Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Swords are a joke!

LionShard

Using heavely modded heat sword on Grineer lvl 30 took roughly 19 hits. You still call this balanced vs furax, bo and pretty much every other melee weapon type.? My main concern was that I have to level my sword like crazy just so that it could be compared to other melee weapon types, which are useful right out of the box. The armor Ignore on them is insane and illogical, since blunt weapon in my opinion can really CUT THROUGH THE ARMOR. It feels like im beating grineer with a STICK instead of a sword. Also, I have talked about how all swords feel the same and my suggestion of new moves, yet noone really answered to all the ideas. Right now melee with swords is INFERIOR to gunfire and to other types of melee except daggers.

I do not really undersatnd, why most of the people answer to the title of the post insead of it's content. READ THE TEXT BEFORE ANSWERING TO IT

Well he is sorta right. Skana like Excalibur warframe are the poster things of Warframe. They should be sorta stronger. I mean all weapons are different off the bat. But seriously Skana's are weak after the first or second planet. That's the reason I abandoned the Skana sadly after first three planets: even with proper mods, it took forever to kill enemies if you ran out of bullets. Fellow player LionShard puts up quite a good point: Skana and swords should be stronger to be on the same ladder with Furax and other such.

Well he is sorta right. Skana like Excalibur warframe are the poster things of Warframe. They should be sorta stronger. I mean all weapons are different off the bat. But seriously Skana's are weak after the first or second planet. That's the reason I abandoned the Skana sadly after first three planets: even with proper mods, it took forever to kill enemies if you ran out of bullets. Fellow player LionShard puts up quite a good point: Skana and swords should be stronger to be on the same ladder with Furax and other such.

I agree. I get this is supposed to be a online TPS with rpg elements, but it's pretty silly for the swords to have linear weapon progression rather than just choices.

Skana is mostly outclassed by every other melee weapon. You start with it so its to be expected imo. The Lato you start with is outclassed by any other pistol. The MK1 Braton you start with is outclassed by every other rifle. I think eventually all weapons will have a similar linear progression utilizing the player rank market unlock system. It's just that the devs are having more fun brainstorming new melee weapon designs over making new guns to sit on that rank 2 tier with the gorgon.

Skana is mostly outclassed by every other melee weapon. You start with it so its to be expected imo. The Lato you start with is outclassed by any other pistol. The MK1 Braton you start with is outclassed by every other rifle. I think eventually all weapons will have a similar linear progression utilizing the player rank market unlock system. It's just that the devs are having more fun brainstorming new melee weapon designs over making new guns to sit on that rank 2 tier with the gorgon.

Again, a person who did not read the topic :\

Buy some glasses, dude.

The armor Ignore on them is insane and illogical, since blunt weapon in my opinion can really CUT THROUGH THE ARMOR.

It's really not. You see, early plate armour? That stuff made you really hard to kill with a sword. Swords simply didn't have enough weight over a large enough area, so they'd slide or deflect off armour plating. You had to find the chinks in the armour and thrust your sword through it in order to injure your foe, or you had to use something that exerts a huge amount of force over a very small area - like a crossbow bolt or bullet - or a very large area - like a mace or hammer.

See, blunt weapons do not have this problem with armour like swords do, they do not rely upon cutting flesh to cause wounds. They use impact force to liquefy organs and shatter bones without causing wounds, and this concussive impact force transfers through solid armour much better than you might expect. The only way to reduce the risk of injury from such an impact is lots and lots of padding.

Modern 'bulletproof' vests have a similar issue. Whilst they can indeed stop a bullet from tearing your insides up and making them into meat confetti, they do little to reduce the impact force behind that bullet, meaning that an impact against a vest can still cause severe bruising and possibly break your ribs! Ain't life fun?

So in other words big, heavy, blunt, brute force weapons kicking the crap out of heavy, rigid armour is 1) how it always worked, and 2) physics.

I am also of the understanding that many melee weapon stats are placeholders and due for finetuning.

Ed: Take in mind... I'm not saying swords shouldn't be rebalanced a bit and made more effective against heavily armoured foes (I don't think it's unreasonable to expect super future swords to be better at cutting armour than historical swords) but blunt weapons have always had an inherent advantage in this field.

Ed2: Tidying up some of my wording and fixing a minor typo or two.

Edited by Arcalane

Come to think of it, the Fragor does look like a couple of telephone books on a handle... Slick.

I can never unsee it. You have permanently ruined that weapon for me.

Well, not ruined. I'm just going to laugh every time I think about it now when I see someone using it.

Again, a person who did not read the topic :\

Buy some glasses, dude.

Look a person who replies to my posts like a prick without reading the entire thread and using his brain matter to figure out who I'm responding to because I didn't bother quoting them.

Edited by UkyoSonoda

Melee as it stands is a useful fallback in certain situations if you don't specialize in it or a perfectly serviceable primary weapon if you do. Seems like a pretty good balance to me, and should get even better when some of the crazier gun mods get sorted out. I can promise you it's viable to use almost (damn ospreys and cameras) nothing but melee in even the hardest missions in the game.

I almost only use melee in this game and i can kill all normal enemies in one fast hit because i use mods on my warframe that give me 117% bonus melee damage and some armor penetration mods on my melee weapon, so... NO swords are not useless, you just need to build your char right

Edited by Plagueheart

Another thing to note about swords vs Grineer.

I've found that while it doesn't appear you can aim your melee attack with a sword up or down. You can score headshots on enemies if you line the cross hair up horizonally during the vertical strike making that grineer armor kinda pointless.

I almost only use melee in this game and i can kill all normal enemies in one fast hit because i use mods on my warframe that give me 117% bonus melee damage and some armor penetration mods on my melee weapon, so... NO swords are not useless, you just need to build your char right

Regarding your mods, I have found so far only one (17%) which lost its power after a patch and baecame a mod without any stats O.O

Personally, I really like using swords, mainly because i just started playing and don't have much else, and because they give you 2 very important things: "reach and flexibility".

In WARFRAME melee reach does not mean a thing. And how are swords "flexible" O.O

All melee weapons in the game are fine, swords are not as weak as your making them out to be. I havnt used the furax or bo weapon yet but currently use a cronus lvl13 and one charge attack will either kill or take out a large amount of hp on lvl 25+ enemies. If the furax can kill them in one hit thats fine but like a lot of people have said the range and hit box on swords is a lot bigger. They are balanced in a good way so i think you shouldnt worry about them, and as for your idea i dont think new combo moves for melee weapons should be added for a while. New content such as different map tiles are a lot more important at this point (unless you like every mission being on the same ship :P)