Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Discussion] 17.0.4 Hydroid Suggested Adjustments

FoxFX

After the recent hotfix (17.0.4), there have been a lot of people in strong disagreement with the Hydroid changes. After the hotfix, I have been thinking heavily about Hydroid’s abilities and a certain theme/style to what Hydroid is all about. So as to alleviate some tension, I wanted to jot down a few suggestions:

PROBLEMS WITH TEMPEST BARRAGE

• With high Range, Tempest Barrage rather is a hit and miss, and come with a low Duration count to boot
  • Tempest Barrage is easily obstructed by environments/doors and the like (even with Frost’s Snow Globe)

PROPOSED ADJUSTMENTS FOR TEMPEST BARRAGE

• Let Tempest Barrage attack directly downward instead of a salvo-like direction, also let Tempest Barrage stagger enemies instead of knocking them down
  • Range Mods should affect the Tempest Barrage’s Explosion Radius and not the range of the Barrage
  • Give Tempest Barrage a utility buff for instance: [Tempest Barrage has a 20% chance to disarm hit enemies]

PROBLEMS WITH TIDAL SURGE

• Personal issue: We have already enough Warframe abilities that allow linear transposition. Let us make Hydroid a bit unique and much more convenient to use his augment Tidal Impunity

PROPOSED ADJUSTMENTS FOR TIDAL SURGE

• Tidal Surge now becomes a Duration ability that turns Hydroid into a moveable puddle
  • With this change, Hydroid can now traverse and turn at any direction while being able to move to allies more conveniently to use Tidal Impunity
  • This version of Tidal Impunity requires a low set Duration for it to be balanced
  • Tidal Surge can be cancelled doing so resulting in its Slash-explosion effect

PROBLEMS WITH UNDERTOW

• I really see no issue so far with Undertow and its Augment:  Curative Undertow. It is fine as is.

PROBLEMS WITH TENTACLE SWARM

• So now it has come to this: The recent changes to its Augment: Pilfering Swarm has a lot of players in heavy disagreement.
  • Pilfering Swarm can still give the additional drops as long as the tentacles have the affected enemy, BUT with Tentacle Swarm still ragdolling enemies around like so, it has become more unreliable

FIRST PROPOSED CHANGES FOR TENTACLE SWARM

• MAKE TENTACLE SWARM’S ABILITY A BIT SIMILAR TO EQUINOX’S REST ABILITY
  • In this way, Enemies that enter the area of Tentacle Swarm’s AOE are not being ragdolled, but instead staying in place. This was, players can have a MUCH easier time to kill the enemies caught as well as making Pilfering Swarm a much convenient Augment as it is now since update 17.0.4.
  • Unlike Equinox’s Rest, Hydroid’s Tentacle Swarm latches onto the enemy until the entire Duration is gone.
  • Once an enemy dies under Tentacle Swarm’s effect, a new set of tentacles will restrict the next enemy. To have this done, there has to be a set limit to how many enemies Tentacle Swarm can capture (I’d go for 5 enemies max a highest Rank)
  • Doing so, Tentacle Swarm’s damage may need to be reduced, or change this version of Tentacle Swarm to an effect that reduces Armor based on Power Strength and/or Nullifies enemy Shields.
  • The Duration of Tentacle Swarm might also need to be reduced

SECOND PROPOSED CHANGES FOR TENTACLE SWARM

• TENACLE SWARM GETS BUFFED UP A BIT WHERE IT DOES DIFFERENT EFFECTS AND DAMAGE BASED ON ITS ATTACKS
  • 1st Tentacle Attack: a radial swipe attack staggering all enemies within its area
  • 2nd Tentacle Attack: a slam attack that will down any enemy within its attack but deals additional more damage if the tentacle lands directly on an enemy
  • Effect on Pilfering Swarm: Pilfering Swarm now gives a debuff to any enemy that is hit with a tentacle allowing additional 100% drop rate as long as Tentacle Swarm is active.
  • Each tentacle uses either attack 1 time per second
  • Range increases the size of the tentacles which increases the tentacles' attack ranges but Range Mods cannot effect the spawn radius of the Tentacles

Overall, I see Hydroid as a Water-based Warframe that creates "AOE-Zones" giving support and trapping/damaging enemies in their place. Please write down suggestion/comments concerning all this.

