Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Graphics Card Suggestions?

lightdragon64

So after about 5 years of playing with my current graphics card i decided it is time to upgrade it considering a large amount of games i want to play require a better graphics card if i want to play them at settings other than medium.

I am willing to spend about 500$ on a graphics card and wanted to know if anybody here on the forums had a suggestion on which one is best.

Some things to note:

-my current GPU is a Geforce 560 Ti

-i preferably would like to stay with the geforce brand considering the Nvidia effects that come with it by standard.

-while this graphics card can run most games pretty well (45-60 fps) on most games at high graphics it is starting to become worse with a large amount of games coming out

-i was looking at the Geforce gtx 970 type on new egg, however i am unsure which of these cards would best suit my computer.

-more specifically i was looking at this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832&cm_re=Geforce_gtx_970-_-14-127-832-_-Product

reason being that my monitors have DVI ports

I'm sure there are better cards than this which is why i wanted to ask people here which card is the best.

also out of curiosity, what is currently one of the best cards on the market i can get my hands on? my current GPU can run warframe at 30-45 fps depending on it's mood but i wonder if there is a card out there that can run any game at 60+ fps at ultimate settings.

(i have heard of the Geforce titan X graphics card however i'm unsure i'll get this because it only has 1 DVI port and would require i get new monitors)

any help is appreciated.

Edited by lightdragon64

The absolute bees knees right now is 980ti. Buying Titan X now is a pure waste of money.

By the time games will even start using 12gb of Titan's vram the card itself won't be able to keep up with demands, it will be too slow and old.

6gb of 980ti is more than plenty.

I upgraded from 7970Ghz edition to Gigabyte's G1 980ti and it's a monster.

Im playing at 1440p.

What resolution are you playing and how good is your power supply and how roomy is your case ?

But.....If you can afford it, then take the leap and buy 980ti, solid investment.

Advantages:

-6gb instead of 4/3.5gb of older cards

-actual dx12 capable hardware(currently the only card in the world as far as i know)

-quite a bit faster than 980 and 970s and only veeeeeery slightly slower than titan x

-can overclock better than titan x

The guys above my score are running SLi 980s and im only running one Ti.

sV9Q1db.jpg

link:http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7971727

However if you can't afford a 980ti then the cards that follow are R9 390X/fury and a normal 980....

That said though, normal 980 isn't worth buying IMHO, R9 390X is cheaper and performance is between 980 and 980ti.

How much do you care about physx ? Warframe doesn't use it anymore so.....unless you love some other games that have it there is little reason to focus on it.

Edited by kiteohatto

-snip-

Thanks for all the good info! to let you know i have dual monitor displays each monitor bieng 1600x900 each as for my power supply i can't really say for certain what its voltage is and i will have to try to find the orignal box to it to be able to determine it easier. as for the case i have a large rosewill blackhawk case (still got plenty of room in it for upgrades and additonal stuff.)

Thanks for all the good info! to let you know i have dual monitor displays each monitor bieng 1600x900 each as for my power supply i can't really say for certain what its voltage is and i will have to try to find the orignal box to it to be able to determine it easier. as for the case i have a large rosewill blackhawk case (still got plenty of room in it for upgrades and additonal stuff.)

Well, at those resolutions 980 is overkill.

Is your case blackhawk or blackhawk ultra ?(one is mid tower and ultra is full tower)

I'd say get a 970 from either asus, msi or gigabyte and it should last you a while with those screens.

Do check your case dimensions and card dimensions before buying :)

Gigabyte cards are long, asus cards are "thick"

The card you picked is a good one.

Edited by kiteohatto

Well, at those resolutions 980 is overkill.

Is your case blackhawk or blackhawk ultra ?(one is mid tower and ultra is full tower)

I'd say get a 970 from either asus, msi or gigabyte and it should last you a while with those screens.

Do check your case dimensions and card dimensions before buying :)

Gigabyte cards are long, asus cards are "thick"

The card you picked is a good one.

My case is a blackhawk ultra, and as for space left in it i'm pretty sure i can fit an extra graphics card in there (i am going to see if i can go for a multi graphics card setup but it's unlikely)

I'll look around for 980ti's looking as the specs and such i think this type seems to be the best. Thanks for the help!