Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has A Game Ever Lived Up To Your Hype?

TheErebus.

I would also like to make note that I am not a Call of duty player, just in case you think it's halo vs cod related, as a matter of fact, I despise all of the cod games, because of two reasons, 1 the market is extremely oversaturated with modern FPS games, and 2 it's literally the same game each year just in a different setting and has been tweaked, but is still extremely scripted

I got a better comparison for Skyrim.

Shadow Warrior. 

The game features melee combat at its finest (for a first person viewpoint), good dodging mechanics and a fantastic heavy/light attack system (Also Wang), and while Skyrim is open world, a certain critic said it best:

"Skyrim is as wide as an ocean, but has the depth of a kiddy pool" (I'm paraphrasing of course). 

Dragon's Dogma isn't as wide, but has a lot of depth (Especially in Bitterblack Isle).

Idk, I haven't spent enough time in Skyrim to give it a proper review. And that alone should knock it down a few notches considering I still have more hours in DD than warframe.

IT WAS DEVELOPED LIKE 17 YEARS AGO. That's an opinion. I see it as better than any 'modern' FPS.

Yes, as an RTS.

DOOM was made like 22 years ago and it still holds up very well. Halo CE...not so much.

Also FTFY

Pretty much. Despite being the only console FPS at the time of launch with vehicular combat (I could be wrong, it's the only one I knew of), Halo CE was really lacking in terms of content. Half of the campaigns weapons weren't usable till halo 2. Ratchet and Clank 3 had better multiplayer, shots fired.

No, I cannot. Because the issues with Skyrim are issues from other games, and people seem to excuse these faults for ridiculous reasons.

The story is boring and incredibly predictable and the combat is a huge mess of stiff design. And when you have the combat being a clunky, stiff mess then the game is incredibly flawed. There are other FPM (First person melee) games out there that beat Skyrim to a pulp with their combat (Shadow Warrior and Chivalry are fine example, hell even Dying Light has a better combat system than Skyrim).

The same applies with Fallout 3. I was so excited for it, and then when I played it (originally on my PS3, then onto my PC) the gunplay was absolutely dreadful. Same with New Vegas.

To be fair aren't those games newer then Skyrim?

Especially Dying Light. It's like comparing PS1 specs to PS4 specs, it doesn't work.

To be fair aren't those games newer then Skyrim?

Especially Dying Light. It's like comparing PS1 specs to PS4 specs, it doesn't work.

They may be newer, but Bethesda has years upon years of experience with tons of money and resources (around 85 million in budget cost)

Shadow Warrior was developed by a group of 75 people with a much lower budget cost (around 2 years after Skyrim)

Chivalry was released in 2012. 1 year after Skyrim (which isn't a huge amount of time).

And yet the combat is 10x what Skyrim has now. 

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

They may be newer, but Bethesda has years upon years of experience with tons of money and resources (around 85 million in budget cost)

Shadow Warrior was developed by a group of 75 people with a much lower budget cost (around 2 years after Skyrim)

Chivalry was released in 2012. 1 year after Skyrim (which isn't a huge amount of time).

And yet the combat is 10x what Skyrim has now.

And Chivalry's all about PVP, PVP is all about the combat.

And Chivalry's all about PVP, PVP is all about the combat.

Skyrim has you killing all sorts of creatures, humans with swords/hammer/axes. 

So what if it's PvP? Swordplay is swordplay and in Skyrim, the swordplay is lousy.

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

Skyrim has you killing all sorts of creatures, humans with swords/hammer/axes.

So what if it's PvP? Swordplay is swordplay and in Skyrim, the swordplay is lousy.

And in comparison, which has more things to do, more places to explore? I'm pretty sure if you gave Bethesda an assignment that's similar to PVP games like TF2 and Chivalry they could definitely pull it off because they need to focus on much much less than compared to making games like Skyrim and FO.

And in comparison, which has more things to do, more places to explore? I'm pretty sure if you gave Bethesda an assignment that's similar to PVP games like TF2 and Chivalry they could definitely pull it off because they need to focus on much much less than compared to making games like Skyrim and FO.

And pray tell, what happens when you explore these places?

You get attacked.

Name me 3 places in Skyrim (aside from Towns) where you explore areas and do not get attacked by anything/doesn't have combat involved. 

Combat is one of the most important things in an action-adventure RPG, and Skyrim fails at making the combat any better than what it was before. It doesn't matter if it's not PvP, or you have places to explore, it's an action-adventure RPG with lousy combat.

And pray tell, what happens when you explore these places?

You get attacked.

Name me 3 places in Skyrim (aside from Towns) where you explore areas and do not get attacked by anything/doesn't have combat involved.

Combat is one of the most important things in an action-adventure RPG, and Skyrim fails at making the combat any better than what it was before. It doesn't matter if it's not PvP, or you have places to explore, it's an action-adventure RPG with lousy combat.

The point wasn't it being PVP but what people focus heavily on in a PVP game is combat and pretty much just combat. How about an RPG? Lots more than just combat. Like say a racing game has great feel, control and looks to the cars. You compare that game to say an open world game like GTA you can't complain that the former has better driving than the latter because the latter wasn't completely focused and designed for the same purpose as the former.

The point wasn't it being PVP but what people focus heavily on in a PVP game is combat and pretty much just combat. How about an RPG? Lots more than just combat. Like say a racing game has great feel, control and looks to the cars. You compare that game to say an open world game like GTA you can't complain that the former has better driving than the latter because the latter wasn't completely focused and designed for the same purpose as the former.

The point is that these games were made with swordplay in mind. 

It doesn't matter if the focus was PvP, it doesn't matter if you can do other things (to which you still didn't bother answering my question, so I see it as you not being to able to show that there are areas where combat is not to be expected), what matters is that these games with less money and people working on it, were able to make their combat better than what an 85 million dollar project with tons of people behind it was able to make.

And instead of just focusing on Chivalry, Shadow Warrior is purely based around PvE, yet the swordplay is better than Skyrim. At least it has dodging mechanics. 

The point is that these games were made with swordplay in mind.

It doesn't matter if the focus was PvP, it doesn't matter if you can do other things (to which you still didn't bother answering my question, so I see it as you not being to able to show that there are areas where combat is not to be expected), what matters is that these games with less money and people working on it, were able to make their combat better than what an 85 million dollar project with tons of people behind it was able to make.

And instead of just focusing on Chivalry, Shadow Warrior is purely based around PvE, yet the swordplay is better than Skyrim. At least it has dodging mechanics.

I haven't really looked into much about shadow warrior but isn't its real main focus about sword play?

Okay, yeah, the sword. There was no Battle Rifle in CE, or Beam rifle. The Flamethrower was cut, but made it into CE for PC as multiplayer weapon. As did the FRG.

The flamethrower was in CE just not usable in the game, basically a decoration, battle rifle and beam rifle were used by NPCs in certain missions. Not usable also.