Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Safe To Leave In A Dead Pc Fan?

Generalsherman

I know some people out there have some serious setups to run Warframe so I'm hoping at least one person can help me out here.

The issue is that my computer has a front case fan that is failing to the point that it sometimes grinds to a halt. It's one of three fans and so far even at it's worst I don't heart the others kick in to compensate to built up heat even during a long void run. I've turned my settings down to minimize heat but I'm wondering, until I get a new fan is it safe to just leave the dead one in even if it totally stops moving?

I not sure how exactly I can take the front part of my case off safely to get to the thing so I'm wondering if a powered fan that's not moving can damage a computer somehow?

If anyone could give me an answer about that, how to take off the front panel safely, or what replacement fan I should get (I believe it's a 80MM) I'd be very grateful.

Really any 80mm will do. Go by ratings when purchasing. Newegg.com is good for this. Cheap stuff might die soon, but when you get expensive, you're paying for lower noise levels, likely.. Just gently pop off the front of the case (most support this) though you may need to go in on the side to find where the cable plugs into the power supply or motherboard for power and disconnect it.

(measure your fan when choosing a replacement to make sure you get one thats appropriately sized.) Depending on your case config, many cases have the front case fan drawing air over your hard drive(s). Heat isn't great for hard drives. There's free tools online that can check your HD temperatures. (I like speedfan myself) if they're getting significantly higher than 35C, you might consider putting like a personal desk fan to blow into the front for a bit.

Edited by Zagrax

Without knowing what kind of case you have its hard to say how to remove it but if its bothering you, you could just pop off the side panel and unplug the fan. It will either be connected to the motherboard or power supply. I currently have a fan just sitting unplugged in my case because it eveloped an annoying buzz and I havent bothered to replace it yet, however my cooling is more than adequate. Check your temps with something like hwmonitor. As long as they are below about 80C then you are fine. If they are fine then dont worry and if they are hot then clean out any dust and replace the fan. Generally exhaust fans are far more important than intake so you should be okay. As long as you have a functioning cpu cooler the worst case scenario is the cpu throttles its speed to cool down. 

My pc as a faulty fan in the graphics card, so I pointed a fan at it, turn it on every time i play warframe.

If i forget it, the game becomes extra slow until my pc just shuts down, and so far I've been lucky, since i believe it might just burn the graphics card someday.

My laptop graphic card also burned down couple a years ago, and it was only on standby, but the heat was so strong that summer day it got rekt.

I would be concerned about a potentially burnt out motor causing some electrical issues, but if you have two other fans, the heating should be fine.

I would suggest popping open the case and unplugging the trouble fan from the power, but no need to go through the hassle of physically removing it.

That said, to find a replacement, your best bet is to take out the fan and inspect the labels. Check the voltage and the connector on the end most importantly, and go from there. You could also take the fan to a computer shop and ask a salesperson for help.

If you want advice on how to take things apart, pictures are pretty much necessary. There is huge variety in PC case design, but most are fairly simple once you figure things out.

Edited by Kthal