Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Need A Second Opinion On An Idea

(PSN)zeratul____12

Video game idea

This game is set in a world where you play as one of Deaths Reapers

The Reapers are humans who have forged a contract with Death by either praying to him or by being selected by a Reaper to take on his duties. When a Reaper is chosen he gives up his life and takes on the duty of finding lost souls and either send them to be imprisoned or helping the soul move on,or by destroying their soul. A Reapers primary weapon is a customisable Scythe, the basic weapon is like the stereotypical scythe but can be modified to do a variety of attacks and functions, and is the only weapon that can destroy a soul.

Your main character starts off with making there way to work/school, when they are approached by a stranger carrying an odd looking case, after having a long conversation he asked you about yourself. The player is then brought into a scene where they create their past. This will go into great detail and would include what type of person you are, friends you've made, and any love interest (if the player wishes to have one) and key traits and personality. After that the train is suddenly attacked by a demonic creature and the stranger reveals the Scythe he is carrying, and dispatches the monster but is fatally wounded, he then hands his scythe over to the player then passes his duties onto you.

From there the player is thrown into an open world where you can see ghosts and phantoms, and it is your job to help them on their way to their final resting place. When in the world you can bring up a menu on people that displays what sins they have committed and why, you can use this to judge them later on when they die.

Gameplay would involve DMC style combat and would have an anime look to it.

This is where I've gotten so far I just want d second opinions on it so far.

could you point out why? Other than the whole scythe thing I don't know what else relates to it

in Dante inferno you can absolve a soul to make it move on you can executed basically because you choose to not solve it.

Their are also people or souls that you can judge who give you their background and caption telling you what they done.

And while the play style is bit diff it has the same combo like mechanics like dmc.

What you described was a plot, not a game. When you describe your gameplay as '...involve DMC style combat..." then that's all you're going to have; a plot re-skinned DMC.

If you want a game, build the game concept first, find mechanics that support each-other, and then find ways to explain it and motivate the player with its plot.

If you want a story, write a story but don't just reskin a game. Given that I see no concepts on new game-mechanics, nor elaboration on what you mean by using DMC style combat, I assume you're more asking if this is a good plot more-so than asking if it'd be a good game.

Nintendo didn't think "let's make a game about an Italian plumber," they thought "Let's make a game where you jump, get power-ups, and squish enemies,"

To answer the question, assuming the above, it's not necessarily a plot I find interesting, but I do know that there are people who would like it.

Edited by Krion112

@op

Just on the idea of plot you got to be specify what ghost phantoms and souls are

Even including what the heck demon monsters are

Just an example would be what are they and were they come from and what the goal in the game

But as for a game you could well while using scythe would be alright and everything you could change it so that other weapons can be used to harvest souls more of an example things that were use to harvest wheat.old harvest tools google that should give you an idea

The idea is cool but you got use an idea not like other game or people would just be getting a Reskin

in Dante inferno you can absolve a soul to make it move on you can executed basically because you choose to not solve it.

Their are also people or souls that you can judge who give you their background and caption telling you what they done.

And while the play style is bit diff it has the same combo like mechanics like dmc.

I would like to point out that while there are those moments they are very rare and don't have much impact on the overall game. In the game iam discussing souls aren't power ups, and you will be either simply judging the or finishing their past business you'd be more involved in the actual process rather than hitting "damned" or "absolved",you'd have way more options than that in what I am thinking.

But it will be more than a simple good or evil choice.

And I hadn't thought of gameplay in detail yet but I wanted the combat to be fun, and I do enjoy a good hack'n'slash and combo game, so I used a basic idea of what the combat would be like.

What you described was a plot, not a game. When you describe your gameplay as '...involve DMC style combat..." then that's all you're going to have; a plot re-skinned DMC.

If you want a game, build the game concept first, find mechanics that support each-other, and then find ways to explain it and motivate the player with its plot.

If you want a story, write a story but don't just reskin a game. Given that I see no concepts on new game-mechanics, nor elaboration on what you mean by using DMC style combat, I assume you're more asking if this is a good plot more-so than asking if it'd be a good game.

Nintendo didn't think "let's make a game about an Italian plumber," they thought "Let's make a game where you jump, get power-ups, and squish enemies,"

To answer the question, assuming the above, it's not necessarily a plot I find interesting, but I do know that there are people who would like it.

Like I said, I merely wanted a second opinion on the "plot" since that is what makes or breaks a game, sure if the gameplay is fun that's well and good, but you should care about what your doing. A game without a good story isn't worth playing.

-snip-

I'd argue to the contrary; plot is a tool to improve a game, but a game does not need a plot to succeed. Games like Chess and Checkers are excellent games, but possess no plot. And games like Half-Life, Halo (at least from Reach back to the first), Call of Duty, Dishonored, and many other of the most popular games all started with only game-play, and then they had writers write a story that made sense and created context out of the game-play and provided motivation.

So no, a game doesn't need to have a story or plot to make it. And while I would agree that a game should make you care about what you're doing, I don't think I'd use that sentence in the same context as you. If a player feels emotionally invested into your game

A game with bad game-play and a good story isn't a game worth playing either.

Sounds rather similar to Bleach (no offence)

Just please, don't let it have hoards of enemy goons that look almost exactly the same and have the same attacks and the protagonist has a short list of "special moves" that can be spammed endlessly, otherwise involving a lot of stiff/repeated combos.A thing I have seen in a lot anime based game.

I'm no expert in games and how it's made but i can appreciate the amount of thought that would go into making something that works for a large number of people with different tastes.

Perhaps read up some books on game design and analyse the various aspects of popular hack and slash games ans what makes them so well received.