Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Swords are a joke!

LionShard

In current state swords are quite useless. Altho your first skana seems like an ideal melee weapon, with a good risk vs reward system, it failsto be useful, once you are done with the first planet. Furax ignores armor, has a good attack speed and has an insane powerattack, while swords damage is close to nothing damage half through the missions. The fact, that melee weapons don't get as much exp, as firearms does not help much either.

The variety in swords does not help much either. There is no best one: all swords feel the same and are used in the same way (excluding Plasma and Dark ones, which are still inferior to Furax due to lack of armor ignoring). Right now swords are good only for infested, while Furax, Scindo and Frago are useful right out of the box vs all factions. Seeing, that skana is one of the trademark weapons of Tenno, I am utterly disappointed in it's combat value.

Right now, the only fair way to deal with this that I see, is to attach armor ignore perk to every single sword, which on the other hand is not enought ( if you think of all swords work and look alike issue). I would personally like to see a very diverse swordplay depending on each sword with signature moves for every single one (I.E beheading your enemy, slicing enemy in half on Y axis instead of X or at least completely different powerattacks with unique animations, like flurry).

I do not really want to mention any other universes or games, but I really wish for melee to be like in WH40K universe, where it is also a high risk vs reward option.

P.S So, what do you guys think? ; )

Furax's cone is a lot smaller as well, you must be much more accurate with it than the Skana. This may not be much of a problem most of the time, but when things get hectic they become very hard to use and hit with.

See? Balance!

Cronus is an upgrade over the Skana, Heat Blade is an upgrade over the Cronus. So yes, there are 'better' swords.

But, really, against Grineer/etc. you should be using Charge Attacks as much as possible - it's only against Infested that you should be spamming basic strikes. At high ranks you can chain charge attacks very rapidly, and tear through groups of enemies with relative ease. Does it take a bit of thinking to avoid being stunned and having your charge broken? Yes. But swords have always been a 'skill' sort of weapon over 'brute force' weapons like hammers and axes.

I haven't tried the Bo or the Furax recently, but prior to 5.4 they were not very effective against Infested.

I've heard mention the furax also requires more aiming than most melee weapons as you apparently just punch the small area around your aim reticule. Swords have a sweeping attack that hits the closest target to the aim reticule caught in the swing path. Also some weapons are capable of hitting more than 1 target at a time per melee attack. Plus others have more reach.

Right now swords are good only for infested, while Furax, Scindo and Frago are useful right out of the box vs all factions.

Swords are best vs light/no armor Targets

All Melee Weapons are similar effective vs. Medium Armored and shielded

Blunt Weapons are best vs. Heavy Armored Targets

Put Armor piercing Mods on your swords...tha't what mods are for... to compensate or buff.

Cronus is an upgrade over the Skana, Heat Blade is an upgrade over the Cronus. So yes, there are 'better' swords.

But, really, against Grineer/etc. you should be using Charge Attacks as much as possible - it's only against Infested that you should be spamming basic strikes. At high ranks you can chain charge attacks very rapidly, and tear through groups of enemies with relative ease. Does it take a bit of thinking to avoid being stunned and having your charge broken? Yes. But swords have always been a 'skill' sort of weapon over 'brute force' weapons like hammers and axes.

I haven't tried the Bo or the Furax recently, but prior to 5.4 they were not very effective against Infested.

bo staffs got a new combo and now ignore armor, like the furrax.

bo staffs > skana/cronus.

Furax's cone is a lot smaller as well, you must be much more accurate with it than the Skana. This may not be much of a problem most of the time, but when things get hectic they become very hard to use and hit with.

You are still using Furax in melee and as a person who uses Furax a lot, I have to disagree

It'd be nice if it was possible to switch one of your guns to a second melee weapon.

Or both guns if you want.

This would be excellent.

For now, I bind left mouse to my sword and us my gun as a back-up (mouse 4)! It kind of feels like I'm allowed to choose my own melee focused load out this way!

As a person who owns every melee weapon in the game as of now, I have to disagree with melee being useless. Melee is my "Balls, I am reloading, but there is Shockwave MOA in my face!"-solution, my "Switching weapons now would allow the Napalm to shoot again!"-avoidance, my "I need to knock that heavy down and get this situation under control!"-tool and my "Did you SEE that?!"-toy.

It just doesn't work as a primary. But then again, this isn't Dynasty Warrior, eh?

But, really, against Grineer/etc. you should be using Charge Attacks as much as possible - it's only against Infested that you should be spamming basic strikes.

not entirely true, with armor pen mods and some crit chance/damage or a pure swordway you can swing like there's no tomorrow and grin.

Swords can still headshot which still does a ton of damage to grineer since their heads aren't actually armored. Corpus seem to go down to normal melee attacks almost as fast as infected while using a sword. The Moa's take a couple more hits due to their shield.

It just doesn't work as a primary.

It certainly does. It might be a little dull after a while with the lack of current depth to the melee system, but I've made some perfect runs relevant to my gear's level with melee only.

In fact, I bind melee to left mouse and run with it as my primary in all my games lately. It's perfectly viable.

Edited by Zakalwe

Allow me to reiterate: It doesn't work flawlessly as a primary. Corpus missions with flying drones, you can kick your sword to the curb, for example, unless it is about to rain and they fly low. My point is, melee is a complimentary item to the gunplay, and if you treat it as a primary and ignore the gunplay, you will end up getting shot alot. Especially on lower levels, you cannot pursue an all melee concept without taking a beating. But if you mix it with the gunplay, it's an asset.

I have to say I love swords more than the Furax. I have a lvl 30 Cronus and it kicks &#! on every enemy, not only against infecteds. I can kill enemies in three hits when I'm doing planets such as Earth and Neptune, but it doesn't matter because my sword has a high fire rate.

About the Furax? It's good the way it is. I have a lvl 10 (still too low to actually see what it can do), but from what I've seen it isn't that OP when compared with swords. I have noticed it has a high charge damage but it takes some time to fully charge and it can miss that easily. The normal attacks may be fast and ignore armor, but they are weak and have a low range.

These are just my thoughts.

-------