Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival And Life Support

XBlackLotusX

Who feels survival is in a pretty good place atm? with DE thinking about making LS drops less frequent i cant help but think this would be a step back ive been around for a while as im sure many of you have but lets look back in time for the people who aint been around as long as others

survival missions used to be a nekros's playground regardless of if they could shoot in a straight line or what lvl they where or even if they where good at playing a nekros you could join ANY survival you wanted sounds good right?

yeah dat cool bro dat real cool! i hear crouds of people thinking

but you havent seen things man all you saw in recruiting was people saying T# survival LF nekros and hes a fun frame but hes a workhorse for survivals and he has to be played in a very boring way (ability spam) what does this have to do with making survivals drop less LS? EVERYTHING

if LS is harder to get people will take the easy road out its not very unpradictable nekros will be sat on a throne he never wanted again, it will also force people to stay in a group (which im not oposed to i actualy like the idea of, but when you get in that group who dont cair and run to 4 corners of the map you know you have failed befor you have started which is not fun)

and im more of a fan of traditional survival modes so this may be swaying my judgement but given the name i think if i dont die to the enemys anything else is just there to be a metaphorical brick wall.

TL;DR

Shair opinions on less LS drops

If it happens Nekros is gunna be a thing again

If you run into a disorganised team you'le die from lack of LS

^i know its intended but it will only add to the vauban camping strat in survivals

make it a real survival mode, no life supports air crap and just hoardes of enemies getting a level each minute spent till you cant withstand it just like every other game's survival mode.

it was fine the way it was and actually the only game mode that didn't made me yawn or just outright sleepy. this YOQ has become  the YON year of nightmare because nothing is enjoyable anymore literally.

Edited by ranks21

so, you want to force a nekros to only spam desecrate and get yell at if he use something else? He's not a slave =/

thats basicly what would happen if they make life suport harder to get in survivals personaly i was glad when LS became easy mode to get because it opened up more group versatility and made the game a little more interesting

They should just redo the whole thing along with other missions regardless. Missions need to be more dynamic and lively.

i dont think thats the case survival modes have always been about 1 thing

"im bored i dont know what to do and i want to kill a ton of enemys" there are a few missions that add complexity but very few people play them rescue spy and raids. i agree a nice balance is good but plain out saying "oh we need to make the player do more More MORE isent gunna be the best thing complexity doesent = fun for everyone.

Edited by XBlackLotusX

Life support is there to prohibit you from hiding in a corner and doing nothing (Limbo press 2 to win?). That "metaphorical wall" must stay in place. If you can come up with a way around it without allowing a solo Loki to glitch behind a wall and afk for a few days and get all the rewards, then we can talk about removing the life support system.

Edit: Punctuation errors fixed

Edited by Zachatoo

i dont think thats the case survival modes have always been about 1 thing

"im bored i dont know what to do and i want to kill a ton of enemys" there are a few missions that add complexity but very few people play them rescue spy and raids. i agree a nice balance is good but plain out saying "oh we need to make the player do more More MORE isent gunna be the best thing complexity doesent = fun for everyone.

I never said anything about complexity though, I said it needs to be more dynamic and lively. Not everyone plays survival for the fun of it, a lot of people do it for rewards and end up having do do multiple runs of 40 minutes and up, which as you can imagine gets boring.

My idea of fixing that is to add diversity, but that is a whole-nother discussion.

Edited by Vaxillian

Life support is there to prohibit you from hiding in a corner and doing nothing (Limbo press 2 to win?). That "metaphorical wall" must stay in place. If you can come up with a way around it without allowing a solo Loki to glitch behind a wall and afk for a few days and get all the rewards, then we can talk about removing the life support system.

i understand why its there in this game and i dident exspect somone to take that comment as me wanting LS removed but on the other hand i can punch so many holes in that theory of "it stops you from hiding in a corner"

Vauban in a tunnel with vortex

Limbo lowest range bubble max duration places cataclism over the vortex and banishes everyone to the void

Loki Radial disarm build forces enemys to run into the void / vortex

nekros LS

this would basicly make the hiding in a corner scenario complealtly possible even with the worst LS drop rate possible to just sustain avarage teams 

if your talking about the ability to afk then you would still need to be there to use rift walk so the avrage person wouldent wanna play standing still simulator 2015 while watching a timer

but this isent a problem because i agree the LS system needs to be there but it doesent need to put presure on people because it would limit the group combos you could take in and also make it a less relaxing game mode.

I never said anything about complexity though, I said it needs to be more dynamic and lively. Not everyone plays survival for the fun of it, a lot of people do it for rewards and end up having do do multiple runs of 40 minutes and up, which as you can imagine gets boring.