Edited by FoxFX

Need to go experience the changes, but I like your suggestions off the cuff.  I'm finding tentacle swarm sort of underwhelming, i'd prefer if the tentacles would just grab lift and squeeze in place targets they find.

I agree on everything here. I would feel much better about the nerf if these changes were implemented. It would change him from a power spam frame that relies on powerstrength to a frame that relies on using his weapons and duration. This much more suits what he should be. Also, his 4 should be castable even if another tentacle swarm is currently out.

Need to go experience the changes, but I like your suggestions off the cuff.  I'm finding tentacle swarm sort of underwhelming, i'd prefer if the tentacles would just grab lift and squeeze in place targets they find.

I thought the exact same for sometime with Hydroid. All these Ragdolling abilities can be a bit inconvenient especially with the way Pilfering Tentacle has become now.

The 4's got me a bit torn, I think I'd still like the current way the tentacles do damage, flailing around and picking up enemies as they pass by. The only fix I think it needs is targeting, because it's god-awful right now.

The 1 suggestion is great, but I think that "disarming" thing could be changed to something else or made into an augment.

His 2 is alright, but how does it work? It's just a moving puddle? You don't take damage? Is it just a mobile version of his 3? I think that should be revised a little, but I agree on the linear movement part. That's boring. Also, why a slash proc? It seems to me that impact would be more appropriate, but that's just me.

The 4's got me a bit torn, I think I'd still like the current way the tentacles do damage, flailing around and picking up enemies as they pass by. The only fix I think it needs is targeting, because it's god-awful right now.

The 1 suggestion is great, but I think that "disarming" thing could be changed to something else or made into an augment.

His 2 is alright, but how does it work? It's just a moving puddle? You don't take damage? Is it just a mobile version of his 3? I think that should be revised a little, but I agree on the linear movement part. That's boring. Also, why a slash proc? It seems to me that impact would be more appropriate, but that's just me.

Imagine water coming out of a pressure washer. It would cut through your skin like a knife, that is why I think he chose slash.

Now i kind of agree with you i been running different weapons and different missions since the Hydroid lost of power effect on pilfering .

Now the missions i been running have range from mercury to pluto survival mission ,were i see if i can solo survive for 5 minutes.(with different factions)

Running specific builds to get the most out of my abilities and multiples times the same mission if i feel like i myself made a mistake.

Now i have notice that Hydroid really falls short in high level mission and in low level mission.

So i ran builds to try to improve his performance well those build because of hydroid lack of cc he begins to loose in the game of defense and protection of himself

So then i ran builds to improve his lively hood well his power lack power and damage so i of course went with Hek and Prime Lex to kill ,but still his power are to low damage even in comparison in low level mission while i do survive his power make small dent to the enemy.

So then i ran a special build Something that only hydroid can do after running this i felt pretty good about hydroid ,but theni realize that special build limit to much Hydroid other abilities.and well his competitive usefulness begins to be lost when you alone running a mission.It would require teamwork between tennos and well specific tennos to be exact.

Swarm-equinox extra power-a frost/nova slowing enemies or keeping them in place

Undertow-vortex/pull just to pull them in-radial disarm and decoy to make them come to you-absorb to make them come over the field

Tidal surge-well yeah is linear it drags enemy but that is about it i couldn't think of a combo that isn;t like having them to be stun so i can tidal surge them

Barrage-the same while is an area of effect enemy need to get hit or be in the radius which looses value to quick 

So then i ran a Mechanic build with Hydroid amazing results,but alot of work

Mechanic build-

Fleeting 

Streamline

Natural talent(optional depending on how good you are)

Primes continuity(can be replace with narrow)

constitution(can be replace with narrow)

rage

quick thinking

flow(prime)

energy siphon

well the idea behind this build is that Hydroid is immune to damage when transforming into and out of water form so you if you can time it you can avoid alot of damage and you can also spam you abilities to the average level of their potential.

