Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Me!me!me! Sequel Is Out.

CelticMoss

Is that so? What do you think the message was?

Basically it's about a lonely, horny guy who has a hazy dream about his own libido. The anime/manga is just what fuels it.

The sex is used to make people think that it's weird and make it go viral, but underneath it is a very obvious message.

Basically it's about a lonely, horny guy who has a hazy dream about his own libido. The anime/manga is just what fuels it.

The sex is used to make people think that it's weird and make it go viral, but underneath it is a very obvious message.

Uhh, not really the popular consensus of what the meaning of this short was about. There are tons of videos explaining what it is about, but I'm going to summarize it here.

The guy, Syu-chan, is what most people would call an otaku or something like that, in which he obsesses over anime (as evidence provided by his room). His obsession led to his break up with his girlfriend, Hana-chan, which he wholesomely regrets, and fuels more of his obsession. He tries to fight back against his obsession, only to cave in and be consumed by it. The video is supposed to loop back to the beginning, symbolizing the cycle of obsession and heartbreak in which he trapped himself in. 

This video is supposed to criticize the current anime culture of flashy yet hollow stories (*cough Monster Musume *cough) and how this culture is destroying people in general. Here's a video if you want to watch up on it: 

I find Me!Me!Me! to be really great in the way it tells a story, being an unconventional way of story telling. My first impression was really "WTF is this anime BS. This is stupid, oh Japan, you crazy", but the more I read up on it, the more I started to understand it. The sexiness and WTF factor I found was the charm to mememe and a perfect parody of anime culture in general.

That being said, I kinda like "Girl" more as it doesn't seem to try to replicate the success of mememe. I like the music and the art direction more as it is less in your face and all over the place. It might not be huge as mememe was, but I still find it quite special.

Uhh, not really the popular consensus of what the meaning of this short was about. There are tons of videos explaining what it is about, but I'm going to summarize it here.

The guy, Syu-chan, is what most people would call an otaku or something like that, in which he obsesses over anime (as evidence provided by his room). His obsession led to his break up with his girlfriend, Hana-chan, which he wholesomely regrets, and fuels more of his obsession. He tries to fight back against his obsession, only to cave in and be consumed by it. The video is supposed to loop back to the beginning, symbolizing the cycle of obsession and heartbreak in which he trapped himself in. 

This video is supposed to criticize the current anime culture of flashy yet hollow stories (*cough Monster Musume *cough) and how this culture is destroying people in general. Here's a video if you want to watch up on it: 

I find Me!Me!Me! to be really great in the way it tells a story, being an unconventional way of story telling. My first impression was really "WTF is this anime BS. This is stupid, oh Japan, you crazy", but the more I read up on it, the more I started to understand it. The sexiness and WTF factor I found was the charm to mememe and a perfect parody of anime culture in general.

That being said, I kinda like "Girl" more as it doesn't seem to try to replicate the success of mememe. I like the music and the art direction more as it is less in your face and all over the place. It might not be huge as mememe was, but I still find it quite special.

I interpret it one way, you interpret it the other way.

It's still close enough.

What is popular doesn't = the only right answer. I find it sad how this is seen by the entirety of the internet and is praised for it, yet I can list of tons of other songs of the same category that get little to no recognition. 

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

I interpret it one way, you interpret it the other way.

It's still close enough.

What is popular doesn't = the only right answer. I find it sad how this is seen by the entirety of the internet and is praised for it, yet I can list of tons of other songs of the same category that get little to no recognition. 

It may be your opinion, but I'm just saying that you may want to re-evaluate your opinion on this. I'm just saying that you may be wrong or you may have judged the video to quickly, and maybe your opinion may not change at all, but that is okay.

I think the real reason why mememe got so popular was not only due to the flashy and sexual content, but because this content was made by well known people in the anime industry. The director worked on Evangelion, one of the most f*cked up highly praised animes out there, with deeper and darker messages that surround it. Plus the singer is like 18 years old, so she just getting out of high-school, which is pretty impressive. Sure there may be other songs out there that try to convey the same message, but this song came from people who have experience within the industry, showing that these people know what they are doing and probably don't just want to put out fanservice.

It may be your opinion, but I'm just saying that you may want to re-evaluate your opinion on this. I'm just saying that you may be wrong or you may have judged the video to quickly, and maybe your opinion may not change at all, but that is okay.

I think the real reason why mememe got so popular was not only due to the flashy and sexual content, but because this content was made by well known people in the anime industry. The director worked on Evangelion, one of the most f*cked up highly praised animes out there, with deeper and darker messages that surround it. Plus the singer is like 18 years old, so she just getting out of high-school, which is pretty impressive. Sure there may be other songs out there that try to convey the same message, but this song came from people who have experience within the industry, showing that these people know what they are doing and probably don't just want to put out fanservice.

No, the real reason why it got popular was because of the same way you reacted when you first saw it.

