Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Kind Of Auction House? [Megathread]

rudman88

I don't think a traditional auction house like you see in games like WoW would work for Warframe, but there does need to be a better approach to the trading system. Right now all we have is the trade channel which is far too labor intensive, cluttered, and ultimately complex to use. I know that I tend to just sell my extra items for credits because lurking trade channel is quite a painful experience. I also know I'm not alone in this feeling, though it'd be interesting for DE to host a poll to get some real numbers.

Trading in Warframe really just needs to improve the user experience of what's already there with tools:

• Allow a player to host items they wish to trade
  • Allow a player to request payment in all current available forms of platinum or a straight trade
  • Allow a player to search through listed offers of all online players

Trades could then be concluded through pm and done in the Dojo as usual. The actual process of trading in the dojo isn't really a bad thing, it's just our current options to communicate our interest in trading are severely limited. Also, I see people suggesting adding a trade board feature to the Relays but with how much they struggle on Void Trader days I really don't think pushing all the traffic of a trading system into them is a good idea.

Im still yet to see someone that can explain in detail, how exactly is an auction house going to ruin the game. And im tired or reading comments like:

"I dont want an auction house to be implemented, instead i want....'' and then he/she suggests the exact or near exact same structure of an auction house in their solution. Stop it!

Right now all we have is the trade channel which is far too labor intensive, cluttered, and ultimately complex to use. I know that I tend to just sell my extra items for credits because lurking trade channel is quite a painful experience.

Working as intended.

Drop rates in WF are too high to achieve supply-demand balance on their own (save for some ultra rare mods).

No other MMO will give you a 5% drop chance on it's highest-tier item on a mission that you can practically run more than 10x a day.

This means that for items to sell for a reasonable amount of plat, sellers/producers will have to be discouraged from participating in the market by placing barriers to sale.

As for buyers, the trade chat is easy, for as long as buyers are willing to offer a reasonable amount of plat. The only time buying is difficult is when you are looking to buy stuff on the cheap, which I suspect is the real reason for wanting an AH.

Im still yet to see someone that can explain in detail, how exactly is an auction house going to ruin the game.

Try reading all the other AH threads out there then.

So far I have yet to see anyone that can counter the argument that the WF item system is just not built for an AH, by virtue of:

1. High supply from high drop rates

2. No item consumption (no breakage)

3. Supply will not decrease in response to low demand (no equilibrium between supply and demand).

Working as intended.

*snip*

So far I have yet to see anyone that can counter the argument that the WF item system is just not built for an AH, by virtue of:

3. Supply will not decrease in response to low demand (no equilibrium between supply and demand).

Working like crap really can't be counted as working at all, but your three points there are true and I hadn't thought about them before. Of course you could say that trading in its current form also faces these issues, it'll just take longer for them to be noticeable because it's harder to use and thus trades far less daily.

Ever seen: "T>plat for your Dota2/CS:GO items?

that's still not trading plat for real life currency. And even if you sell those items you'll only get the money in steambuxx which you can't withdraw from steam in any way shape or form.

of course if you try to trade your items for RL money I believe that's against ToS and could get you a hefty ban on either steam or Warframe anyways. Also it seems like from what I've seen 99% of these people are just trying to scam money :\

Also it still wouldn't apply to an 'auction house' or trading board/post/whatever you want to call it. As all transactions through there have to go through in-game. So you would have to agree to the sellers price if you wanted it.

And as a side note there will always be people who try to circumvent the system, but the majority who do use the system would probably be able to do things a lot easier with each other if this sort of thing is implemented.

I REALLY CANT HANDLE ANOTHER ONE SAYING "'warframe needs an auction house"

would you guys stop already?

THIS IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL RPG

its a space mmo third person hack and slash

warframe dosen't need it and it'll look ridiculous and ugly

1. Idk why you get the idea that the AH is not going to be limited. There are obviously going to be limits. You are not going to go in AH and put lets say 8 Ash P Systems for sale. No, its clearly going to have several limits to what a player can sell like: If selling a Prime part, you can only register the part for trade only once, and you can not register more then 1 of the same part. Basically i can only register an Ash P Systems blueprint only once a day, and i can only register one. The Supply is obviously going to be limited.