But yeah i decided to do all this cause i love hydroid and wanted to bring some sort of counter argument to the forum if people tried to dis hydroid now or say well he sucks now.But yeah to use hydroid would require to much work then needed now and his maximum utility has been decreased you could basically run a nekros and well he can terrify and he doesn't have to be the one to kill them.get about the same amount of drop

But yeah in the end i concluded He isn't something i would want for my squad while he is a fun frame to use  after running many builds on him and running combos with hims,as well as different weapons and sentinels support he lacks to much and requires to much work around him.(also different playstyle lets just say stealth isn't a strong point)

So i think a buff/rework on his other aspect so people would choose to play him not just cause he has a cool theme.but because he can provide more utility and also provide move of an impact that water does in everyone life.

Edited by Leavith

I like your ideas for Tempest Barrage for the most part, though I'm not sure how to make it work out nicely for negative range builds. Maybe have a minimum radius for the explosions so that you can just make it an accurate series of blasts that still hit a reasonably sized area. It could probably also stand to do more damage. Something definitely needs to be done about it hitting walls and ceilings, so having it come straight down sounds like a good start, though it may still hit the floor above the enemy in a multi-level room. It needs to simply be fixed to always hit where you aim it and ignore other terrain until it gets close to the target area (basically, no clipping with terrain until the last second). Damage could probably stand to see a little improvement.

Tidal Surge, being able to control and make turns and cancel it early could be useful. I just don't have any good alternative ideas of how to change it. I don't mind how it is now, but don't like how badly it can get messed up with negative duration (slowly crawling gelatinous blob vs tidal wave). Could probably stand to be larger and do more damage.

Undertow should not completely submerge enemies so other players can still attack them. Leave them struggling to swim in the puddle, unable to escape, but still visible so others can shoot them. Enemies released from the puddle should always either be momentarily ragdolled or knocked down (just so much that they fall over) so they have to climb back to their feet, not be able to shoot/attack Hydroid as soon as the ability is cancelled.

Tentacle Swarm needs to have a positive interaction with range mods. As you increase range, the area it covers gets larger, but the tentacles grow larger or more of them spawn to thoroughly cover the target area. Negative range still functions about how it does now, effectively covering a small area like a doorway or hallway, while positive range covers a larger area a little bit more randomly. Damage could, once again, stand to see a little improvement.

The tentacles need to have three basic functions: smack, flail, and impale. Smack should hit the ground and knock enemies down, flail should hit enemies and knock them over a short distance as a ragdoll, impale should skewer them on the tentacle but down low enough on the tentacle that they don't get whipped about wildly so players can actually shoot them. When the tentacles first spawn, every one of them should aim for an enemy to impale. Tentacles should only appear on the ground or low on a wall, never on the ceiling, in midair, inside of terrain or on terrain enemies cannot normally access.

Edited by Centias

I like your ideas for Tempest Barrage for the most part, though I'm not sure how to make it work out nicely for negative range builds. Maybe have a minimum radius for the explosions so that you can just make it an accurate series of blasts that still hit a reasonably sized area. It could probably also stand to do more damage. Something definitely needs to be done about it hitting walls and ceilings, so having it come straight down sounds like a good start, though it may still hit the floor above the enemy in a multi-level room. It needs to simply be fixed to always hit where you aim it and ignore other terrain until it gets close to the target area (basically, no clipping with terrain until the last second). Damage could probably stand to see a little improvement.

I don't so much like your ideas for Tidal Surge because it can too easily be used for trolling teammates (Valkyr used Hysteria? Better push her into a hole!). I just don't have any good alternative ideas of how to change it. I sort of like how it is now, but don't like how badly it can get messed up with negative duration (slowly crawling gelatinous blob vs tidal wave). Could probably stand to be larger and do more damage.

Undertow should not completely submerge enemies so other players can still attack them. Leave them struggling to swim in the puddle, unable to escape, but still visible so others can shoot them. Enemies released from the puddle should always either be momentarily ragdolled or knocked down (just so much that they fall over) so they have to climb back to their feet, not be able to shoot/attack Hydroid as soon as the ability is cancelled.

Tentacle Swarm needs to have a positive interaction with range mods. As you increase range, the area it covers gets larger, but the tentacles grow larger or more of them spawn to thoroughly cover the target area. Negative range still functions about how it does now, effectively covering a small area like a doorway or hallway, while positive range covers a larger area a little bit more randomly. Damage could, once again, stand to see a little improvement.

