Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extra Shield "armour"?

MurderHoboDinosaur

Using a Shield Restore will give you an Overshield of over 1000 bonus shields. It's sufficient to allow screw-ups to not result in your death even when dealing with most high level enemies.

There are also more than a few abilities that exist for the purpose of mitigating all damage, which includes shields. With, y'know... Link being one of the big ones. And you've got a Trinity usericon and all that. o 3o

Using a Shield Restore will give you an Overshield of over 1000 bonus shields. It's sufficient to allow screw-ups to not result in your death even when dealing with most high level enemies.

There are also more than a few abilities that exist for the purpose of mitigating all damage, which includes shields. With, y'know... Link being one of the big ones. And you've got a Trinity usericon and all that. o 3o

That need specific resources and frames not all players have. And I said before, no matter how high your shields are they all go down quickly.

If I have a Zephyr, theres no point in shields because they go down quick.

Go to Ceres with a Volt, see how long your shields last if you aren't using the Energy Shield or restores. My point is shields go down laughably fast.

I have another idea that could also help the quality of life for Shield mods. I don't have any concrete numbers for my idea since I've only through of it now:

Mod: Hexshield (Referring to tradional Sci-Fi Hexagon/Hive shaped shielding)
Effect: Weaves shileding into layers and increases the density of shields allowing them to absorb more damage when they fall:

Introduces a shield gate sort of mechanism.  This means when your shields hit 0 they can still block a certain amount of the last hits damage before fading - basically you can almost never be killed by something as long as you have a shield to begin with and can negate atleast your health worth of damage, the gate can protect you from insta-kills that certain enemies - for example bombards who can easily smash health and shields off at the same time.

In this example say you have 300 Shields and 100 Health.  Let's pretend Hexshield gates 150 damage unranked.  If the enemy hits you for 400 damage.  The shield takes 300 of those points, but the shield gate would deny the further 100 damage to health, resulting in you only losing your shield and not health.

Now let's pretend you're damaged and have 150 shields  and 100 health, you take the same hit for 400 damage.  150 damage is dealt to the shield, but still 250 remains.  The Hexashield gates you from 150, but the other 100 still pass through, effectively allowing you to lose health - and in this case die.

Basically shield gating could save you if you have close to full shields and you take a hit from those pesky enemies that take out your shield and 90% of your health with 1 rocket.  If you can imagine this mod negating 1500 damage at max it would effectively mean you can't be one hit killed by enemies, at the very least.

It wouldn't be useful against enemies like heavy gunners who rely on small weak shots at rapid fire rates to deal damage - but would be immensly effective against bombards and other enemies who fire heavy but slow - and if an Archwing variant were made, the damn Hellions who can drop max stat players in one hit.    Bear in mind the gate only protects you from the hit that took your shield off, if you get hit even a nanosecond later by another attack it won't do crap.  So if you have two rockets on their way and you get protected by one, the other will still kill you.

Could be easy really:
R1: Gate 150 damage.
R2: Gate 300 damage.
R3. Gate 600 damage.
R4: Gate 1200 damage
R5: Gate 1500 damage.

Since in engame enemies can deal well over 1500 a hit I think it could be a useful mod, but certainly not out of the world broken or cheap.  It would just be supplemental to shields if you were willing to sacrifice a mod slot for it.

In order to prevent brokenness of having the gate reapply upon the second you get 1 shield back, make it so the gate only recharges alongside the shield - in order to get your gate back, you also have to get your shields back to max.

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

But Shields are fine. Especially now that Overshields are a thing. Double so now that Overshield-granting Augments are also a thing.

You just have to realize you have to adopt a different playstyle than face-tanking everything with Lifestrike as a Health-based Warframe.

As I said - Shields regenerate. Health doesn't. Make sure you allow them to do so.