2. Im not sure what you mean by ''no item consumption'', do you mean there are no consumable items? If so, then that is not true... Theres cores/ forma/ potatoes/ resources etc. And the other good thing about an AH is specifically that, it will allow the trade of resources, which are the majority of the consumables. Im guessing that De have not made resources tradeable, since the trade chat will probably be even more flooded then it already is.

3. Go in the game now, open the trade chat, tell me what you see sir... 90%+ of the posts are WTS. Not only is the chat littered with WTS posts, its WTS walls of text posts. If that is not enough proof that the game is in dire need of an AH, idk what is mate. There is already High supply and low demand, the AH will make the transaction faster for players, so they dont have to stay in the trade chat, wasting their time writing walls of text and exploiting system errors to make their posting speeds faster.

As for buyers, the trade chat is easy, for as long as buyers are willing to offer a reasonable amount of plat. The only time buying is difficult is when you are looking to buy stuff on the cheap, which I suspect is the real reason for wanting an AH.

Ecactly this mate... Demanders that are aware of the situation (high supply and low demand) will try to cheese the suppliers. Its happend multiple times now, when i last tried to sell my Prime part, and is mostly why im disgusted by the current trade (mind you i do not mean the actual trade between players) in the game. I post ''WTS Ash P Systems 80p'' and next thing i know, the players that wish to buy the item start making sobb stories, try to make me think the items price is much lower that that (yea they tried to make me sell the systems for 20p, coz its not Ash's rarest to get part). If there is an AH that will not be the case. I go to the AH i register the item for the price i desire, by its worth, the time and effort i spend to get the item, without having to interact with the demander, and DEBATE if the item im trying to sell is WORTH as much as i think it is. If you can see the price of the item you want to sell, that is put up by other people, you will have a certain understanding of + - whare the price you put on it is supposed to be, without haveing to go to sources on the net, to figure out how much is a certain prime part or something similar is worth.

And lastly i want to point out that, the AH will not remove the trade chat, nor the trade between other players ''hand to hand''. So i don't know why there are so many butthurt people.

I REALLY CANT HANDLE ANOTHER ONE SAYING "'warframe needs an auction house"

would you guys stop already?

THIS IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL RPG

its a space mmo third person hack and slash

warframe dosen't need it and it'll look ridiculous and ugly

There is no need to get aroused. Warframe needs an AH asap and it will not look ridiculous in any way. It seems i pressed a certain button, but please settle down and explain to me how exactly is an AH so unneeded and ''will look ugly''. It does not matter if its an RPG or not.

Trade kiosks, with the amount of items you can have listed at any one time limited by your mastery rank.

Once its listed its out of your inventory, it can be listed for a maximum of 7 days (and cant be removed or altered by you during that time either) at the posted price, if it doesn't sell its returned to your inventory and cannot be listed again for 48 hours.

Oh the humanity at the time this would save.

Edited by (PS4)atpbx

Trade kiosks, with the amount of items you can have listed at any one time limited by your mastery rank.

Once its listed its out of your inventory, it can be listed for a maximum of 7 days (and cant be removed or altered by you during that time either) at the posted price, if it doesn't sell its returned to your inventory and cannot be listed again for 48 hours.

Oh the humanity at the time this would save.

7 days, with 2 days rest time is kinda overkill, but i agree with the rest.

7 days, with 2 days rest time is kinda overkill, but i agree with the rest.

It was just off the top of my head to prevent spamming and price manipulation.

Once you've decided to list your ultra rare item for 7 days for 20p and you've clicked the review and confirm button, well, thats tough.

1. Idk why you get the idea that the AH is not going to be limited. There are obviously going to be limits. You are not going to go in AH and put lets say 8 Ash P Systems for sale. No, its clearly going to have several limits to what a player can sell like: If selling a Prime part, you can only register the part for trade only once, and you can not register more then 1 of the same part. Basically i can only register an Ash P Systems blueprint only once a day, and i can only register one. The Supply is obviously going to be limited.

2. Im not sure what you mean by ''no item consumption'', do you mean there are no consumable items? If so, then that is not true... Theres cores/ forma/ potatoes/ resources etc. And the other good thing about an AH is specifically that, it will allow the trade of resources, which are the majority of the consumables. Im guessing that De have not made resources tradeable, since the trade chat will probably be even more flooded then it already is.