The tentacles need to have three basic functions: smack, flail, and impale. Smack should hit the ground and knock enemies down, flail should hit enemies and knock them over a short distance as a ragdoll, impale should skewer them on the tentacle but down low enough on the tentacle that they don't get whipped about wildly so players can actually shoot them. When the tentacles first spawn, every one of them should aim for an enemy to impale. Tentacles should only appear on the ground or low on a wall, never on the ceiling, in midair, inside of terrain or on terrain enemies cannot normally access.

Can you give an example how Hydroid's Tidal Surge can be inconvenient for Players? And my suggestion for Tidal Surge it to give it the ability to move fast but to have a set duration that can be cancelled.

Can you give an example how Hydroid's Tidal Surge can be inconvenient for Players? And my suggestion for Tidal Surge it to give it the ability to move fast but to have a set duration that can be cancelled.

My mistake, I went back and realized I misread part of it. You said "being able to move to allies more conveniently" which I read as "being able to move allies". As in, push other players around. I'll strike that out of my post.

I was reading the hotfix thread and all the comments about how the nerf isn't all that bad. You can now get additional loot from high level enemies, people who rarely play Hydroid claim. Just wait for the tentacles to catch them! He's a great CC frame, people who have barely played Hydroid say.

What was most baffling is the people suggesting high range and duration build are the way to go now. I seriously question whether most commenters have played Hydroid longer than what it took to level him up on Draco. Do you know what happens when you cast Swarm with high duration and tentacles come out from the ceiling? Duration builds were only somewhat useful for infested defence (if the spawn doesn't get bugged or an enemy doesn't become stuck and invulnerable, forcing you to abort) and the occasional survival camp. Mind you, with a Trinity around, low duration was still better.

So yeah, keep waiting for the tentacles to catch the enemies. And even if they do, have fun shooting them with anything but a shotgun or an AoE weapon. The only reason I put up with how incredibly unreliable Swarm is was the additional loot. High risk, high reward. I'd rather take a Nekros now for farming anything that doesn't drop from drones.

I get that DE wants to sell boosters. I don't buy the claims that they want to reduce the grind. They want to make money and I'm fine with that. But how about you fix some of the major issues with frames like Hydroid before you nerf their utility? I'm getting somewhat tired of knee-jerk nerfs, or knerfs, as I call them.

On a side note, thanks for making my Arcane Eruption 50% less effective.

Also, there goes my only use for Equinox. But maim is so scalable, stoybot! Yeah, right; it will be, when the range is increased.

PROBLEMS WITH UNDERTOW

• I really see no issue so far with Undertow and its Augment:  Curative Undertow. It is fine as is.

Are you serious here? It's incredibly bad ability. Yeah, it may be somewhat useful sometimes. But, there are a lot of problems:

- It's non-interactive boring ability, that makes player stay idle and simply watch while other Tenno run around having fun.

- It doesn't really help our main objective — killing enemies while staying alive. It can stall enemies, but that's all — it won't help you to progress.

- It's augment give some support capabilities, but requires coordination that makes Hydriod still inferior even to Oberon as a healer.

In my opinion it needs some serious rework. For example: you spawn puddles that trap enemies and if you fire inside the puddle all enemies get the same damage that goes into the puddle.

Edited by AlienOvermind

just 2cents, thx DE for fukn up the Hydroid. Bravo u did it

This thread is made to discuss suggestions for improving Hydroid's kit, not to actually go rant on about the changes DE made.

I can understand a lot of players are feeling a bit upset about these changes, but let us perhaps figure out what possible change in direction Hydroid would need to at least keep up with the changes Warframe has undergone.

Tempest Barrage sounds good, but I say keep the knockdown, that should be enough utility for a first skill

Tidal Surge definitely needs something unique. But wut, a moving puddle ? /o/ being able to change directions is nice I guess. I don't have any better alternative otherwise.

No opinion on Undertow.

And on to Hydroid's bread and butter : I think your change is good considering how convenient it would be to be shoot enemies grabbed by tentacles, but it does seem too much like Rest (I know you're using it as reference, but still). What if it were a separate command ? You can toggle between holding enemies in one place and have the tentacles wreak havoc on everything in their range.