My idea of fixing that is to add diversity, but that is a whole-nother discussion.

i agree but thats just a case of spliting the rewards into 2 diferent mission  types imo every prime componant should have 2 drop locations one in an EXT/Cap/MD/Sab and one in a INT/SUR/DEF this would solve most problems to do with bordom from long missions because you would be able chose your preferance of mission length eather a quick hit 5-10 min mission or a 20-40-60 long haul mission

as somone who likes survivals and def i offten find the reverse anoying having to go into short missions to farm where there are bairly any enemys and you leave befor you start but as you said this is for another discussion.

i agree but thats just a case of spliting the rewards into 2 diferent mission  types imo every prime componant should have 2 drop locations one in an EXT/Cap/MD/Sab and one in a INT/SUR/DEF this would solve most problems to do with bordom from long missions because you would be able chose your preferance of mission length eather a quick hit 5-10 min mission or a 20-40-60 long haul mission

as somone who likes survivals and def i offten find the reverse anoying having to go into short missions to farm where there are bairly any enemys and you leave befor you start but as you said this is for another discussion.

I can agree to that. But, hopefully it won't have to come to that with the new starchart.

But people will still do long defense/survival missions in the coid to get junk prime parts for ducats.

make it a real survival mode, no life supports air crap and just hoardes of enemies getting a level each minute spent till you cant withstand it just like every other game's survival mode.

it was fine the way it was and actually the only game mode that didn't made me yawn or just outright sleepy. this YOQ has become  the YON year of nightmare because nothing is enjoyable anymore literally.

exactly this i enjoy one mode now lol one. i will not name it due to fear of the Steve

The T survivals I've run lately have been inundated with LS drops.

Never had to use an actual life support .

Previously the problem was that there wasn't enough enemies, so fewer eneies meant fewer LS drops.

Now that we have more enemies (which is a GOOD thing) we're getting more LS drops.

I see this as more of a correction based on a previous fix.

It was getting a bit too easy though : getting to 40 minutes into a T2 while your ranking half your gear and you still only fire one off at the end to extract .. that's kinda not the way it's meant to be.

This sounds like it'll be more fun, more of a challenge .. back to the 'Push Your Luck' scenario, which is what it should be.

Edited by Sh0ck-Wave

How to fix survival, a guide:

1) remove the life support system entirely

2) reduce map to small room/hallway, no extraction point

3) increase enemy numbers along with levels every minute

4) die painfully and have Ordis take away your dead, lifeless body at the end of the mission, with some loot duct-taped* to it

*duct-tape has to be crafted before the mission, and carried like any piece of gear, but it activated automatically. (primed duct-tape for double loot??)

Edited by pepsi-tan

Survival is the only mode I play for actual fun and I'd rather just play it with no LS for no rewards as I've already maxed everything and just want to  free roam and kill endlessly without returning to Liset... ever. If I could select that somehow before starting the mission it's all I'd do. If I could free room on planets I probably wouldn't even run missions, just parkour the enviroment.

Survival is the only mode close to just running free and enjoying the characters without being nagged by some pointless annoying task. The life support is just a tedious annoyance when solo and a non-point when in a group. We run out of air.. we have to restart... big deal lol I wish there was a restart option right at the fail or exit point so we didn't have to return to liset as that is the only thing I fear in this game... Having to recruit and form a new squad lol, that's the biggest challenge in this game.  If the 2 choices are leave it alone or entertain a few by adding some annoying mechanism I vote to leave it alone and make a new mission type.

If people want to play with different "mission mechanics" DE should just add more variant game modes (or make missions more configurable) and have them alternate in different node locations which would also reduce the emergence of draco/viver/egate nodes.

LS is in place to prevent campers

But LS is also the thing that makes survival so boring.

Solution: Anti-camp spray!

- What I mean by "anti-camp spray" is a gaming mechanism that basically flushes players out if they get too comfortable in one place for too long.

- If a player stays in a room (or location) for too long (say 5 minutes), the games response is to spawn SUPER units. (Energy Leach Bombard Manic Nullifier Eximus for example). These units have one goal: wreck the Tenno at all costs.

- Tenno have the choice to stay and fight or flee. Gaining enough distance between the player(s) and the super units will cause the super units to despawn. Staying and fighting will put the Tenno at a higher risk of death, but grants a fun challenge for players who want a little more challenge from the game.

- These super units could have heightened, or even exclusive drops.

- Super units replaces life support entirely.

- Super units get compoundingly tougher and tougher, each time the Tenno triggers them. Provides a very high risk vs. reward scenario, where attempted camping could mean instant death by a very powerful foe.

Life support is to remove camping, some people say. Funny, considering the most effective way to play void survival is to camp.

This is why DE is reducing the amount of LS drops

But Lifesupport is boring.... That is why I suggested something that could reward both active play and punish passive and AFK play.

Could always put random Mini Missions instead of LS that helps advance operatives for quicker loot, or a way of sabotaging enemy advance to control their level up rate a bit. I mean.. people could still camp but it wouldn't be ideal.

LS hinders the mode since you cannot control the drops unless you bring in a hydroid/nekros and since the air drops have been reduced it is slowly going back to that meta of needing a nekros/hydroid just so you can get 2 C rotations.

Survival atm is not a true endless survival, take out the LS it is and if people want to camp let them why is it so bad that players want to play the game in a different way to you?

If it worrys you that much split survival into 2 modes, one with LS the other without and be done with it.