The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr Melee?

Vensaval

Question

Hey there. I'm a newer player looking for a bit of insight. I've been interested in trying something a tad unorthodox in the form of a melee Zephyr build.

I love her mobility and cc aspects (as well as aesthetic), so I would enjoy incorporating those somehow into my affinity toward in-your-face melee tactics regardless of how favorable toward range her abilities come across.

I'm aware that a Frame like Valkyr will probably fit the role even better in this case, but I'm more drawn toward Zephyr at the moment and don't want to give up on this notion right away.

How would I go about it?

20 answers to this question

As 4gent said, the Dive bomb is the best.

But, the most FUN strategy is to alter her first ability to how short, or long you'd like it. Max out turbulence, and just speed in and out fo the battle field like a absolute loon.

SO much more fun then dive bombing and finishing.

Bonus points if you can do it like Hancock fighting the terrorists for the first time

Another method is lowering your power range (narrow minded helps), to make turbulence have a smaller AoE of blocking projectiles and bullets.

Or:

The most effective Zephyr melee strategy is to jump and immediately use Dive Bomb to knock down enemies, then perform ground finishers on them. I'd recommend a Scindo Prime with the Manticore skin and a Finishing Touch mod.

Personal preferences really

I've tried to do something like this, but I have too much mods, which make it hard to choose which mod is more important...

The most important thing about Melee Zephyr is using that Large Health pool as rage potential, need flow because of large health, QT, and a turbulence build for speed and ranged protection all in one... it's really tough.

Another method is lowering your power range (narrow minded helps), to make turbulence have a smaller AoE of blocking projectiles and bullets.

Hmm. How's decreasing the range of Turbulence for a melee build benefit Zephyr as opposed to increasing the range like you would for other generic ones?

Edited by Vensaval

Hmm. How's decreasing the range of Turbulence for a melee build benefit Zephyr as opposed to increasing the range like you would for other generic ones?

I always used Negative Range on my Zephyr, and it works extremely well to be honest. The only difference would be about how Hitscan interacts with the outer shield. If shot from outside it, deflected. If not, accuracy loss.

In other words, you become invulnerable to Hitscan till you are around 3 meters. Also, concetrated Tornadoes are awesome.

Zephyr's only weaknesses are Bombards and melee, and you want to put her in melee range?

O.o

Well, okay. I guess I would start with Divebomb Vortex to CC crowds and pull enemies toward you.

Energy Siphon, Vitality, Divebomb Vortex, Jetstream, Fleeting Expertise, Primed Continuity, Constitution, Transient Fortitude, Overextended

Zephyr's only weaknesses are Bombards and melee, and you want to put her in melee range?

Yes.

Energy Siphon, Vitality, Divebomb Vortex, Jetstream, Fleeting Expertise, Primed Continuity, Constitution, Transient Fortitude, Overextended

A lot of that seems really counterproductive. 

Vitality is there because you need at least one survivability mod and using melee allows use of Lifestrike, so Vitality makes the most sense.

Divebomb Vortex pulls enemies toward you so you can melee them. Jetstream increases your movement speed so you can more easily get into position for melee.

Fleeting Expertise and Energy Siphon reduces costs and provides energy so you can use Turbulence and Divebomb.

Overextended increases the AoE of Divebomb into something actually worth a damn. It also allows Turbulence to protect more than just yourself.

Transient Fortitude counteracts the penalty of Overextended, so that Jetstream is still useful and Divebomb doesn't suffer.

Constitution counteracts the penalty of Transient Fortitude, and provides knockdown recovery which you will definitely need as a melee build.

Primed Continuity counteracts the penalty of Fleeting Expertise, so that Turbulence remains useful.

You can't get 160% efficiency and 190% range without corrupted mods. It may look strange, but it's an alright build for Divebomb. The problem is mostly that Divebomb is a bad skill, so building around it isn't as effective as building around Zephyr's other strong points. Luckily, it's only a minor sacrifice, because that build works pretty well for general use, too.

Something about having four mods in a build that almost directly counter each other does not seem efficient to me.

Perhaps I'm just missing something.

Best get used to it. That's how a lot of Warframe builds look; powerful Corrupted mods to achieve otherwise impossible effects, followed by mods to compensate for the penalties. Few frames have the luxury of a total dump stat that can be penalised without consequence.

Best get used to it.

No need for a 'tude, bud. I'm just new and ignorant.

I know Corrupted mods are a thing. It's that at first glance the effects of the ones you suggested look to completely negate each other. Achieving very little. It's not like I have the mods on hand to look for myself, after all.

I know Corrupted mods are a thing. It's that at first glance the effects of the ones you suggested look to completely negate each other. Achieving very little. It's not like I have the mods on hand to look for myself, after all.

Actually you're not far wrong in what you're noticing.  A lot of the time people mix up corrupted mods unnecessarily, and end up with about the same result as you would have if you'd just used ordinary ones.  If you're only going to end up with maybe 140% instead of 130% on something, it isn't worth it.

But often, it's worth it for a big boost on a particular stat that you couldn't get otherwise, and the only way to compensate for the downsides is to use another corrupted mod or two, plus a few ordinary ones mixed in. 

This works, but the only problem is that using corrupted mods in this way is  "expensive" in terms of Drain, so you need an Orokin Reactor in the frame (which goes without saying at that level) and 3-4 forma.

No need for a 'tude, bud.

In general, on the internet it's best not to read any more malice into people's words than what is explicitly stated. I don't know what 'tude' you imagine I have, but you're probably wrong about it.

If you want to see the accumulative effects of different mod combinations without having them in game, use warframe-builder.com, fill out a warframe build and click the 'DETAILS' link. Just note that WFBuilder uses 0% as baseline, whereas ingame 100% is used as base. That is to say, adding Intensify would show +30% Strength in WFBuilder, but in game it's shown as 130% Strength.

In general, on the internet it's best not to read any more malice into people's words than what is explicitly stated. I don't know what 'tude' you imagine I have, but you're probably wrong about it.

That's exactly what I was addressing, but I'd rather not dwell on it.

Melee build: pressure point spoiled strike fury primed reach virulent scourge voltaic strike shocking touch and fever strike

Zephyr build:Rejuvenation Lighting Dash Primed continuity Narrow minded Constitution Primed flow intensify streamline rush jet stream

Keep turbulence up at all times.

Summon tornadoes then immediately strike them with melee to set all 4 to corrosive procs.

Find your target

Option 1: get above them bullet jump is fine for shot-mid range jump then tailwind for targets extremely far away. then use divebomb for a large group or simple ground slam for single targets/small groups. then either ground finisher each of them or roll back out of them then slide melee thru them

Option 2: rush forward to them turbulance will keep you save for most of that trip tailwind can shorten the trip if you have the energy. then either spin attack or if thats not enough for say a lv 300 eximus heavy jump aimglide until your level with their head then spin melee for absolute destruction.

Finish by breaking out in Eclipse Narta it is the dance of our people and all shall respect the Zephyr overlords.