The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would A Separate Augment Slot Break The Game?

viperveteran

Would love to see it. I think it would make people take an actual look at more augments, and as long as you could still use them in a regular slot too just like the exilus mods, then it really shouldn't cause an issue. So the augment slot can only hold an augment, but the mods themselves could still be used in any regular slot. And gives the opportunity to experiment with possible new builds.

There are frames I cannot bring myself to run an augment on because as interesting as they may be I cannot bring myself to drop anything from the builds to slot an augment. I would love to have a slot for augments added exilus style, where they could still be used in the regular slots as well if I so choose, but given the limitations imposed on exilus mods I doubt we will ever get one. I do however expect the manditory mod crowd to eventually get around to complaining about the basic power mods, especially streamline and intensify, citing build diversity as they did with weapons (which I still suspect started as someone's clever way of asking for more slots that just backfired). Maybe then we'll have room on all our builds for augments galore, but that is a distant future possibility.

I'm not against drawbacks but I'm still of the opinion that not everything should have one. If we're going down that route we might as well have standard mods like intensify decreasing power efficiency opposed to a flat positive and go the way of corrupted mods for everything. Just don't think it is really needed here. Some people just want to add a twist to abilities and make their frame a bit refreshing.

You mentioned this again in your original post and I'm wondering, what 'should' the game be like exactly?

The drawback for Intensity/Continuity/Stretch is a mod slot that cannot be used for anything else. Corrupted mods give strong bonuses, but also have an overt drawback in the form of a decreased secondary stat.

I will not comment on my personal vision for the game, as it is completely subjective and non-applicable to discussion. However, the one vision that actually matters to the game is the Devs. While I don't pretend to be certain about it, there are some things we can infer from what DE has done recently.

For example:

Duration now affects efficiency of channeled abilities.

This means that Transient Fortitude and Fleeting Expertise are no longer completely free efficiency and power for Exalted Blade, Peacemaker, etc. DE implemented a drawback to minimum duration builds that forces players to consider whether they would rather have a bit more efficiency by adding duration with Continuity or more power by adding mods such as Transient Fortitude.

And adding Augment slots would just be adding power without drawback (other than an extra Forma or two), which seems to go against what DE's actions have shown in the past.