slower" frame rate allows for better timing of your parries/counters.

which ofcourse is completely crap.

it's because From Software is writing the games tied to Framerate. Framerate controls everything in the game.

Video Games stopped doing that in the mid 90's, because it was a terrible way of doing things.

in recent years, people are trying to do it again. it doesn't work! it's not reliable.

yes, at 30FPS there's a wider time window for you to be able to Parry successfully. but that's because the game is completely tied to Framerate. it's their own fault.

which ofcourse is completely crap.

it's because From Software is writing the games tied to Framerate. Framerate controls everything in the game.

Video Games stopped doing that in the mid 90's, because it was a terrible way of doing things.

in recent years, people are trying to do it again. it doesn't work! it's not reliable.

yes, at 30FPS there's a wider time window for you to be able to Parry successfully. but that's because the game is completely tied to Framerate. it's their own fault.

If they were writing it like that, then Dark Souls should become as fast as Toukidan when the cap is removed. Which it doesn't.

Neither does DkS2 which is at 60 FPS on PC and 30 FPS on Console, yet do not speed up as a result.

Also you say it's complete crap, but then say that what they say is true.

Make up your mind.

If they were writing it like that, then Dark Souls should speed up but doesn't.

Neither does DkS2 which is at 60 FPS on PC and 30 FPS on Console, yet do not speed up as a result.

Also you say it's complete crap, but then say that what they say is true.

you've basically got two halves to the game. Enemies/World, and Combat.

Combat is tied to Framerate. removing locks may or may not change the world. From Software said for Dark Souls that if you uncapped the Framerate, the entire game might blow up and that they take no responsibility if it's unplayable then.

it's complete crap because it's true, but they say it like Framerate is at fault. but it's their own fault. they created the problem in the first place.

you've basically got two halves to the game. Enemies/World, and Combat.

Combat is tied to Framerate. removing locks may or may not change the world. From Software said for Dark Souls that if you uncapped the Framerate, the entire game might blow up and that they take no responsibility if it's unplayable then.

it's complete crap because it's true, but they say it like Framerate is at fault. but it's their own fault. they created the problem in the first place.

Could you provide a link for this statement that From made?

Because so far, anyone who's used DSFix to uncap it have seen very smooth and relatively stable gameplay (don't slide down the ladders).

I know what VVVVVV is. It's a very fun, fairly challenging, retro platformer with a great soundtrack. It's something like $5 or less on Steam; I'd recommend people giving it a try unless you absolutely hate platforming.

Personally, I would love it if all games ran in 60 FPS (assuming my computer is able). For fast-paced or technical games though, I place a bit more emphasis on 60 fps. It does feel pretty stilted when a game runs at 30 fps when it should be 60 though.

For adventure games though, like Dark Souls or Zelda, I don't really have a problem with 30 fps.

Game do look better with the higher frame rate, but it's nothing that is going to make me turn my nose up unless it directly infringes upon the original game's vision or mechanics (or unless it drops to 15 or below).

Edited by Otenko