3. Go in the game now, open the trade chat, tell me what you see sir... 90%+ of the posts are WTS. Not only is the chat littered with WTS posts, its WTS walls of text posts. If that is not enough proof that the game is in dire need of an AH, idk what is mate. There is already High supply and low demand, the AH will make the transaction faster for players, so they dont have to stay in the trade chat, wasting their time writing walls of text and exploiting system errors to make their posting speeds faster.

Ecactly this mate... Demanders that are aware of the situation (high supply and low demand) will try to cheese the suppliers. Its happend multiple times now, when i last tried to sell my Prime part, and is mostly why im disgusted by the current trade (mind you i do not mean the actual trade between players) in the game. I post ''WTS Ash P Systems 80p'' and next thing i know, the players that wish to buy the item start making sobb stories, try to make me think the items price is much lower that that (yea they tried to make me sell the systems for 20p, coz its not Ash's rarest to get part). If there is an AH that will not be the case. I go to the AH i register the item for the price i desire, by its worth, the time and effort i spend to get the item, without having to interact with the demander, and DEBATE if the item im trying to sell is WORTH as much as i think it is. If you can see the price of the item you want to sell, that is put up by other people, you will have a certain understanding of + - whare the price you put on it is supposed to be, without haveing to go to sources on the net, to figure out how much is a certain prime part or something similar is worth.

And lastly i want to point out that, the AH will not remove the trade chat, nor the trade between other players ''hand to hand''. So i don't know why there are so many butthurt people.

There is no need to get aroused. Warframe needs an AH asap and it will not look ridiculous in any way. It seems i pressed a certain button, but please settle down and explain to me how exactly is an AH so unneeded and ''will look ugly''. It does not matter if its an RPG or not.

1. It's not just the number of items that can be sold per player. It's more the actual number of players selling. Limit the number of items you can post to 1 for all I care. The problem is that there are a hundred, if not a thousand, people who are going to sell a particular item for every person who will buy them. Right now, buyers can only connect to a very small portion of potential sellers, the rest are either unwilling to trade (can't bother with trade chat) or unable to trade (running a mission). Remove those barriers and prices will collapse. Again, trade chat does not limit the number of items being sold, it limits the number of people selling.

2. You totally missed the point. Trade is limited to prime parts, syndicate weapons, mods, etc. All of which you only need ONE of.This creates a scenario where there is very little overall demand compared to the total population and items being generated. Low demand, high supply, that is the problem.

3. You didn't even address my point. But very well, I'll address yours:

Again, barriers to sellers need to be put in place because there are too many potential sellers vs. the number of buyers. If that takes the form of a clunky interface then so be it. If you want to change something, fine. Just make sure that it will still discourage people from using it, at all.

Because if DE cannot limit the number of people selling, then DE will limit the number of items being sold - they will never allow prices to drop because $$$. This will mean that drop rates will have to be slashed.

I don't know about you, but I prefer using the trade chat when the alternative is having a drop rate of 0.1% (normal MMO drop rate on a high tier item) on an Ash prime systems, and flooding rotation C with orokin cells.

Working like crap really can't be counted as working at all, but your three points there are true and I hadn't thought about them before. Of course you could say that trading in its current form also faces these issues, it'll just take longer for them to be noticeable because it's harder to use and thus trades far less daily.

You are correct. That is why it took years before Frost prime was vaulted. With an AH, primes will be vaulted sooner, limited to a drastically lower drop rate, or both.

1. It's not just the number of items that can be sold per player. It's more the actual number of players selling. Limit the number of items you can post to 1 for all I care. The problem is that there are a hundred, if not a thousand, people who are going to sell a particular item for every person who will buy them. Right now, buyers can only connect to a very small portion of potential sellers, the rest are either unwilling to trade (can't bother with trade chat) or unable to trade (running a mission). Remove those barriers and prices will collapse. Again, trade chat does not limit the number of items being sold, it limits the number of people selling.

