Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rare Mat Drop Rate Has Suddenly Become Frustratingly Low.

TinyLesbianRobot

Since the addition of the blue research materials, getting a number of rare materials, materials that weren't too tough to get previously, has become hair-tearingly irritating.  Specifically, I'm referring to Control Modules and Neural Sensors.  Previously, getting these wasn't too big of a challenge.  Get some friends, run Hyena or Golem a few times, at most five, walk away with your part and start building, but today alone, I have soloed the Hyena twenty times, and didn't see a single Control Module.

Word around is that the addition of the blue mats has squished the percentage drop frate for certain rare materials even lower than it should rightfully be.  From where I'm standing, there are two solutions:

1: Reduce the drop rate for common materials, take up the slack with rare materials, returning the balance to something similar to what we had before.  I'm sure nobody would mind finding a little less Ferrite.

Or...

2: Create a separate drop table for blue mats.  Rather than dropping blue mats instead of orange mats, drop blue mats *with* orange mats, much the way bosses can drop a blueprint and a material.  This would allow the orange mat table to return to balance while still allowing blue mats to drop at the rate the developers desire.

inb4 'RNG is a harsh mistress'.  I know she is, and I'm willing to accept that for mods, BP's, keys, Forma, what have you, but when something that was reliably simple to get becomes just as difficult to farm as everything else, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth.

I just got a PM about this as well, I'll emphasize this to the devs!

Wow, that was prompt.  Thanks, Rebecca :)

I ran golem 5x last night and got 4 neural sensors

I didn't say they never dropped, I said that the drop rate has been skewed.  People are still getting the parts but much, much less reliably.

Edited by WingedAnomaly

It can be frustrating to me as well. I'd prefer to see the "Blue" materials moved off of potential boss drops completely. I've had more success finding the rare materials just by opening up tons of containers, but that can be extremely frustrating sometimes with the RNG.

Edited by goodgimp

Sticky situation because these still need to drop somewhat reliably seeing as it's 500 of each just to be able to start researching in the oracle room... But I do agree they need to make it a little easier to get the rare materials.  Ran Anyo last night for materials and some Galium and it took me 6 runs just to get one Galium which dropped off a mob...

It has dropped, for definite. I farmed for a orokin cell from 11pm to 1am trying to get 2 cells. From that I came up with one. It could just be bad luck but after the couple dozen of runs it get's tedious.

From what I've seen morphics has been the most troublesome for quite a few people.

I'll agree that morphics seem to be extinct these days. I play A LOT, and so do a couple of my friends, (60+ hours a week), so I think when I'm purposely farming for items they should come back at least in the amount of a few a day. For people that play less than me, which I'm sure is a good percentage, I could see the drop rates becoming something of a deterrent to further investment. I've purchased Plat in the first week to cut down on getting to some new items but myself and a few others I run with feel the rate is so low at times that we've considered leaving and just coming back when/if it's fixed. I don't expect them to drop from a boss on every run, but if I get one more detonite ampule from a boss I'm going to scream lol. I think one would be better off making the bosses harder than to make the players run the boss 20 times to get 3 morphics. When I need 10 of them I'm not going to love playing a game that requires me to run a boss for an entire week just to get one part of a recipe, that's my 2c. Good game for me otherwise. On a related note a friend and I ran Hyena runs for control module. After several runs we were so frustrated not getting a single drop we just walked away, and coming back to the game was hard, even a disappointment. 

Also, drop common materials from the boss drop tables. When I did my runs for a neural sensor to build a forma, only one of the times did I get the mutagen sample instead of the neural sensor, but the other times I got small circuit packs. While I DO need circuits for building my clan's reactor, and for a certain weapon, I still saw it as a trash drop, because it wasn't what I was farming Golem for.

It would be nice if each material had some obvious, reliable method of being accumulated. This kind of thing was brought up in the livestream, so it's good this is getting attention, not just blueprints.

Like right now if I wanted lots of Fieldron (or whatever it's called), where do I go? I just bum around random Corpus levels, I guess, there's no obvious way for me to improve my odds. We especially shouldn't have to base all this grinding on hearsay.

Just weighing in on this, I TEND to get 2-5 of the new 'blue' mat drops a mission.  The previously rare materials?  Except Morphics which tend to show up at weird times, I very rarely see them outside of boss kills.  I think I've collected 3 of my 30 Oro Cells via random mission drops-the rest are pretty much all from Kril from when I was trying to get Frost.  Control Modules are annoyingly rare-particularly now with how they compete with the blue drop on Hyena's loot table.

Now me, I'd like to say why not guarantee *both* rare mats on a boss kill? That would pretty much resolve the issue, and it's not like it would terribly unbalance the drop rate of things.

The drop rates definitely changed. I ran hyena about 20 times today. One drop from the boss then one drop from the locker in the same run. The locker was pretty crazy luck but having to kill Hyena 20 times for it to drop once is a bit excessive considering a good amount of blueprints require one.

I have a healthy stock of Morphics, Galium, Neuroeds and Neural Sensors, so I haven't had to check rare materials but because Control Module is on Neptune only, and I don't visit that system for anything but that I haven't had a good supply of it. It was a bit annoying to have to run so many times to get this.

From Steve's earlier post a whole lot of things are being evaluated for the drop system in general and that is great news. Hopefully they find a good solution to some of this nonsense.

Also, drop common materials from the boss drop tables. When I did my runs for a neural sensor to build a forma, only one of the times did I get the mutagen sample instead of the neural sensor, but the other times I got small circuit packs. While I DO need circuits for building my clan's reactor, and for a certain weapon, I still saw it as a trash drop, because it wasn't what I was farming Golem for.

I don't think dropping the normal materials from the boss loot tables would be the right choice, I do think there should be some RNG involved, but it's true that the implementation of the blue has pushed the rare mats to more rare.

Instead of taking of the normal mats, I'd like to see them drop 2 or 3 times the amount of normal mats in the same cube. That would keep the rare in the droprate wanted while lessening the blow of dissapointment of not getting one.

Its not just rare materials. I only started playing a few days ago, and have been trying to get the resources for the Clan Key.

I have read on the wiki that both Ferrite and Polymer Bundles are common resources, and that Polymer bundles drop in quantities of 'hundreds' per resource drop.

It seems pretty odd for me to have gotten my Morphics rare component, 2007 (need 500) Ferrite, but only have 395 of the 500 Polymer Bundles. When I do get a Polymer drop, its seems to be  in quantities of 10-20, not the hundreds the wiki says. Is the wiki wrong?