The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Blazing's Forge] - [Natha Syandana Wip 1/28/16]

blazingcobalt

• 1 month later...
Just visited your Steam page for the Chroma skin and I'd like to comment here instead.

Not sure why people always comment about what these things are not. "Slapping patterns on" is exactly what the immortal skins are, and still look great. Not having a normal map is completely viable. "Adding a helmet" has nothing to do with a skin submission. Another popular one: "Put it on X Warframe instead of this one". It doesn't work that way lol

Anyway though:

Chroma has really strong and deep physical detail, and I think that your patterns could respond better to this overall. Otherwise, the physical detail fights with the patterns. I'd recommend using more of the detail as a guide at least for the beginning or ends of strokes, and have the patterns react more to the surface. Personally I'd favor making the markings that don't follow the detail appear "painted on" like warpaint, where the edges are ragged and the coloration does not sink into crevices. This would also help with the "hunter" kind of sub-theme he has going too.

What I've found works pretty well with tintmasks is to divide them into percent coverage. For the 4 tints: 60/25/10/5 seems to work good as a starting point, depending on what you're doing. You currently have a lot of scattered details, and I wonder if color/detail grouping based on these percentages would help with that. Inner vs outer surfaces, body vs limb detail, etc.

That all said, I really like where you're going with the energy markings, and the conceptual direction with the feathery/flame motif. This is a really difficult Warframe to tackle and it's exciting to watch you do it :> I hope this crit helps!

-snip-

Gah, this is so nice. Thanks for the awesome feedback!

Chroma is a very difficult frame to work with in Tennogen, that's for sure. He has lots going on and his textures can be a bit confusing. I had to play hide and go seek with patterns when trying to figure out what was what, haha.

That being said, Chroma really does that strong physical detail and I'll be working with that now and giving him some much needed clean ups. It's comments like these that make me much happier to fix things up lol. The nicer more constructed ones always shine out a lot more than the ones like you've given.

Well, back to Tennogen I go. :D

Added a Mesa skin.

Although I wonder how it'll go.. removing the jacket may or may not be too much of an edit.

Maybe sometime in the future.

try doing it with the collar, It looks a bit awkward without, but it wouldn't hurt to have 2 varients to show

Altering the mesh isn't allowed yet, textures are the only skins we can make at the moment. More info here: https://warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=creating-a-warframe-skin

Mmm, that is correct. I wonder if I could achieve the same effect if I used opacity on the diffuse. Although that could potentially get me back to square one with another person bringing up how mesh editing isn't allowed. I guess I probably jumped the gun when I saw the popup while uploading say to "include your .obj file".

But... They didn't alter the Mesh. It's literally only a Texture pattern..

It is/isn't. I removed the shoulder parts, back part, leg holster things, and the loopies around her waist. Other then that, yeah, texture changes.

Mmm, that is correct. I wonder if I could achieve the same effect if I used opacity on the diffuse. Although that could potentially get me back to square one with another person bringing up how mesh editing isn't allowed. I guess I probably jumped the gun when I saw the popup while uploading say to "include your .obj file".

I'm all for being able to add and remove mesh pieces, but that tends to encroach upon "alternate prime frame skin" territory(even though DE can simply choose not to accept such things). As for using opacity to hide those parts, you might get an answer from the FAQ thread. 

Edited by alexmach1

As for using opacity to hide those parts, you might get an answer from the FAQ thread. 

I wanna say thank you for pointing this out before I got myself into some sorta trouble. I think now for the time being I'll just let this skin sit on the back burner until we have a bit more flexibility in Tennogen. I think maybe the use opacity function was put into place for the newer frames that were added that have FX(Nova,Chroma, etc) on them and to hide the gray planes during preview.

• 3 weeks later...