Edited by The_Vile_Blade

Tempest Barrage sounds good, but I say keep the knockdown, that should be enough utility for a first skill

Tidal Surge definitely needs something unique. But wut, a moving puddle ? /o/ being able to change directions is nice I guess. I don't have any better alternative otherwise.

No opinion on Undertow.

And on to Hydroid's bread and butter : I think your change is good considering how convenient it would be to be shoot enemies grabbed by tentacles, but it does seem too much like Rest (I know you're using it as reference, but still). What if it were a separate command ? You can toggle between holding enemies in one place and have the tentacles wreak havoc on everything in their range.

Toggling Tentacle Swarm's effect is plausible as well. My one initial worry and focus is "how can Hydroid's skillset be changed to be as useful in higher-end missions/content?"

Seeing the recent changes to Frost and Excalibur (even now since they are made well for high level fights) made me realize that as the game Warframe changes, so should some of the abilities of several Warframes including the likes of Saryn, Zephyr, and others.

I've added a second proposed change to Hydroid's Tentacle adjustments since there has been some disagreement on making the tentacles grab and hold an enemy much like Equinox's Rest.

This change would make the tentacles use two different attack: a swiping and slamming attack. Enemies hit with the Tentacles will receive the Pilfering Swarm debuff as long as Tentacle Swarm is active.

I still believe we should avoid another ragdoll effect for Tentacles due to the recent changes of Pilfering.

I like the suggestions in this thread, but I actually had a different vision/role for Hydroid as outlined in my own thread. I wonder if there's a good midpoint for all this.

The point we all should be focusing on now is to ensure all Warframe are relevant and have the potential to keep up with each updated content we get in this game.

I saw your thread, good suggestions.

I was reading the hotfix thread and all the comments about how the nerf isn't all that bad. You can now get additional loot from high level enemies, people who rarely play Hydroid claim. Just wait for the tentacles to catch them! He's a great CC frame, people who have barely played Hydroid say.

What was most baffling is the people suggesting high range and duration build are the way to go now. I seriously question whether most commenters have played Hydroid longer than what it took to level him up on Draco. Do you know what happens when you cast Swarm with high duration and tentacles come out from the ceiling? Duration builds were only somewhat useful for infested defence (if the spawn doesn't get bugged or an enemy doesn't become stuck and invulnerable, forcing you to abort) and the occasional survival camp. Mind you, with a Trinity around, low duration was still better.

So yeah, keep waiting for the tentacles to catch the enemies. And even if they do, have fun shooting them with anything but a shotgun or an AoE weapon. The only reason I put up with how incredibly unreliable Swarm is was the additional loot. High risk, high reward. I'd rather take a Nekros now for farming anything that doesn't drop from drones.

I get that DE wants to sell boosters. I don't buy the claims that they want to reduce the grind. They want to make money and I'm fine with that. But how about you fix some of the major issues with frames like Hydroid before you nerf their utility? I'm getting somewhat tired of knee-jerk nerfs, or knerfs, as I call them.

On a side note, thanks for making my Arcane Eruption 50% less effective.

Also, there goes my only use for Equinox. But maim is so scalable, stoybot! Yeah, right; it will be, when the range is increased.

All true, but one of the issues I see is the ragdoll effect of Tentacle.  It be less of a hassle to have some way of keeping the enemy in place so you can kill them and still gain the loot buff other than having enemies flailing around like mad making it harder for players to kill the captured enemies themselves.

All true, but one of the issues I see is the ragdoll effect of Tentacle.  It be less of a hassle to have some way of keeping the enemy in place so you can kill them and still gain the loot buff other than having enemies flailing around like mad making it harder for players to kill the captured enemies themselves.

Yup, that's why I said you need a shotgun with a decent spread or a good AoE weapon like the Tonkor.

Since OP wanted suggestions on how to improve Hydro, here's how Swarm can become much better in my opinion.

1. Spawn a tentacle for each enemy in the target area upon casting. Instead of ragdolling them like crazy, have the tentacles attack everything in a small AoE and freeze/hold the enemies that are hit dealing damage over time. Call it Tentacle Sting.

