The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Roll to Seduce(D20)

OverlordMcGeek

1 minute ago, LordOfScrugging said:

Looking for anything i can get atm. Only real experiences are cleaning and a bit of mechanical work

Temp agencies are usually a good way into something.  Security companies and event staff are always hiring.

9 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Temp agencies are usually a good way into something.  Security companies and event staff are always hiring.

I've tried staffing. alot of them weren't really flexible. I've been looking for places that employ military. Probably gonna see if the staffing place has and one that helps military friday :/

1 hour ago, LordOfScrugging said:

I've tried staffing. alot of them weren't really flexible. I've been looking for places that employ military. Probably gonna see if the staffing place has and one that helps military friday :/

I didn't know you were military.  Security companies love military types.  My brother has 8 years active and he's constantly getting calls for stuff like personal protection and some Dam postings.

2 hours ago, Noamuth said:

What are you guys looking for, employment wise?

Looking for stuff myself.  

Currently a student but I do try to find some temporary IT jobs during my semester breaks. Sometimes I score, sometimes I don't. I didn't manage to get one for this semester's break tho.

Speaking of military, I have 2 more years before I have to enlist. I live in one of those countries that serving time in the army is required. <.>

2 minutes ago, Cryptoxic said:

Currently a student but I do try to find some temporary IT jobs during my semester breaks. Sometimes I score, sometimes I don't. I didn't manage to get one for this semester's break tho.

Speaking of military, I have 2 more years before I have to enlist. I live in one of those countries that serving time in the army is required. <.>

Obligatory military service?

Man that sucks. That thing was removed here after a certain... Tragedy... Happened.

Not even sure why that is still a thing. And many would be better off without it. Others maybe not but that's personal preference I guess.

Just now, ElGuirrix said:

Obligatory military service?

Man that sucks. That thing was removed here after a certain... Tragedy... Happened.

Not even sure why that is still a thing. And many would be better off without it. Others maybe not but that's personal preference I guess.

Yeah I wish I had a choice in it but it's a law so bleh. At least I'll learn to fire a weapon.

1 hour ago, Cryptoxic said:

Yeah I wish I had a choice in it but it's a law so bleh. At least I'll learn to fire a weapon

It's not a bad thing (or at least, there's positives to it).  It gives you something to fall back on mentally, teaches you how to get along in pretty much any situation you'll find yourself in, and if you're lucky, you'll get to do some cool stuff.  There's a good chance I never would have stepped on African soil, or gotten to see the one remaining pillar of the Artemisia, or been to this tiny, tiny little island halfway between Africa and India, the pictures of which look like frikkin CGI.  I'm personally a huge advocate of universal service, but Starship Troopers is one of the best books ever written in my opinion (if you haven't read it, it's NOTHING like the movie).  Oh, and this is coming from someone who didn't enjoy a LOT of his time in - trust me, that's NOT fond nostalgia.

3 hours ago, LordOfScrugging said:

I've been looking for places that employ military.

AD, retired, reserves?  If you're US, have you tried some of the recruiting agencies?  Or are you just looking for supplemental income?

1 hour ago, ElGuirrix said:

Throwing a Sai is more fun than shooting, to me.

Like how long you'll have to spend in military?

2 years or around there.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Cwellann said:

It's not a bad thing (or at least, there's positives to it).  It gives you something to fall back on mentally, teaches you how to get along in pretty much any situation you'll find yourself in, and if you're lucky, you'll get to do some cool stuff.  There's a good chance I never would have stepped on African soil, or gotten to see the one remaining pillar of the Artemisia, or been to this tiny, tiny little island halfway between Africa and India, the pictures of which look like frikkin CGI.  I'm personally a huge advocate of universal service, but Starship Troopers is one of the best books ever written in my opinion (if you haven't read it, it's NOTHING like the movie).  Oh, and this is coming from someone who didn't enjoy a LOT of his time in - trust me, that's NOT fond nostalgia.

Yeah it feels like a stepping stone to society if you wanna look at it in a positive way. Teaches you how to interact with people, the drill sergeant acts like your boss and so on.

Just now, Cryptoxic said:

Yeah it feels like a stepping stone to society if you wanna look at it in a positive way

Helps with any stigma of having served too.  Watch the first Rambo sometime - or listen to "Born in the USA".  If everyone's done their time, prior service can never be out of place, it's as you said, a rite of passage or stepping stone.  Out of curiosity though, how's the interaction between career vets and mandatory-service-only people?  Is there any elitism or "inner circle" sort of nonsense prevalent?  Or is it just a shared bond?

1 hour ago, (PS4)Cwellann said:

Helps with any stigma of having served too.  Watch the first Rambo sometime - or listen to "Born in the USA".  If everyone's done their time, prior service can never be out of place, it's as you said, a rite of passage or stepping stone.  Out of curiosity though, how's the interaction between career vets and mandatory-service-only people?  Is there any elitism or "inner circle" sort of nonsense prevalent?  Or is it just a shared bond?

The vets are mostly headhunted and offered a contract that they can't turn down. Very little of the vets are actually passionate about their job mainly due to the mandatory service we all have to go through. To answer your question, it's a shared bond because even if they're vets, they still go through the mandatory 2 year service.

9 hours ago, (PS4)Cwellann said:

AD, retired, reserves?  If you're US, have you tried some of the recruiting agencies?  Or are you just looking for supplemental income?

Yea US. and currently reserves. Got about a year left. not sure if i'll re-enlist :/ I pulled a kind of dumb move. i enlisted as a junior in the reserves, went to basic and came back, finished senior year, completed my training. probably should have waited the year and gone active :/ 

and yea i've tried recruiting agencies. alot of places were either a bit too far for me to commute or nothing generally appealing. I'm going to some place tomorrow that's supposed to help though. When i spoke to the guy that's supposed to help me he was talking about getting me into an internship at a mechanic place. and possibly getting some schooling simultaneously

Edited by LordOfScrugging

9 minutes ago, LordOfScrugging said:

talking about getting me into an internship at a mechanic place. and possibly getting some schooling simultaneously

When I went to TAPS (or whatever the heck they're caling it now that they finally realized what "tap" means... anyway) those internship/apprenticeship programs were one of the things they stressed.  Not the route I took (I'm in school full time now, trying to keep the gpa high enough for medschool), but I heard a lot of success stories about those kinds of program.

Hello. I have not met VivaNyanCat, Cwellann or Yzjdriel, but I remember TheBrsrkr - you gave me the nickname CheekiBreeki in the fan zone.

Noa - I can't remember what popular movie I've seen that lyrics? Maybe a Tim Burton stop motion film?

Edited by (PS4)makrisbrik