Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Cloning And Ethics?

Sc10p

So I"ve been thinking a lot recently about how the Grineer have cloned themselves into infertility, so there aren't any "naturally" born Grineer anymore. Like what kind of test's they would've performed to get to that point, what kind of super steroids they've been pumping into bombards, how much of a grinder unit is actually grown vs. how much is outfitted with robot parts and stuff. But, there was a piece of Art featured recently in one of the Prime Times titled "The Colonist and The Soldier" or something along those lines.

And that made me wonder, are the Grineer colonists naturally born?

-Is it just the army that clones the crap out of all their units?

-Are there some "naturally" born Grineer that volunteer for the army and because they aren't "cloned" do they receive a higher rank and/or more respect (I.E Captain Vor, Tyl Regor, etc.)?

-Is the leader of Steel Miridian a "natural" Grineer trying to stop the atrocities committed by the Queens? 

I personally believe human cloning is wrong (not animals though, making chimeras seems freaking sweet), so maybe it's just me trying to imprint my own ideals on the Syndicates/Groups I fight for the most, but I don't know how much lore supports one side or the other, since I don't normally dig too deep into un confirmed lore/fan speculation.

Thoughts? Theories? 

Edited by WildStaticOrder

Grineer are like bees.

Twin Queens produce offspring en-masse, offspring then is made colonists and is restricted to working class in relatively safe places.

Every other zergling is cloned. Disposable hunk of deteriorating flesh.

Edited by Mofixil

I think everyone in the Grineer colony is a clone and true breeders are long gone.

I say this because based soully on how their bodies seem to work, they are strong but also biological insecure so I doubt a baby would live, become a zygote or even grow.

I dont even think the grineer have functioning sexual organs. They seem unnecessary when you can mass produce fully grown workers.

The Queens were "born" but we dont know the context of birth (from an article womb or real mom.

Even if real birth existed, genetic diversity is so low that artificially making grineer only seems right because you can add all kinds of genes to try to fix some of their problems.

I personally believe human cloning is wrong (not animals though, making chimeras seems freaking sweet), so maybe it's just me trying to imprint my own ideals on the Syndicates/Groups I fight for the most, but I don't know how much lore supports one side or the other, since I don't normally dig too deep into un confirmed lore/fan speculation. 

Two things:

Grineer and cloning ethics do not go in the same sentence.

Grineer do not care what you think.

Edit: I dont like grineer either, I just shoot all factions all the same :P

Edited by Crimson_Fury

Constant cloning can cause lots of mutations. Majority of them have negative effects but some may have positive effects.

Next generations of Grineer are cloned from this "superior" individual, until further mutations provide better subjects.

Also research to decrease amount of negative mutations and increase effects of positive mutations are done by scientists like Tyl Regor to further enhance Grineer clones.

Best Grineer units are given special roles (Bombard, Commander etc.) while lesser ones are cannon fodder (Lancers, Butchers etc.)

Well, personally I think that the Grineer were ALWAYS infertile - I mean, what sane race COMPLETELY stops regular reproduction? Moreover, during the tutorial Vor says "we Grineer are millions strong, but with a flaw"; on it's own this language means nothing, but since the Crewman Synthesis and Natah dropped I note that EACH uses the word "Flaw" to talk about a weakness in the race (in each case: the Sentients, ALSO an Orokin creation). Lately I find myself leaning towards the notion that the Grineer infertility was ALWAYS the case, hence why they CONTINUED to use cloning to reproduce rather than relying on good-ol' sexual reproduction - of course, the abuse of cloning IS still responsible for their degraded and deformed appearances.

After all: what better way to keep a race in check then be the ONLY way it can reproduce? This could be partially what contributed to the outrage against the Sentients in the Crewman Synth: it clearly demonstrated the ability to self-reproduce.

Aside from that, I don't think there's a single typical Grineer that ISN'T a clone - supposedly Grineer can refer to anyone loyal to the Queens, but generally the members of the Empire are just that: cloned Grineer turned soldiers (I kinda that think any non-clone "Grineer" are used as genetic fodder to draw out the dying Grineer's lifespan. Grineer colonists are likely those clones that are damaged to the point that no manner of augmentation would be able to repair them, and then they are likely re-purposed for other uses - see the Grineer faces in the machines of the Sealabs.