1) Suppliers are supposed to be more than the demanders. The current trade chat does not fix this issue. Limiting the number of people selling infact also limits the number of items being sold, so you kind of contradicted yourself there. You are not supposed to limit the mass of people selling, but the amount of items the masses can sell to those willing to buy. Currently the buyers can connect to all the sellers in the trade chat (and the sellers are alot). It is however hard for sellers to connect to buyers fast and easy, since the chat is littered by people selling. The buyers would usually just post WTB... and will only try to cheese sellers with the needed item, if they happen to see one amongst the lines of text with items the buyer does not need at that verry moment. The prices already are colapseing, and the fact that the sellers cannot connect to buyers in a fast/ easy manner makes sellers call quits, which could also very easily lead to people quitting the game altogether, think about it... If a new player does not have the oppurtunity to put real money in the game, and he cannot properly sell items in order to get platinum, he could easily leave the game for good. If an AH is however implemented, both seller and buyer will be able to trade in a verry efficient/ fast/ easy manner, with further limiting factors toward sellers.

2. You totally missed the point. Trade is limited to prime parts, syndicate weapons, mods, etc. All of which you only need ONE of.This creates a scenario where there is very little overall demand compared to the total population and items being generated. Low demand, high supply, that is the problem.

Nope. There are also cores, forma, keys and other consumables that can already be traded. The biggest consumables type (Resources) is however not tradeable, and i suspect, its because it will make the trade chanel WTS spam much much worse. But with an AH, the trade of resources with certain limits can easily be implemented. Yea mate, low demand and high supply is the problem and the current system is not fixing it one bit, it just makes ppl avoid/ call quits.

3. You didn't even address my point. But very well, I'll address yours:

Again, barriers to sellers need to be put in place because there are too many potential sellers vs. the number of buyers. If that takes the form of a clunky interface then so be it. If you want to change something, fine. Just make sure that it will still discourage people from using it, at all.

Because if DE cannot limit the number of people selling, then DE will limit the number of items being sold - they will never allow prices to drop because $$$. This will mean that drop rates will have to be slashed.

I don't know about you, but I prefer using the trade chat when the alternative is having a drop rate of 0.1% (normal MMO drop rate on a high tier item) on an Ash prime systems, and flooding rotation C with orokin cells.

I dont see how i did not adress the point. How exactly did i not adress your point?

"discourage people using it at all.'' So you think that sellers need to be discouraged, in order to keep the supply low? If people are discouraged they can either: stop/ avoid selling, or stop playing the game as a whole. Instead of discourageing sellers, De needs to encourage buyers.

De shouldnt make sellers less, it needs to make buyers more. Neither the current system, nor an AH will fix this problem. An AH will further limit a players total sellable items, however it will make selling and buying fast/ easy. Its not like every item and prime part is super easy to farm, ofc alot of them are, but some of them are actually verry hard to get. If De further limits the RNG of already hard to get parts, the prices of those parts will rise substancially, regardless of AH or not, because the player will still put a price on an item depending on how fast/ easy he got that item and how valuable the item is.

In other words:

Players deserve the right to sell items in an enjoyable for them way, which is not present in the current system.

Sellers should be able to connect to buyers, as easily as buyers connect to sellers .

Limiting the amount of sellers is not the way to go, the correct way is to limit the amount of items each player can sell.

An AH will further limit sellers, but it will make selling and buying as a whole easy and fast.

An AH will most probably leave the trade chat to players that want to trade item for item.

An AH can easily make the largest group of consumables (resources) tradeable.

@Ninja-Kid

I agree with you that the main problem with trading is high supply and low demand, alright? But the goal scenario is high supply and high demand not low supply and low demand. I think you understand this verry well, the fact is, that there is already high supply and low demand in the current trade system. You are obviously concerned that an easy trade trough an AH will further lower the demand right? Mainly because the most selled products are only useable once. De can make the demand of such items rise verry easily (no im not talking about increasing rng), but if they do this they will also need to implement an AH to make the selling and buying of those items easy and fast. I get your point mate, but having a system that discourages players from trading is verry toxic as it slowly but surely will decrease the amount of suppliers, leaves players that can't put real money in the game in the dirt, and if it gets to, low supply (from lack of players selling/ not enough players farming) and low demand, it will be THE worst scenario. Currently De milks players by introducing new items (mods, skins, weapons, frames etc.) but that will never solve the problem of low demand, it only spikes it for a while. Personally, i can tell you, that if i did not put money in this game, i would most likely have left a long time ago. Reducing the population of the game with its trade system, is a verry bad design to say the least and it needs to change. I cannot forsee the future, but with an AH, the consumables of the game will more than likely start selling left and right like hot bread, espacially if resources are made tradeable!

