The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Catalyst 15.7.1/15.8, Windows 10 And Dx11 The Perfect Storm?

CodyDies

Last week I made the decision to dump Nvidia for AMD and picked up an R9 390 to replace my GTX 970.  I'm a streamer and while streaming I also record my gameplay using OBS and there seems to be some major issues with this game.  I'm not 100% certain on how to recreate the issue, but I will say that the crash happens most frequently in the Void while OBS is running in some fashion.  When doing Void missions while streaming, my video driver crashes and freezes the video in Warframe, but I can still hear the game and my inputs to the game.  This issue also happens when I'm not running OBS, but it's significantly more frequent when I am running OBS.  See the specs below a long with the troubleshooting I've used thus far.

Link to specs:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r8KCXL

Steps taken already:

-Checked Temps and Voltages, everything is right where it should be at idle and full load.

-Stress tested running 3D Mark standard tests.  Everything checked out with no issue.

-Other games seem to work flawlessly.

-BIOS and all drivers are up to date. 

-Turning off DX11 and running Warframe in DX10 seems to have prevented this so far, but ideally I would like to run the game in DX11.

-I've tweaked the video settings here and there, but nothing seems to fix the crashing. 

The crash seems to have no pattern other than it's most common on Void missions and at Tenno Relays.  It's infuriating because it throws a wrench in my stream to have to close my game and reopen the game.  It also sucks because I don't get any rewards for the mission unless a person tha I'm with gets to extraction while I mash my keyboard using only sounds to survive. 

Sorry for the scattered information.  If you need additional details, then please let me know.

Edited by CodyDiesGame

Have you tried use Raptr? I found issues using OBS, but I have both cards GTX 980 and a ATI R9 270x and I found using Shadowplay, is better than OBS for Nvidia, and Raptr For AMD

Raptr is as ShadowPlay but for AMD, I guess you already might know about it.

But I find more better those both for record offline ones, and streaming I guess is fine OBS, except maybe you can go also using their own sofwares for streaming.

Based on your description of the issue, this sounds to be a TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) that failed. We've recently added the option to limit the Max Framerate in the game client; if you're not currently using it, or a 3rd party program to limit your framerate, I'm curious if you see an improvement with it enabled.

Because of your mention that the TDR occurs more frequently with OBS running, my first theory is that the FPS in is varying in areas such as the Void, and coupled with OBS encoding the outgoing frames to your stream, might be triggering the TDR. Ideally, setting a Max Framerate (as an example, try the framerate you output your stream at) should show an improvement.

We've got a R9 200 series here at the studio and in the meantime we'll be trying to recreate your issue here.

Edited by Xander

Ive had similar issues with my R390.(the XFX one, not the same as you) I get random driver crashes to the point of it locking my display up, but I still have full control in game (but I cant see anything) Its happened to me everywhere, and not just in the void, however it seems to happen most often there. I have AMD gaming evolved recording all my gameplay most of the time, but ive had this issue with that turned off.

I also get this issue in other games, a really bad offender was the Black Ops 3 beta. The game ran like butter on my system, but the driver was guaranteed to crash 5 mins in everytime. Right after my 1st kill, or death or sometimes even in the menus. 

Edited by armedpoop

Ive had similar issues with my R390.(the XFX one, not the same as you) I get random driver crashes to the point of it locking my display up, but I still have full control in game (but I cant see anything) Its happened to me everywhere, and not just in the void, however it seems to happen most often there. I have AMD gaming evolved recording all my gameplay most of the time, but ive had this issue with that turned off.

I also get this issue in other games, a really bad offender was the Black Ops 3 beta. The game ran like butter on my system, but the driver was guaranteed to crash 5 mins in everytime. Right after my 1st kill, or death or sometimes even in the menus. 

This is discouraging to hear.  I really do love the card, but this driver issue is such a huge problem.  I can't even play missions with confidence, because I'm convinced that the driver will crash at the worst possible time.  I'm going to leave DX11 off until I can try a new driver.  This really wouldn't be a huge issue if I was still on Windows 7, because I could roll the driver back pretty far.  Unfortunately, my options are extremely limited for now.  Hopefully as I play more games, I don't continue to get this crash.

This is discouraging to hear.  I really do love the card, but this driver issue is such a huge problem.  I can't even play missions with confidence, because I'm convinced that the driver will crash at the worst possible time.  I'm going to leave DX11 off until I can try a new driver.  This really wouldn't be a huge issue if I was still on Windows 7, because I could roll the driver back pretty far.  Unfortunately, my options are extremely limited for now.  Hopefully as I play more games, I don't continue to get this crash.

Yeah, I forgot to mention im also on Win10. So not running in DX11 helps? 

Could it be because they just havent updated the drivers enough? Its  still a new card. 

Also a bit off topic, but whats your average fps with your rig?

Yeah, I forgot to mention im also on Win10. So not running in DX11 helps? 

Could it be because they just havent updated the drivers enough? Its  still a new card. 

Also a bit off topic, but whats your average fps with your rig?

I think the issue is completely driver related, but that's just me.  I'm not sure exactly what my average frames are.  Depending on the game, it's always well above 60 FPS.  But I have a 60Hz monitor, so I just use a frame limiter.