Every Grineer we've encountered is a clone - Vor especially, since no matter which reading (traditional or my New Age theory) you subscribe to he explicitly says that he's infertile (and wants to use the Tenno to fix that so he can have sexy-sexy-fun-time-baby-making with the Twin Queens) and the augmentation on all of the others (Tyl Regor especially) suggests a failing of the limbs associated with both readings of Cloning Decay Syndrome.

As for Grineer rank... I think it all depends on how long you've been around/how much you've done for the Empire. We hear a radio broadcast talking about how Sargas Ruk is to be promoted to the rank of General for successfully putting down rebellion around Saturn so it's obvious they CAN improve their standing and aren't bred SPECIFICALLY for a task. I think it's something inline with mandatory military service: once a Grineer matures they're given a tour of duty and, if they survive, they're free to continue to contribute to the Empire in whatever way the desire (that presuming they're physically able to serve in the military in the first place). Some stay military (Ruk, Vor, probably Kela to some extent) while others may pursue sciences or politics (Regor and Vay Hek respectively).

Grineer are like bees.

Twin Queens produce offspring en-masse, offspring then is made colonists and is restricted to working class in relatively safe places.

Every other zergling is cloned. Disposable hunk of deteriorating flesh.

You see, that's how I thought about it. Some normals, others are expendable, genetic masses of just. Ick. 

Well, personally I think that the Grineer were ALWAYS infertile - I mean, what sane race COMPLETELY stops regular reproduction? Moreover, during the tutorial Vor says "we Grineer are millions strong, but with a flaw"; on it's own this language means nothing, but since the Crewman Synthesis and Natah dropped I note that EACH uses the word "Flaw" to talk about a weakness in the race (in each case: the Sentients, ALSO an Orokin creation). Lately I find myself leaning towards the notion that the Grineer infertility was ALWAYS the case, hence why they CONTINUED to use cloning to reproduce rather than relying on good-ol' sexual reproduction - of course, the abuse of cloning IS still responsible for their degraded and deformed appearances.

After all: what better way to keep a race in check then be the ONLY way it can reproduce? This could be partially what contributed to the outrage against the Sentients in the Crewman Synth: it clearly demonstrated the ability to self-reproduce.

Every Grineer we've encountered is a clone - Vor especially, since no matter which reading (traditional or my New Age theory) you subscribe to he explicitly says that he's infertile (and wants to use the Tenno to fix that so he can have sexy-sexy-fun-time-baby-making with the Twin Queens) and the augmentation on all of the others (Tyl Regor especially) suggests a failing of the limbs associated with both readings of Cloning Decay Syndrome.

That makes a lot of sense. Time to join New Loka and cleanse the universe of the genetically flawed. 

Heil Ms.Space Hitler

Aside from that, I don't think there's a single typical Grineer that ISN'T a clone - supposedly Grineer can refer to anyone loyal to the Queens, but generally the members of the Empire are just that: cloned Grineer turned soldiers (I kinda that think any non-clone "Grineer" are used as genetic fodder to draw out the dying Grineer's lifespan. Grineer colonists are likely those clones that are damaged to the point that no manner of augmentation would be able to repair them, and then they are likely re-purposed for other uses - see the Grineer faces in the machines of the Sealabs.

As for Grineer rank... I think it all depends on how long you've been around/how much you've done for the Empire. We hear a radio broadcast talking about how Sargas Ruk is to be promoted to the rank of General for successfully putting down rebellion around Saturn so it's obvious they CAN improve their standing and aren't bred SPECIFICALLY for a task. I think it's something inline with mandatory military service: once a Grineer matures they're given a tour of duty and, if they survive, they're free to continue to contribute to the Empire in whatever way the desire (that presuming they're physically able to serve in the military in the first place). Some stay military (Ruk, Vor, probably Kela to some extent) while others may pursue sciences or politics (Regor and Vay Hek respectively).

The lotus confirms that female Grineer at the very least have a mandatory service period.