2. Allow for the deactivation of the ability, which would explode the tentacles and deal the burst damage that is now applied during the tentacle spawn (apply it at the end instead of the beginning).

3. Lower activation cost slightly, introduce energy drain per second. Maybe drain Hydro's energy faster relative to how many enemies are "stung."

This change won't tie Hydroid to duration, thus allowing him to use his Tidal Surge, which is a pretty good ability. At the same time, you'll have to pick your battles. Do you want a large range that would be suitable for targetting widespread enemies yet allowing more of them to bypass your tentacles (as new ones come in), or a small impenetrable wall for holding down corridors and whatnot.

Since you can toggle the ability on and off, your allies can dispatch stung enemies with precision, as opposed to having an AoE nuker spam its abilities, hoping enough enemies would be caught by the tentacles for the extra loot to drop. Furthermore, the burst damage upon deactivation solves the issue of low vs high duration. You can activate and deactivate for more damage, but higher energy cost - or let the tentacles stay around for longer periods of time

Finally, the increased reliability of the tentacles will allow the Hydro to get a bit more kills/minute on lower level nodes, thus offseting, to a degree, the nerfed loot drop rate.

Yup, that's why I said you need a shotgun with a decent spread or a good AoE weapon like the Tonkor.

Since OP wanted suggestions on how to improve Hydro, here's how Swarm can become much better in my opinion.

1. Spawn a tentacle for each enemy in the target area upon casting. Instead of ragdolling them like crazy, have the tentacles attack everything in a small AoE and freeze/hold the enemies that are hit dealing damage over time. Call it Tentacle Sting.

2. Allow for the deactivation of the ability, which would explode the tentacles and deal the burst damage that is now applied during the tentacle spawn (apply it at the end instead of the beginning).

3. Lower activation cost slightly, introduce energy drain per second. Maybe drain Hydro's energy faster relative to how many enemies are "stung."

This change won't tie Hydroid to duration, thus allowing him to use his Tidal Surge, which is a pretty good ability. At the same time, you'll have to pick your battles. Do you want a large range that would be suitable for targetting widespread enemies yet allowing more of them to bypass your tentacles (as new ones come in), or a small impenetrable wall for holding down corridors and whatnot.

Since you can toggle the ability on and off, your allies can dispatch stung enemies with precision, as opposed to having an AoE nuker spam its abilities, hoping enough enemies would be caught by the tentacles for the extra loot to drop. Furthermore, the burst damage upon deactivation solves the issue of low vs high duration. You can activate and deactivate for more damage, but higher energy cost - or let the tentacles stay around for longer periods of time

Finally, the increased reliability of the tentacles will allow the Hydro to get a bit more kills/minute on lower level nodes, thus offseting, to a degree, the nerfed loot drop rate.

Would the Second Proposal of Tentacle Swarm also be a viable option?:

• TENACLE SWARM GETS BUFFED UP A BIT WHERE IT DOES DIFFERENT EFFECTS AND DAMAGE BASED ON ITS ATTACKS
  • 1st Tentacle Attack: a radial swipe attack staggering all enemies within its area
  • 2nd Tentacle Attack: a slam attack that will down any enemy within its attack but deals additional more damage if the tentacle lands directly on an enemy
  • Effect on Pilfering Swarm: Pilfering Swarm now gives a debuff to any enemy that is hit with a tentacle allowing additional 100% drop rate as long as Tentacle Swarm is active.
  • Range increases the size of the tentacles which increases the tentacles' attack ranges but Range Mods cannot effect the spawn radius of the Tentacles

Would the Second Proposal of Tentacle Swarm also be a viable option?:

I like the radial slam/knockdown idea and it may be a lot more thematic/look cooler but it doesn't fix the reliability issue of Swarm. It's too random to offer proper CC and the duration dependence/inability to cancel makes it even worse with the Pilfering change. Being able to adust your range to fit your needs is quite useful for Hydro. With your proposal there's no downside to running large range. I think the reverse is better. Fixed AoE radius and adjustable spawn range.

Like your ideas especialy the 1. tentacle swarm version.

Maybe the change of pillefiring swarm will wield good hydroid changes.

Thanks. After this hotfix, I thought it was best to let people discuss possible changes for Hydroid's kit.

Any other suggestions anyone else has?