• 2 weeks later...

That's basically, at its core, what an auction house in video games is.

Well sort of, an auction house is merely a part of this, the selling for a currency part.

I am talking about being able to put items up not only for sale, but for trade (other items that you specify), and put in buying requests that other players can fulfill. All automated and can be done offline/with little player interaction, and once transactions are completed the items are mailed to both parties. It's a hell of a lot more work but maybe relays can get put to use this way. 

Please DE this game's trading system is horrible. Please give us an auction house. I think that has been the most requested feature in this game. You can open up the blocked section in the 2nd floor of relays and give a room to place our items on sale for the price we look for and for a limited time (1 hour? 3 hours?).

That way we can just throw our items there, go run a few missions, hopefully a needy Tenno buys our things, we make money and everyone's happy. It will also make buying so much easier. Seeing 1,000 items in front of you will help stabilize prices and give the buyer a better deal while also save them lots of time on buying.

The greatest benefit is time management, as buying/selling in the Auction House would save everyone loads of time. No more (inv to dojo) for each item you want from different buyers/sellers.

This doesn't mean that Dojo trading has to be removed, you can leave it there. It helps clan members trade things among themselves.

Please DE, this game desperately needs this.

Agree.

AND, keep the trading chat and trading dojo, but remove all plat transactions, that way trade chat is for actual trade, and auction is for plat and all other trades.

This is probably the best suggestion about trade i have seen in a while.

Thats exactly why the current system is better than the auction you described.

The buyers and sellers have equal footing.

What you're suggesting would benefit ONLY the buyer and completely screw over the sellers

Free market benefits both buyers and sellers. Economics 101. Your logic is flawed man.

Been suggested a lot.You aren't the only one.

Yes, I realize I'm not the only one beating this dead horse. But this horse hasn't learned it's lesson and deserves to be beaten more.

I will always support some form of an Auction House.

-It should cost credits to create a posting based on how long you want the posting to remain up (max of 2 days)

-People will undercut you by putting up their Loki Prime System up for 1 plat less than your posting.  That's fine and normal for auction houses.

-You'll get any unsold item back but not the credits.

I totally support some form of auction house.

It annoys me to no end, when someone in trade chat says that they are selling a reasonably rare mod, like Fanged Fusilade, or Buzzkill, or even Bore, and and they say to PM them with an offer.

Well apparently if your offer isn't 100+ actual dollars worth of premium currency you might as well go f*** yourself dry in the a** with a sharpened stick.

There is absolutely NO reason any of these mods should be more than say, 300 plat.  One time only mods maybe a touch higher, but what the trade chat is full of for the most part, is part hoarders, and price sharks.

Which is exactly why when I sell things, I sell them for dirt cheap, just to spite the A******s that think a piece of code in the form of a mod, or prime BP/part is worth $100.

Edited by (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE

I totally support some form of auction house.

It annoys me to no end, when someone in trade chat says that they are selling a reasonably rare mod, like Fanged Fusilade, or Buzzkill, or even Bore, and and they say to PM them with an offer.

Well apparently if your offer isn't 100+ actual dollars worth of premium currency you might as well go f*** yourself dry in the a** with a sharpened stick.

There is absolutely NO reason any of these mods should be more than say, 300 plat.  One time only mods maybe a touch higher, but what the trade chat is full of for the most part, is part hoarders, and price sharks.

Which is exactly why when I sell things, I sell them for dirt cheap, just to spite the A******s that think a piece of code in the form of a mod, or prime BP/part is worth $100.

That has nothing to do with the seller and a Auction house will NOT fix that problem, if anything it will actually make it worse.

The reason Mods like that sell for so much is DE fault for not introducing event mods in to the loot tables. If there was way to obtain the mods they would not sell for unacceptable amounts.