Tell me, does the average twitter user/facebook user even know who the director of Evangelion is? Or who the singer is? 

Does the average youtube user understand the actual story of it? No. 

My friend showed me it, and he was like "dude, look at this weird &#! video", and then the same to other people I showed the video to. 

No, this is stuff that you found out when you dug deeper, which is something that not many people do.

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

No, the real reason why it got popular was because of the same way you reacted when you first saw it.

Tell me, does the average twitter user/facebook user even know who the director of Evangelion is? Or who the singer is? 

Does the average youtube user understand the actual story of it? No. 

My friend showed me it, and he was like "dude, look at this weird ! video", and then the same to other people I showed the video to. 

No, this is stuff that you found out when you dug deeper, which is something that not many people do.

Tell me this then, do you think any other ordinary director can pull this off? This director is experienced at not only developing WTF moments but also pulling in deeper meanings behind each moment. The only people who were exposed to this work in the first place were people really dedicated to anime and probably the director's works. Any random anime director can show off breasts and sexy imagery of crazy girls dancing in front of the screen, and that is what most anime directors do. But most of those director's anime don't get that instant viral status like mememe. 

Mememe was popular due to how it was directed. You may not apreciate it, but each little piece of mememe was probably deliberately created to generate the most shock value ever created in a music video, but at the same time created to deliver a powerful message. Everything from the bouncy colors to the music to the subtle Evangelion references each was put together for a reason, which most directors cannot pull off. That is why I find mememe so special. While most people will dismiss it for the initial shock value that it has, for those who understand the situation that anime is in can see the deeper meaning behind it. I feel as if mememe will still hold up in the future because of the how deep that messgae was, and I am looking forward to the next edition to this series.

Tell me this then, do you think any other ordinary director can pull this off? This director is experienced at not only developing WTF moments but also pulling in deeper meanings behind each moment. The only people who were exposed to this work in the first place were people really dedicated to anime and probably the director's works. Any random anime director can show off breasts and sexy imagery of crazy girls dancing in front of the screen, and that is what most anime directors do. But most of those director's anime don't get that instant viral status like mememe. 

Mememe was popular due to how it was directed. You may not apreciate it, but each little piece of mememe was probably deliberately created to generate the most shock value ever created in a music video, but at the same time created to deliver a powerful message. Everything from the bouncy colors to the music to the subtle Evangelion references each was put together for a reason, which most directors cannot pull off. That is why I find mememe so special. While most people will dismiss it for the initial shock value that it has, for those who understand the situation that anime is in can see the deeper meaning behind it. I feel as if mememe will still hold up in the future because of the how deep that messgae was, and I am looking forward to the next edition to this series.

Once again, Mememe got popular because of the shock value, not because of it's deep meaning. People liked it more once the deeper meaning was shown, but the shock value is what made others share it. It's what made it become viral. That is my only point. I don't care about how the deeper meaning (because I already know there is deeper meaning behind it and that it makes people understand it and like even more) and I most certainly don't care about the Director's past experiences. All of the shares, all of the tweets, all of the posts were because of how shocked people were from the video. 

This is a fact, that Mememe got popular because of the shock value, everything else about how it is well liked comes afterwards.

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

Once again, Mememe got popular because of the shock value, not because of it's deep meaning. People liked it more once the deeper meaning was shown, but the shock value is what made others share it. It's what made it become viral. That is my only point. I don't care about the deeper meaning (because I already know there is deeper meaning behind it and that it makes people understand it and like even more) and I most certainly don't care about the Director's past experiences. All of the shares, all of the tweets, all of the posts were because of how shocked people were from the video. 

This is a fact, that Mememe got popular because of the shock value, everything else about how it is well liked comes afterwards.

Yes, the popularity of this video came form the shock value, but it is also popular by how the shock value is directed. Shock value is only shock value if all the pieces needed to create the shock value fall into place.

I'm sorry for wasting your time on this pointless argument, but I really get frustrated at people on the internet for being so shallow sometimes. I've seen many people who watched this video only to dismiss it for just being shock value and that is what made me quite irritated. I get it that you, the mighty off-topic master, probably don't care about 2deep4u stuff and just want a simple joyful experience that isn't to overthetop and such. But what really gets me is that those types of people who dismiss this video are most likely the people who consume the lowest common denominator types of media which drives the creative businesses out. I just get really passionate over the stuff I like.

I get it that you, the mighty off-topic master, probably don't care about 2deep4u stuff and just want a simple joyful experience that isn't to overthetop and such. 

Ok first off, never say that again. That is not me whatsoever, I love deep meanings behind media. What I see in this is you making ridiculous assumptions about me. Do not mix my forum persona with serious discussions.

Secondly, never have I said that this video is simply just shock value. My argument is that the popularity of it was fueled by the shock value, and that the deeper meaning behind it came afterwards. 

I never dismissed the deeper meaning.